Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

Re: Tarvaris Jackson | Vikings agree to terms

"Rastak" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Great news to hear on the T-Jack signing!

And I also loved Greenways comment;

“My goal is to take any anxiety away from the Minnesota people that I’ll be there in time,” he said. “I don’t want to holdout and ruin my rookie year. I want to be a guy who is there on time. … I’m hoping to get word that we have something acceptable for both sides and get it signed and done.”

It tells me he has confidence that he'll be at camp very soon with a signed contract in hand.
    Yea, it looks promising. Plus, the other contracts are all done so what's left of the rookie pool is all there is. Really, it's just structure at this point.
    Hopefully it's real soon.

Schleppy is offline Starter

Jackson signs.....hmmmm

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 26, 2006 – 11:57 PM
    Printer friendly E-mail this story Vikings
    Vikings compete for Dwight Smith

My name is Tarvaris ... and I am a workout-aholic

Faulk out for season, might retire

Vikings: Raise for Johnson not in works

Wilf: Blaine still No. 1 site for stadium
    The Vikings and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, a second-round draft pick, agreed on a four-year contract Wednesday, leaving first-round linebacker Chad Greenway as the only one of the team's six draft picks who is unsigned.
    The Vikings' rookies and a small group of veterans are scheduled to report today for training camp in Mankato. The remainder of the team is due in Sunday.

Greenway, the 17th overall pick in the draft out of Iowa, drove from his home state of South Dakota to the Twin Cities on Wednesday and was hoping to get a deal completed.

"We're trying to get it figured out," Greenway said early Wednesday. "We really didn't have any offers until the last 24 hours. I've been sweating it out. I've had nothing to say no or yes to.

"[The Vikings] got started a little late, and they wanted to take care of their other picks. We're hoping to get it done. I want nothing more than to be on time. I'm not looking to outdo the Vikings. I just want a fair deal and to get in on time."

Greenway's agent, Marvin Demoff, has not returned calls or e-mails and the Vikings refused to comment on the talks.

"My goal is to take any anxiety away from the Minnesota people that I'll be there in time," Greenway said. The former Hawkeye standout did not return messages regarding his contract status late Wednesday night.

Right at home

One day after signing a three-year, $6.5 million deal with the Vikings, free safety Dwight Smith admitted he probably could have gotten more money if he had gone elsewhere. But if Smith had taken that route he would have lost an opportunity to be reunited Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, who was Smith's position coach for four seasons in Tampa Bay.

"We still communicated last year when I wasn't playing for Tampa," said Smith, who was released by New Orleans last week after only one season with the Saints. "I always knew that [Tomlin] was going to be a D-coordinator. I believe he's going to be a head coach in this league."

Smith said he received no assurances from the Vikings that he would start ahead of Tank Williams at the safety spot opposite Darren Sharper. Smith also did not discuss whether the Vikings will utilize his ability to play cornerback by using him in the nickel package.

"We all know I'm always ready to do whatever is needed on my team," Smith said. "We didn't rule out special teams [either]. Never rule out any of that. I love to play football and any opportunity I get to play I'm going to take."

Smith, who turns 28 next month, made 15 starts and had two interceptions in his only season with the Saints. He had signed a five-year, $15 million free-agent deal with New Orleans but did not fit into the Saints' new defensive scheme.

"Of course," it was disappointing, said Smith, who was offered a one-year deal to return to the Bucs. "When you go through what we went through last season [following Hurricane Katrina], you develop a bond with the guys on the team. I was looking forward to turning the whole thing around in the city with the team.

"I felt like I played well above average last season," he said. "If they feel like I couldn't play anymore or whatever it was, that's their opinion. I can't hold any grudges. I'm happy to be with the Vikings, and I'm ready to play football."

Etc.

• The Vikings added a fullback on Wednesday, signing rookie free agent Brandon Jones. He rushed for 1,661 yards and 10 touchdowns and caught 49 passes for 619 yards and six touchdowns during his collegiate career at Purdue. The Vikings also released three players: receiver Kelvin Kight; former Gopher cornerback Ukee Dozier; and rookie free agent running back Taurean Henderson

faninphx is offline Starter

He sounds like a good kid and an even better competitor. But let's not forget we heard the same thing from Culpepper. In five years Culpepper went from a "Golly-gee-I-can't-believe-how-lucky-I-am-to-be-here" boyscout to a "gimme-gimme-gimme!" selfish jerk. But I think Tarvaris will fare better in the long run.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Does anyone know if they're selling T-Jack jerseys yet? I checked Vikings.com, ebay, and googled, and couldn't find anything.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

that soo cool that he signed!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

That's my boy!!!!!
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

get this kid into the classroom, on the field, and behiend B.j!!!! Brad here's your prodigy teach him well so that B.chill can take him next year and show the world why we jumped the gun so we wouldn't loose him!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Just looking at that picture of T-Jack.. The man's a beast!

Who needs Culpepper now?!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123