Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. #21
    Johnson14's Avatar
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    Not earth shattering stuff from TJack there, didn't say anything that every other player on the roster wouldnt have said "we'll turn it around" etc etc.

  2. #22
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    NordicNed wrote:
    I can't get the link to work, but from reading what others have written, reads to me like TJ is and has been, nothing more than a team player. Cudo's to TJ for being so.
    Now for my little bomb, I just pray that Brett can follow suit and do the same. Be a team player, that meens, if your arm is hurt to the point that it is effecting your decisions mentaly, and effecting your passing physicaly, then it's time to suck it up and step aside for those who may be ready to step in and contribute. I've always believed that a player who tries to play hurt, can be more of a bad apple to the bunch, than a contributing factor. Right now, I'm questioning the fact, is Favre's physical state hurting this team? I'm very sure it's not helping right now. It may very well be, time for Brett to take a break and step aside, let the young healthy player in there, and see what we do as a team then...
    Yes, I'm all for TJ starting, if Brett is not able to perform at 100%, in health and mind...

    OK, which one of you logged in as Ned?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #23
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    Brick wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I know some on here don't believe it, however, I believe we have a real NFL organization that is pretty good about getting and putting quality players on the field.

    Going on the premise that they are a real NFL organization and can really judge talent, they have kept TJ around for a reason.
    Because he was CHEAP.

    Marrdro wrote:
    For me, its because he is ready.
    And your proof of that would be.....

    Marrdro wrote:
    Did he struggle early in his career? Sure, but hell, look around the league, all of them do. Its the nature of the game.
    He struggled all through his career...not just "early". And we've already discussed this ad nauseum.

    What has Jackson SHOWN - other than the ability not to say stupid things to the media - that makes you believe he's ready to start? What has he DONE to refute all of the poor play of the past? Where is the PROOF?

    Fact is, there isn't any. There's a lot of wishful thinking, a lot of conjecture based upon a lot of "what if" scenarios...but there is nothing tangible to refute all of the CRAP we saw in his first 3 years.

    And, until there is...

    Marrdro wrote:
    My guess, we will see ole TJ for a rep or two (actually predicting 5) against the Cowgirls this weekend.
    Only if it's a blow out - either way.

    Caine
    Your hate for Jackson goes well beyond the football field... or else you wouldn't be defending Favre.

    Take it how you may, but that much is evident.
    It's not Jackson I hate - I'm completely ambivalent about him. He's safely riding the bench, having no effect on my team whatsoever.

    So, while it is true I have no FAITH in him, I don't hate him...not by a long shot. IF he were installed as the starter right now, I would believe that our season was over, but I would be cheering for him to prove me wrong.

    What I HATE is the idiocy of those who are advocating starting him. You - and a handful of others - keep s[pewing isolated stats and a never ending series of "what ifs", "could be's" and "should be's" to support your opinions...but none of it is rooted ion any kind of fact.

    There is NO proof that Jackson has improved - but there is plenty to suggest that he hasn't (All of which you conveniently ignore).

    There is no proof to suggest that Favre will continue to play poorly - but an entire NFL history to suggest otherwise (All of which you conveniently ignore).

    There is no proof to suggest that Jackson would be more productive than Favre - and all kinds of proof to show that he NEVER HAS BEEN IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE (All of which you conveniently ignore).

    THAT is what I hate.

    You trying to alter that by claiming I hate Jackson is simply a transparent attempt to discredit the author because you cannot refute his comments.

    Caine

  4. #24
    jonj1 is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES wrote:
    jrjohn wrote:

    I think the late season fade had a lot to do with Bretts age. I don't see him getting stronger as the season go's on. I think he'll be out with an injury before long. I think he's already injured, but the problem is he won't concede to injury, and for the sake of his records he will stay in the game only to hurt the team like he did in NY.
    Sad.... So unless Chilly pulls him, he's not leaving.
    I don't think you could be farther off, as far as the streak goes. No professional athlete in a TEAM sport would put an individual record above the teams success.

    As for his age, it's just a number. If you have the skills and the mental make up to still get the job done at a high level, keep playing as long as a team will have you.

    Every player faces injury during the year, at that point it comes down to pain tolerance.

    Keep this in mind, and it's by no stretch an excuse. Former QB Matt Hasselbeck contacted several QB's regarding the cancer awareness footballs currently being used. The biggest complaint was they were too slick, and hard to handle. That may have contributed to favres' handling problems monday night, along with the rain and his tender elbow.[/quote]

    I don't know if the pink cancer ribbon sticker cause the fumbles??

    What I do know is Favre has had somewhere in the range of 14-16 straight out Misses in 4 games (8-9 in the jets game alone). These "Misses" were obtained from the number of incompletions minus the passes defended. Passes Defended are usually considered good defense play the other incompletions are either Misses or Drops.

    Favres numbers.(Attemp-completions/INT/PD)
    week1 NO 15-27/1-INT/6-PD=5 Misses
    week2 Mia 22-36/3-INT/8-PD=1 Miss
    week3 DET 22-34/2-INT/6-PD=3 Misses
    week4 NYJ 14-34/1-INT/9-PD=10 Misses

    Given that I saw at least 3 drops by the receivers, That's about 14-16 Misses. The numbers last week are the one's that are the most worrysome. Quartbacks in the NFL shouldn't Completely Miss the target 8-9 times a game and throw 2 INTs a game.

    Alot of posts say that TJ in 2008 faced easier defenses than Favre has this year. I looked at this statistically.It simply isn't true. Keep in mind the Saints defense made Alex Smith (275yds+82rating against NO) and Jimmy Claussen (175yds+90rating against NO)look like Brady this year. Miami, a team that held Favre to a 44 passer rating, allowed Trent Edwards a passer rating of 73. Trent Edwards was abruptly place on wavers the following week and is now the 3rd string on Jacksonville. Even the Bills can spot a crappy QB...the bills don't have nearly the O-line or the WRs that we do.

    Anyway here are the passer ratings and defensive passer ratings of the defenses they've faced for Favre this year and TJackson in 2008.

    Favre 2010
    PasserRating // DefensePassRating // Difference
    week1-- NO // 70// 84// -12
    week2-- Mia // 44// 82// -38
    week3-- DET // 68// 84// -16
    week4-- NYJ // 85// 79// +6
    Average // 67 //83 // -15


    T. Jackson 2008
    PasserRating // DefensePassRating // Difference
    week1-- GB // 59 // 72 // -13
    week2-- IND // 73 // 78 // -5
    week14-- DET // 144 // 110 // +34
    week15-- ARI // 135 // 97 // +37
    week16-- ATL // 99 // 84 // +13
    week17-- NYG // 84 // 77 // +7
    Wildcard- PHI // 45 // 73 // -29
    Average----- 92 // 85 // +7


    Yes, TJ could have handled the Philly blitz better...but statistically TJ did better in 2008 than Favres done in 2010. Hell, even Alex Smith,J. Claussen, and waived T. Edwards did better against the SAME Defenses than Favre.

    C'Mon Guys????!!!!
    None

  5. #25
    kyleburkle is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    72

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    Caine is the racist Tarvaris hater, clearly
    None

  6. #26
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    I remember a T-Jack that hit a certain speedy WR in stride multiple times that very well would have won us games but said speedy WR had stone hands, alligator arms and was 87% blind in all three eyes. If I'm not mistaken, that WR was part of our transaction of Moss (pre-Patriots). Now that we have a WR that can catch (Moss), I wouldn't be surprised to see T-Jack be at least a bit more efficient (read: All the stat-lovers here that use them to formulate arguments against T-Jack's play time would have a chance to either be A) proven wrong, or B) vindicated.)

    I'd love to see ol' Favrey-boy give his elbow a 2-3 week blow for the sake of the long run and give T-Jack his chance to show the organization, the fans, and the rest of the NFL that he's ready to take the reigns of the Viking ship post-4.

    Will this happen? No clue.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  7. #27
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    Formo wrote:
    I remember a T-Jack that hit a certain speedy WR in stride multiple times that very well would have won us games but said speedy WR had stone hands, alligator arms and was 87% blind in all three eyes. If I'm not mistaken, that WR was part of our transaction of Moss (pre-Patriots). Now that we have a WR that can catch (Moss), I wouldn't be surprised to see T-Jack be at least a bit more efficient (read: All the stat-lovers here that use them to formulate arguments against T-Jack's play time would have a chance to either be A) proven wrong, or B) vindicated.)

    I'd love to see ol' Favrey-boy give his elbow a 2-3 week blow for the sake of the long run and give T-Jack his chance to show the organization, the fans, and the rest of the NFL that he's ready to take the reigns of the Viking ship post-4.

    Will this happen? No clue.
    I used to get lots of chuckles reading posts by posters who, in one read would talk about how T-Will dropped so many perfectly thrown passes that hit in the helmet or hands, then turn right around in another thread and say how TJ couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #28
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    Caine wrote:
    There is no proof to suggest that Favre will continue to play poorly - but an entire NFL history to suggest otherwise (All of which you [Brick]conveniently ignore).
    Caine
    Favre was playing with tendonitis & a bum ankle his entire career? WOW! I did not know that.

    No proof to suggest Favre will continue to play poorly?
    Really?

    You might want to check the last half of the 2008 Jets season, because after all that is what we are talking about. A QB who is playing injured.

    Until the tendonitis is gone, I don't see a lot of room for a lot of improvement. It will not only affect his throwing, but his grip as well which was evident in the Jets game.

    Couple that with his somehow inability to see the field as of late & miss seeing wide open receivers.


    Caine wrote:
    There is no proof to suggest that Jackson would be more productive than Favre - and all kinds of proof to show that he NEVER HAS BEEN IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE (All of which you [Brick] conveniently ignore).

    THAT is what I hate..
    Just as there is little proof to me that over the course of the next 4 game stretch, Jackson would;

    1. Lose all 4 of the 4 games he was in, (Favre's only win came against a 0-2 Lions who were 2-14 last year)

    2. Throw 8 or more INT's

    3. Fumble the ball 5 or more times.

    4. Complete less than 41% of his passes.

    That in essence is what it would take for Jackson to play worse than Favre is right now. You got proof?

    Look, I'd like Favre to do great & have another miracle year like last year, but the reality of it is, it looks like it's not going to happen as long as Favre continues to play with tendonitis.

    I can't explain Favre's inability to miss seeing open receivers downfield other than failing eyesite, but if the tendonitis goes away, that may fix the fumbles and the inconsistant passes that, makes him miss wide open receivers on dump passes, make him hit Moss beautifully on 1 pass, but turn right around & overthrow him on the next to the point were Moss has to commit a 15 yard foul to prevent an interception.

    Lets hope they can keep the swelling down with injections, because that's Favre's only hope right now & he can beat the Cowboys.

    If his play is craptacular, how long are you willing to ride the rickety bandwagon?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #29
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    kyleburkle wrote:
    Caine is the racist Tarvaris hater, clearly
    Careful. Comments like that one don't get taken very lightly around here. I sincerely hope that you were being sarcastic or attempting to be funny, because if not....

  10. #30
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Tarvaris Jackson: "It's not time to panic"

    singersp wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    There is no proof to suggest that Favre will continue to play poorly - but an entire NFL history to suggest otherwise (All of which you [Brick]conveniently ignore).
    Caine
    Favre was playing with tendonitis & a bum ankle his entire career? WOW! I did not know that.

    No proof to suggest Favre will continue to play poorly?
    Really?

    You might want to check the last half of the 2008 Jets season, because after all that is what we are talking about. A QB who is playing injured.

    Until the tendonitis is gone, I don't see a lot of room for a lot of improvement. It will not only affect his throwing, but his grip as well which was evident in the Jets game.

    Couple that with his somehow inability to see the field as of late & miss seeing wide open receivers.
    And you ignore all the other times Favre has played through injury...how convenient.

    singersp wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    There is no proof to suggest that Jackson would be more productive than Favre - and all kinds of proof to show that he NEVER HAS BEEN IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE (All of which you [Brick] conveniently ignore).

    THAT is what I hate..
    Just as there is little proof to me that over the course of the next 4 game stretch, Jackson would;

    1. Lose all 4 of the 4 games he was in, (Favre's only win came against a 0-2 Lions who were 2-14 last year)

    2. Throw 8 or more INT's

    3. Fumble the ball 5 or more times.

    4. Complete less than 41% of his passes.

    That in essence is what it would take for Jackson to play worse than Favre is right now. You got proof?
    Really? You get to define the parameters under which Jackson gets to be better/worse than Favre? Again, how convenient.

    As I said elsewhere, Jackson could do a lot of things and be worse than Favre...and never throw a single pick. Jackson could continue to collapse under pressure. Continue to simply hand-off to Peterson and throw dump offs and come backs. Fail to LEAD - like usual. And throw over/under/behind receivers - like he usually does.

    So, while Favre has been doing a bit of the latter lately, he doesn't have a history of it. Fact is, you have nothing to support the idea that Jackson is any better now than he was when he was benched for Favre in '09...just a lot of wishful thinking.

    singersp wrote:
    Look, I'd like Favre to do great & have another miracle year like last year, but the reality of it is, it looks like it's not going to happen as long as Favre continues to play with tendonitis.

    I can't explain Favre's inability to miss seeing open receivers downfield other than failing eyesite, but if the tendonitis goes away, that may fix the fumbles and the inconsistant passes that, makes him miss wide open receivers on dump passes, make him hit Moss beautifully on 1 pass, but turn right around & overthrow him on the next to the point were Moss has to commit a 15 yard foul to prevent an interception.

    Lets hope they can keep the swelling down with injections, because that's Favre's only hope right now & he can beat the Cowboys.

    If his play is craptacular, how long are you willing to ride the rickety bandwagon?
    I'll ride the Favre bandwagon until we are mathematically eliminated from Play-off contention, or until Favre cannot possibly play any more for physical reasons.

    IF his elbow declines, sit him. IF his ankle declines, sit him. IF we're eliminated, sit him.

    But before that? Nope. 80% of Favre is better than 100% of Jackson - based upon the history of both players.

    Caine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tarvaris Jackson: "It should have been us"
    By Tad7 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
  2. Panic is useless, time for some optimism
    By purplepat in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 07:28 AM
  3. Tarvaris Jackson - QB Or Not QB
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 217
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
  4. TARVARIS JACKSON
    By DustinDupont in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
  5. No Time to Panic - SI ARTICLE
    By bckNblck in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 11:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •