singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tarvaris Jackson: ASU, TU standouts teaching football

[size=18px]ASU, TU standouts teaching football[/size]

June 17, 2006
    By Louise Emeagi
    Montgomery Advertiser

Former ASU quarterback Tarvaris Jackson was back in town to help with a youth football camp this week.

Each summer for the last seven, former Alabama State football players and NFL veterans Reggie Barlow and Eddie Robinson have teamed up to host a two-day charity football camp.

The camp operates in conjunction with the Carlos Vaughn Memorial Scholarship Fund, which was originally created to finance the education of Vaughn's two sons at ASU after Vaughn died seven years ago.

"Vaughn was a big Alabama State football fan," Robinson said. "He was the guy who was always sitting in the front row."

Thursday marked the start of the eighth Barlow and Robinson charity football camp. Of the 180 children who attended, most were rising high school juniors and seniors from Selma, Booker T. Washington, Tuskegee and G.W. Carver high schools.

"The camp is free," Robinson said, noting that Calhoun Foods supplied breakfast and lunch and the Cramton Bowl facility was provided by the City of Montgomery at no cost.

Barlow and Robinson picked up the tab for all other incidentals. Charging campers was not an option according to Robinson, who insists that doing so would eliminate the target group. Yet, the experiences that the kids gained are priceless.

Campers honed their skills under the instruction from area high school coaches and current NFL players including former Tuskegee University and current New York Giants defensive back Frank Walker and former ASU and current Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

Jackson's recent selection as the 64th pick overall in the second round of the 2006 NFL draft, marked the first time in 10 years that an ASU player was taken in the draft.

He is excited about his rookie season and the opportunity to learn from more experienced quarterbacks.

"I've got a couple of guys in front of me who can teach me everything," Jackson said.

Robinson is confident that Jackson will do well on the next level.

"He's a smart kid and a good athlete," Robinson said. "He has loads of talent."

Though Jackson is about to embark on an NFL career, that hasn't stopped him from thinking about life after football. Graduating sits atop of the list of priorities for psychology major.

"I plan to get back in school in spring next year," he said. "I've got a year and a half to go."

Similarly, an education has helped Robinson adjust to life beyond the field since retiring in 2002 after 11 years in the NFL. Robinson, who played professionally for five teams has since ventured into real estate in the Atlanta area and works as a color analyst on ESPNU.

Accordingly, helping children recognize the importance of an education is the primary focus of the camp.

"We're not just here to teach football, there's a lot more to life than football," Robinson said.

The message appears to be sinking in.

Brandon Davis, a senior at Green County high school, realizes that school is more important than football. "When your dreams of making the NFL are shattered, you won't have anything to fall back on if you don't have an education," he said.

ASU, TU standouts teaching football

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jack44 is offline Waterboy

Re: Tarvaris Jackson: ASU, TU standouts teaching football

I think Jackson was a great pick up. It's good to see that he is interested in continuing his education and that he is envolved in community activities like the one in this article. I can't wait to see this guy on the feild in purple!

MplsViking is offline Starter

i know we already covered this... but is anyone 100% sure if it is tarvaris or tavaris? i looked up both on google and there was tons of searches on him for both ways... help?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

It's Tarvaris...at least according to the Vikes' official site.

Tarvaris is definately going to benefit from having Johnson and McMahon ahead of him. He has the opportunity to pick up a lot that otherwise he wouldn't be able to learn. He seems like a smart guy and we already know he's a hell of an athlete. I'm still not 100% sold on him, but I think Childress made a pretty good choice.