Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Tarvaris Jackson

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    ... But the POINT of my thread was not to belittle TJ but to say how sad it is when we as Viking fans are happy with just having a QB that doesn't make a mistake. No reflection on TJ, just that we, as fans, don't want more. I know he's the best we got and of course whether you like Childress or not the fact is we passed on some experienced FA to go with him. I hope he pans out. I don't want to break in a new draft choice next year.
    I think I should point something out relative to the 'doesn't make a mistake' bit from this past game.
    Usually when people say that, I think they're referring to the fact that a QB doesn't turn the ball over.
    But here, in the Chicago game, Tarvaris really didn't make a single mistake with his reads.
    He only threw passes to guys that were open.
    That's pretty impressive for a young guy.

Also, expectations are always tempered with young guys.
    The Patriots didn't expect much out of Tom Brady when he was first in there, now their expectations have been raised.
    Tarvaris hasn't raised our expectations dramatically, but neither has he completely bombed.
    Hopefully, we'll be able to expect more out of him in the future.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"VIKINAT0R" wrote:
    WE beat Chicago 34-31. Tarvaris Jackson passed 9-23, 136 yards, and a TD. 9 COMPLETIONS. I don't care if its the bears. Their defence isn't top like it used to be. I'm not saying their bad, but their not THAT good. We won, just because of AP. Can anyone tell me the other QB's we have on the team? I don't think Jackson is doing it for us. Look at his stats.
    Not sure if you watched the game but did you take into consideration the 5 drops the WRs had?
    2 of them could have been for TDs and another could have been a long pass.
    As I tell everyone else here certain stats mean nothing to me.
    Look at Kyle Orton three years ago and Ben Rothelsburder 2 years ago.
    to me TJs job right now is to manage the game.
    He did just fine.
    BTW he is 2-1 as a starter this year.
    Holcomb is 0-2.
    The one game he lost (even though it was bad) the Vikings could have easily won that game if Bollinger didn't fumble the ball.
    How's that for a stat?

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

"VIKINAT0R" wrote:
    WE beat Chicago 34-31. Tarvaris Jackson passed 9-23, 136 yards, and a TD. 9 COMPLETIONS. I don't care if its the bears. Their defence isn't top like it used to be. I'm not saying their bad, but their not THAT good. We won, just because of AP. Can anyone tell me the other QB's we have on the team? I don't think Jackson is doing it for us. Look at his stats.
    Sorry dude, but I really gotta question your fanhood here. Where were u all season yo. Stats mean nothing, football is played on the field, not in a classroom or on paper. Cut T-Jack some slack here.

ALL DAY!!!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    ... But the POINT of my thread was not to belittle TJ but to say how sad it is when we as Viking fans are happy with just having a QB that doesn't make a mistake. No reflection on TJ, just that we, as fans, don't want more. I know he's the best we got and of course whether you like Childress or not the fact is we passed on some experienced FA to go with him. I hope he pans out. I don't want to break in a new draft choice next year.
    I think I should point something out relative to the 'doesn't make a mistake' bit from this past game.
    Usually when people say that, I think they're referring to the fact that a QB doesn't turn the ball over.
    But here, in the Chicago game, Tarvaris really didn't make a single mistake with his reads.
    He only threw passes to guys that were open.
    That's pretty impressive for a young guy.

Also, expectations are always tempered with young guys.
    The Patriots didn't expect much out of Tom Brady when he was first in there, now their expectations have been raised.
    Tarvaris hasn't raised our expectations dramatically, but neither has he completely bombed.
    Hopefully, we'll be able to expect more out of him in the future.
    Well, he played ok vs. ATL.
    He bombed vs. DET.
    He played ok vs. CHI.

That is exactly what should be expected of him. We are happy because he has met expectations, but yes it is kind of sad that our expectations are so low.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "VIKINAT0R" wrote:
    TJack made NO mistakes...I'll take that ANY DAY!
    Give the guy a break...he was starting his SIXTH game.
    Heck, the Lions gave Harrington more time than that, the Bores gave Grossman more time than that...even the Chargers and Bengals gave Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith, respectively, more time than that.
    IF TJack can keep away from turnovers (and gets progressively better), then I am just fine with him at QB.
    Heck, the Ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer not making mistakes and just letting the defense and running game win games for him (sound like another team that wears purple that you know?).
    Gezzz, how low have we fallen when we are happy a QB doesn't make a mistake and only completes
    9 of 23 pass attempts and overthrows or underthrows several receivers.
    I have stated since last year that with the team that we have, we could win plenty of games if the offense limits mistakes.
    Therefore, if the QB doesn't throw INTs or fumble the ball in stupid situations, we should be in good position to win most games.
    Now, do I want to see TJack make more plays (like the TWill bomb) as the season progresses...heck yeah!
    But I certainly don't want him forcing the ball into situations where the risk/return rate is low...and that is what good QBs avoid...forcing the ball.
    If Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl by limiting the mistakes he made and letting the strength of the football team win games for him, then there is no reason why we can't follow the same formula.
    I have also stated that I would be happy with an AVERAGE performance from TJack every week.
    He performed average (73.8 rating) for the Chicago game...and we WON...good enough for me!
    Will he get better every week?
    That is a question that I hope to see a positive answer to in the coming weeks.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"VIKINAT0R" wrote:
    When I get big I want to buy an electric guitar, when I get real big.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

Im with cojo on this, I cant believe you dont want more from a QB... have any of you ever played? The Qb is the leader and if the leader sux, the rest of the team most overcome. I just think the Vikings are selling themselves short on settling for This QB
    as were the Bears with Grossman, as were the Lions with Harrington, chargers with Leaf...and of those the only one TJ comes close to is Grossman...I just see excuses for this kid, I dont think he will ever play elswhere...when he didnt turn it over and was 9 of 23 Thats his best game....put him out on the waiver wire I gaurantee there is not a bite( I know trade deadline is past) A stronger Pass defense and a good to great QB and this team rolls

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    Im with cojo on this, I cant believe you dont want more from a QB... have any of you ever played? The Qb is the leader and if the leader sux, the rest of the team most overcome. I just think the Vikings are selling themselves short on settling for This QB
    as were the Bears with Grossman, as were the Lions with Harrington, chargers with Leaf...and of those the only one TJ comes close to is Grossman...I just see excuses for this kid, I dont think he will ever play elswhere...when he didnt turn it over and was 9 of 23 Thats his best game....put him out on the waiver wire I gaurantee there is not a bite( I know trade deadline is past) A stronger Pass defense and a good to great QB and this team rolls
    Thats why you're soonerbornNbread not vikingsbornNbread .

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    i guarentee there is a bite a young QB who is learning on the fly who has all the physical tools to be a good qb, but just needs time... i dont care about the stats with him now as much as i will in the future, he showed alot of poise and promise in that chicago game and many of you are missing that

Thanks josdin00

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

See I like TJ! I really do..thats why I wasn't for trading up for him and I was for drafting Quinn. But now that we have a AD and the new kid for the Browns is doing good...I can imagine the Vikes going after Quinn one day in free agency or via trade. They are represented by the same agent too. Besides my "dreaming" there are QB's available that could and would start for the Vikes at a low cost and be effective. But why should they? The Vikes have a plan..lets stick with it as fans also.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast