Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tarvaris continues to struggle !

TJ looked fine Friday night.
    Still needs to improve of course but he played well.
    No INTs or fumbles is what I'm glad to see.
    If he can hold onto the football and be smart he won't have to be a superstar for the Vikings to win.
    This year I believe his goal should be not to lose football games by taking what the defenses give him and taking care of the ball.
    When his 1st two reads aren't open scramble.
    He showed he can do that.
    I look forward to seeing him progress.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    TJ looked fine Friday night.
    Still needs to improve of course but he played well.
    No INTs or fumbles is what I'm glad to see.
    If he can hold onto the football and be smart he won't have to be a superstar for the Vikings to win.
    This year I believe his goal should be not to lose football games by taking what the defenses give him and taking care of the ball.
    When his 1st two reads aren't open scramble.
    He showed he can do that.
    I look forward to seeing him progress.
    I agree completely. If he can play mistake free football and play with poise when we need it, we will be in the position to win a lot of our games next year. Of course, that's a lot to ask for. I thought he showed veteran QB poise stepping up in the pocket and hitting the open receivers friday while using scrambling as a last option. We'll see if he can improve on that for the 1st quarter this Thursday.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Big" wrote:
    I think Tavaris looked nice and sharp. The thing that stood out the most was pocket awareness. He could feel the pocket collapse without having to look. A few of his throws were slightly off target but I'm sure that will improve.

My only concern is with his running ability. While he is a phenominal athlete who looks good running, I have rarely seen him get by the first tackler. I remember last year he juked one guy out of his shoes but that was the sole highlight of his running ability. Don't get me wrong, this is NOT a knock on the kid, I'd rather have my QB pass than run anyday! But after seeing Thigpen scramble and pick up a couple first downs, I just realised that I didn't see Jackson evade a tackler through any moves. It was all speed.

The lesson? TJ is no Vick or Vince Young. But I have no problems with that. He was decisive. If nothing was open, he tucked it an ran it. That's 50% improvement over last year's QB.

Big C, I might be wrong here when I say this, however, mobility related to TJ doesn't mean he can get down the field like Vick.

When I read his scouting reports I equated that to ability to being able to do roll outs and move around/out of the pocket as needed to run the WCO.

Basically, I think of him along the lines of Steve Young with respect to his ability to run.
    He can do it if needed but it isn't his forte.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Basically, I think of him along the lines of Steve Young with respect to his ability to run.
    ;D
    It's just good to see that Childress will let him run as an option if Jackson sees open field.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"so-cal" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D
    It's just good to see that Childress will let him run as an option if Jackson sees open field.
    It might have been my eyes and the Corona's however, I also believe I saw him make at least two audibles from pass to run.

Again, no proof just what I saw.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "so-cal" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D
    It might have been my eyes and the Corona's however, I also believe I saw him make at least two audibles from pass to run.

Again, no proof just what I saw.
    I saw the same thing.
    They were for positive yards I think.
    After reading that Childress wouldn't let Brad audible last season, this is a welcome bonus.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Considering this was the first pre-season game, Tarvaris looked great , did you even watch, or did you just want to get everyone angry. Will this guy be a Joe Montanna, who knows, but right now he brings some excitement back to our offense. With nothing but up side for Tarvaris I see a vastly improved offense. Shoot we haven't even seen but one little pre-season game.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

YOU continue to struggle.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Hey, lets put a lot of stock into a preseason game.

Big C is offline Coordinator

Thanks for the info on TJs scouting report Marrdro. I never looked in to it but that sounds spot on. He looked really comfortable rolling out of the pocket. When I first saw him on the field last year, he visually "looked" like Vick wearing purple! I'm glad the similarities stop there!

I think Troy stepped up nicely and Wade showed why we signed him to a lucrative deal. McCaulley was frickin EVERYTHING I've been reading about on Kfan. All in all, a good outing. Hoping to see some plays with Rice playing with the first team offense.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast