Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tarkenton: Vikings 'need to play Ponder

Fran Tarkenton: Vikings 'need to play Christian Ponder

"I told people back before the Vikings made the move, 'If you think Donovan McNabb is the answer, he's not.' You're going with another old quarterback.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_19038438

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    "I told people back before the Vikings made the move, 'If you think Donovan McNabb is the answer, he's not.' You're going with another old quarterback.
    This is the part where most people chime in and once again tell Fran to shut his pie hole because the senile old bastard doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just like they did the past two years.

Right?
    Last edited by singersp; 10-05-2011 at 06:14 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

drat is offline Waterboy
    I am with Fran, He is the man. I was going to post bring back Fran and Bud, but I didnt want to get blasted. They both have to be steaming about the team this year

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I agree with him, but he's a dumbass when he says "In Green Bay, they got rid of Brett Favre and went with Aaron Rodgers. They didn't just win a Super Bowl. They're set for the next 10 years." Rodgers sat for like 3-4 years. Idk why he thinks bringing up Rodgers will help his point unless he thinks we will NEVER play Ponder.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious we never should have signed McNabb. Should we have brought in Favre? Probably not, but he brought a lot of money to the organization (and took a good amount too).

Bottom line, we are now seeing what happens when a team uses temporary patch-work fixes instead on focusing on the team as a whole. I can't see our team's identity.

Also, I'm fairly certain we brought in McNabb for the jersey sales. Wilf couldn't get over his Favre fever... or should I say his bank account couldn't.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    I figure we should let him play to see what we have in him. It can tell us what to do with the #1 pick we're staring in the face currently.....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorSPL View Post
    I figure we should let him play to see what we have in him. It can tell us what to do with the #1 pick we're staring in the face currently.....
    +1
    Purple till i die

Part of me wants to play him, but with this line he may get killed in short order. He has more mobility than Donny, but all it takes is one massive hit from his blindside and it's all over but the crying.

If I were to play him, I would start him out with three step drops and fire. Or three step drops and run if reads are covered. He can't afford to sit in the pocket(which isn't much at this point) and wait for the inevitable freight train type hit.

The only other solution would be designed roll outs sprinkled with a few shotguns. At least with shotgun he would have more reaction time when the line crumples like Rosie O'Donnell's lawn chair.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I look at it this way. If we are going to play ponder next yer I have no faith that the OL will be any better than it is this year.

Hutch will be even older
    Loadholt may or may not improve
    Then you have the LT, The C and the RG.

Even if you change all of those positions out there is absolutely no guarantee the play will improve and actually a better chance they will take a step back until they can get their chemistry down.

So what then? Do we wait another 2-3 years to play Ponder until the line is up to par? And what is even to say it will happen that fast considering we have had this issue for going on 6 years now and it is still right where it was then.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I look at it this way. If we are going to play ponder next yer I have no faith that the OL will be any better than it is this year.

Hutch will be even older
    Loadholt may or may not improve
    Then you have the LT, The C and the RG.

Even if you change all of those positions out there is absolutely no guarantee the play will improve and actually a better chance they will take a step back until they can get their chemistry down.

So what then? Do we wait another 2-3 years to play Ponder until the line is up to par? And what is even to say it will happen that fast considering we have had this issue for going on 6 years now and it is still right where it was then.
    Great point. Everyone says Ponder will get killed behind our line, but why assume it will be any better next year? And if we drafted Luck, there goes our first pick which is our best shot at improving our o-line, so should we play Luck and let him get killed back there?

We have a lot to address in the draft next year, but there's no guarantees that we'll get Jake Long or someone even close.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast