Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Tarkenton can't stop talking

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Funny, the same crowd that wants Lord Dickhead Noodle Arm here are the same ones dissing ole Fran the Man and what is so funny about it is, they are actually saying he should shut up cause he is calling out a bunch of cheating ass holes called the Steelers.

Whats next fella's?
    You gonna say its OK for our current crop of Vikes to Juice it up to if it means a SB?

Sad, how very sad.

:'(

Go getem Fran.........I still have your back.
    Yep, they are dissing Fran as a hypocrite, yet they are licking their chops of us signing a hypocrite.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Funny, the same crowd that wants Lord Dickhead Noodle Arm here are the same ones dissing ole Fran the Man and what is so funny about it is, they are actually saying he should shut up cause he is calling out a bunch of cheating jiggly butt holes called the Steelers.

Whats next fella's?
    You gonna say its OK for our current crop of Vikes to Juice it up to if it means a SB?

Sad, how very sad.

:'(

Go getem Fran.........I still have your back.
    Yep, they are dissing Fran as a hypocrite, yet they are licking their chops of us signing a hypocrite.
    Again, I wonder sometimes how many of them that are dissing the man even saw him play........

Some of my fondest memories of the game are of him running around like a damn chicken back there keeping a play alive so someone could get open.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Tarkenton should just shut the hell up...what does he think he's going to achieve with this? The Steelers had one of the best defenses in history, and pretty much kicked his ass that day.
    1. A lot of players were "juicing it up" in the 70's & early 80's, but none so much as the Steelers. As Hasslett stated, "...the Pittsburgh Steelers' use of the drugs during Super Bowl championship seasons in the 1970s brought steroids into vogue around the NFL".

2. I can't honestly say one way or another if back then it was against league policy to do so.

3. Knowing the kind of coach Grant was, I would find it highly improbable that he would allow his players to "juice it up"

Tarkenton is referring to the Steelers offensive line, specifically Webster and Courson, who didn't even play in that Super Bowl. And the last time I looked, Tark lined up against the Steelers defense, not the offense. The fact is he couldn't get out of his own way that day. Does anyone say that the Steelers defensive players used steroids? Not that I've heard. Lambert played at 215? He was not on the juice...and I doubt any of the others on D were. Of course, I don't know for sure.

I know that the Steelers were known as one of the biggest abusers of steroids in the 70's, but if the tables were turned and the Vikings won a few Super Bowls under this "cloud of suspicion" placed on the Steelers, would we care? Would we say there should be an asterisk added to the books, or we would have to forfeit the titles? Hmmm, let me think...no, I doubt anyone would care. I wouldn't.

And repeat, Tark should shut up already...sour grapes.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Tarkenton should just shut the hell up...what does he think he's going to achieve with this? The Steelers had one of the best defenses in history, and pretty much kicked his jiggly butt that day.
    1. A lot of players were "juicing it up" in the 70's & early 80's, but none so much as the Steelers. As Hasslett stated, "...the Pittsburgh Steelers' use of the drugs during Super Bowl championship seasons in the 1970s brought steroids into vogue around the NFL".

2. I can't honestly say one way or another if back then it was against league policy to do so.

3. Knowing the kind of coach Grant was, I would find it highly improbable that he would allow his players to "juice it up"

Tarkenton is referring to the Steelers offensive line, specifically Webster and Courson, who didn't even play in that Super Bowl. And the last time I looked, Tark lined up against the Steelers defense, not the offense. The fact is he couldn't get out of his own way that day. Does anyone say that the Steelers defensive players used steroids? Not that I've heard. Lambert played at 215? He was not on the juice...and I doubt any of the others on D were. Of course, I don't know for sure.

I know that the Steelers were known as one of the biggest abusers of steroids in the 70's, but if the tables were turned and the Vikings won a few Super Bowls under this "cloud of suspicion" placed on the Steelers, would we care? Would we say there should be an asterisk added to the books, or we would have to forfeit the titles? Hmmm, let me think...no, I doubt anyone would care. I wouldn't.

I bet you voted for Manny to play in the "All Star" game to....... :'( :'( :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Tarkenton should just shut the hell up...what does he think he's going to achieve with this? The Steelers had one of the best defenses in history, and pretty much kicked his jiggly butt that day.

Haha, no...I'm actually pissed off at all the athletes who use "performance enhancing" drugs of any kind. My point was that going back 30+ years and dredging up that stuff which can't be proved and is basically hearsay, well, what good comes from it now? Just seems Tark is using this as an excuse as to why we lost to the Steelers, and it's just not so. The Steelers held the Raiders and Vikings to under 40 yards rushing in those 2 games.

What I don't understand is the linkage from Tark speaking about Favre and steroids. The press knows he's on a roll.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

Haha, no...I'm actually pissed off at all the athletes who use "performance enhancing" drugs of any kind. My point was that going back 30+ years and dredging up that stuff which can't be proved and is basically hearsay, well, what good comes from it now? Just seems Tark is using this as an excuse as to why we lost to the Steelers, and it's just not so. The Steelers held the Raiders and Vikings to under 40 yards rushing in those 2 games.

What I don't understand is the linkage from Tark speaking about Favre and steroids. The press knows he's on a roll.
    There are a few of us on here that are still wondering how the Vikes could have lost to the

Chiefs......
    Dolphins...
    Steelers.....
    Raiders......

Clearly they were the better team in all 4 of them (purple glasses off).
    K

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=VikingMike link=topic=52100.msg955727#msg955727 date=1244421865]

There are a few of us on here that are still wondering how the Vikes could have lost to the

Chiefs......
    Dolphins...
    Steelers.....
    Raiders......

K
    [/quote]
    I am, Vikings were heavily favoured against the Chiefs.
    Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders were all good teams, but the Vikings could have been a Dynasty, instead of a joke.
    I wonder how they never managed to even win once.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=52100.msg955900#msg955900 date=1244457529]

Chiefs......
    Dolphins...
    Steelers.....
    Raiders......

K
    [/quote]
    Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders were all good teams, but the Vikings could have been a Dynasty, instead of a joke.
    [/quote]
    In at least one case, they played a bunch of cheaters.
    ;D

Course, according to some, ole Fran should just shut up.
    Again, I contend that crowd didn't see Ole Fran play.
    If they did, there would be no way in hell they would throw him under the bus for some PUKER yutz called Lord Dickhead Noodle arm.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=VikingMike link=topic=52100.msg955938#msg955938 date=1244465833]

Chiefs......
    Dolphins...
    Steelers.....
    Raiders......

K
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    In at least one case, they played a bunch of cheaters.

;D

Course, according to some, ole Fran should just shut up.
    Again, I contend that crowd didn't see Ole Fran play.
    If they did, there would be no way in hell they would throw him under the bus for some PUKER yutz called Lord Dickhead Noodle arm.
    [/quote]

I can say that I have watched Fran play and think he is a hypocrite saying some of the things he has.
    I love Fran as a player and glad he was a VIking.
    But let's not forget what he did to 2 different teams.
    He Culpeppered his way out of the Vikings and the Giants.
    (I like that analogy
    ;D)

He has the right to say what he wants and if that is what he thinks so be it.
    But if we want to compare the two, Favre never cried his way out of town.
    Yes he retired then wanted to come back.
    At that time the Pack didn't want him back.
    Nothing wrong with that on either side.
    He joined the Jets and had a bad end of season.
    He retired again and asked for his release as was promised when he first signed with the Jets.
    So now he wants back in.
    Maybe he changes his mind a lot but I have never heard him throw people under the bus for wanting to play the game they have loved all their lives.
    This guy was one of the most dedicated players in the game.
    He is (as much as I or others may not like it) what the game of football is all about when he is out there playing.
    He plays with his guts and heart.
    He loves to have fun when playing the game.
    That is what football is all about.
    Like it or not.

Just like everyone I hated Favre playing us the past 15 or so years.
    I hated it when we lost specifically to him and GB.
    I have cursed him on manyh occasions.
    The fact is I still always admired him as a football player and wished he was a Viking that whole time.
    No one can gaurantee success of a football team to begin the season.
    We know Kitna tried and now Kevin Jones is trying to.
    But I don't think that worked out for them so far.
    The bottom line is what is best for this team.
    People have varied opinions.
    IMO no one is wrong here.
    People have valid points on both sides of wanting him or not wanting him.
    There are concerns.
    We all have them.
    But not wanting the player because of who he played for previously is not a valid reason.
    Not wanting him because you are concerned about his arm is valid.
    For me, he is better than the rest right now so I want the team improved as much as possible.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

Chiefs......
    Dolphins...
    Steelers.....
    Raiders......

K
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Clearly you weren't there for those 4 superbowls.

They weren't the better team in any of the 4 games.

They had a real chance to win the game against the Steelers, which was a defensive struggle. But were easily outclassed in the other 3 games.

Bud Grant took the lowest paid team in the NFL, and turned them into overachievers.

They may not have won a superbowl. But they were not a joke.

When the Vikings were a better team, eg. 1998, they didn't get to the superbowl.

The Vikings fans all want to win the superbowl. I personally believe this team is heading in that direction and have a good chance over the next two or three years.

To dismiss the entire franchise history as a joke, because it hasn't won the superbowl yet, is disrespectful to all those players who have played on this team.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast