Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tank re-signs

Re: Tank re-signs

I'd like to see Sharper remain a starter out there with Tank and Blue battling it our for the other safety spot. Both Blue and Tank are heavy hitters and Blue played nicely as a rookie. Moving Smith to nickel would be a smart move. Our secondary would be very solid.
    Go Big Or Go Home!!!

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"Zeus" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    This all but assures that Dwight Smith will no longer be a Viking.. A combo of Sharper, Williams, and Blue as our safeties is just fine with me.. If Tank is 100%, it would be nice to see him and Sharper as our starters with a young and hungry Greg Blue waiting for his chance..
    Unless, of course, Frazier wants to convert Smith back into a corner.
    I've read nothing about this, so this is pure speculation on my part

Smith does have that flexibility as a player....

=Z=
    This will no doubt be picked up by Pioneer Press and subsequently be heard on the NFL Network. Nice work Zeus. ;D

MinnyFan is offline Rookie

wow, this is kinda weird. I seriously had a dream lastnight that the vikings resigned tank williams.
    I hope i have a dream soon that we get calvin johnson even though that is pretty much impossible.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "ballhog27" wrote:
    I can't believe that I have to hear someone actually say that Darren Sharper is "long in the tooth." That means absolutely nothing...As Green Bay found out after not resigning him.

Well just in case you didn't notice Green Bay didn't resign him a good 2-3 years ago. He was 28. Now is in his 30's, 30 is a little old to be playing Safety despite the numerous ones playing at that age now. His play this year showed his age which is exactly why he is getting long in the tooth.

Being in his 30's has nothing at all to do with it.. He still played fine for us.. You also have to remember that he was playing in the Cover 2 defense, something that he didn't do his whole career with the Packers.. He got switched from FS to SS.. He was playing out of his element, yet that is no excuse for a pro..

Most any player would have had a transition period if he not only was changing defenses, but also positions.. I would like to see whoever wins the starting safety spot opposite of Sharper to play the SS position, and move Sharper back to FS.. Then if he falters next season you will have the right to say he is long in the tooth..

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "ballhog27" wrote:
    I can't believe that I have to hear someone actually say that Darren Sharper is "long in the tooth." That means absolutely nothing...As Green Bay found out after not resigning him.

Well just in case you didn't notice Green Bay didn't resign him a good 2-3 years ago. He was 28. Now is in his 30's, 30 is a little old to be playing Safety despite the numerous ones playing at that age now. His play this year showed his age which is exactly why he is getting long in the tooth.

Being in his 30's has nothing at all to do with it.. He still played fine for us.. You also have to remember that he was playing in the Cover 2 defense, something that he didn't do his whole career with the Packers.. He got switched from FS to SS.. He was playing out of his element, yet that is no excuse for a pro..

Most any player would have had a transition period if he not only was changing defenses, but also positions.. I would like to see whoever wins the starting safety spot opposite of Sharper to play the SS position, and move Sharper back to FS.. Then if he falters next season you will have the right to say he is long in the tooth..
    You hit the nail on the head. Many people forget that Sharper indeed switch from being a FS to a SS. Contrary to how Tomlin stated that both the safety spots are equal it's still a change. It's like asking a left tackle to line up on the right. There's going to be some kind of adjustment period. Like stated earlier I would like to see Sharper back to his FS spot and have Williams and Blue battle it out for the SS spot.
    Go Big Or Go Home!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    This all but assures that Dwight Smith will no longer be a Viking.. A combo of Sharper, Williams, and Blue as our safeties is just fine with me.. If Tank is 100%, it would be nice to see him and Sharper as our starters with a young and hungry Greg Blue waiting for his chance..
    I've read nothing about this, so this is pure speculation on my part.

=Z=
    Especially if we can find some way to rid the team of Smoot's contract...maybe trading him to one of the top three teams in the draft as part of a move up to get CJ!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

=Z=
    Especially if we can find some way to rid the team of Smoot's contract...maybe trading him to one of the top three teams in the draft as part of a move up to get CJ!
    ;D
    Much as I would like to see both those things happen I think you are smoking too much of that bayou bong weed if you think it actually could happen. Unfortunately, after the benching he got last year Smoot's stock in the league has probably plummeted.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"Desertvikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

=Z=
    ;D
    Much as I would like to see both those things happen I think you are smoking too much of that bayou bong weed if you think it actually could happen. Unfortunately, after the benching he got last year Smoot's stock in the league has probably plummeted.
    ROTF!!!

I have never heard such a long and hillarious way of saying pot!

As for the probability of those things happening, well... Stranger things have transpired in the past...
    -Sno

"Zeus" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    sharper played fine this year, it was just the scheme that limited his numbers..the guy is easily still a top 5 safety in the game..you cant even think about losing a leader like that
    Mike Brown
    Troy Polamalu
    Ed Reed
    Brian Dawkins
    Roy Williams
    Will Demps
    Michael Huff
    Sean Taylor
    Bob Sanders

There - that's off the top of my head - a list of safeties who are all markedly better than Darren Sharper at this time.

=Z=
    No way. That list is crazy.

Mike Brown- Very good but the Bears defense scheme and coaching makes everyone look great.

Troy Polamalu- Awesome player but what would happen to him if he was asked to play a different position in a new scheme and not roam the field at will? (Guess we will see soon )

Ed Reed- The man, way better than Sharper.

Brian Dawkins-Again the man, a little better than Sharper.

Roy Williams- Roy can be on this list when he stops blowing coverage and hitting his own players in the back on every tackle.

Will Demps- What a joke that he's even on here.

Michael Huff-Someday he will be awesome. Today there is no way you can say hes better than Sharper.

Sean Taylor- Way to inconsistent. But badass and very good when he's playing at full potential.

Bob Sanders- Good, but way to young to claim that hes better than Sharper.

I agree that these guys are all good safeties and these are just my personal opinions but I think that list is pretty crazy.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    good. hes a hard hitting mo fo and i like the atttitude he brings to the team.
    Based on all those tackles he made in training camp?

I'm glad they resigned Tank, but we really don't know anything about what he's capable of after his second major injury in 3 years.

=Z=
    Yeah, but his name is Tank.
    That is good.

I'm excited about this signing because he's buddies with a guy that works for me and he's visiting sometime soon.
    I'll get a bottle of his taint sweat and send it to Del Rio.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast