Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tank re-signs

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tank re-signs

"Zeus" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    This all but assures that Dwight Smith will no longer be a Viking.. A combo of Sharper, Williams, and Blue as our safeties is just fine with me.. If Tank is 100%, it would be nice to see him and Sharper as our starters with a young and hungry Greg Blue waiting for his chance..
    Unless, of course, Frazier wants to convert Smith back into a corner.
    I've read nothing about this, so this is pure speculation on my part.

Smith does have that flexibility as a player....

=Z=

Very good point, I never thought of that.. With Smoot likely being traded, or released, that may be a very good choice to make.. Good thinking Zeus..

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

I'm glad we re-signed the Tank, though I still don't see why we would let Smith go...in my eyes he really didn't play all that bad I thought. I would of actually rather see Sharper on the chopping block, he is getting long in the tooth and Smith and Tank have some years left in them.

We didn't give up many big plays and when we did they all coincidently were on Sharper's side. Not to mention I counted numerous times this season where Sharper would be coming up and completely miss a tackle and was late in some cases as well.

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

I can't believe that I have to hear someone actually say that Darren Sharper is "long in the tooth." That means absolutely nothing...As Green Bay found out after not resigning him. I think that the idea of signing Tank is good, but I do also like the prospect of moving Dwight Smith to corner (if Tank stays healthy). Lastly, we really can't tell about this yet as the draft is a huge factor on who will be released and who is going to stick around.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

"ballhog27" wrote:
    I can't believe that I have to hear someone actually say that Darren Sharper is "long in the tooth." That means absolutely nothing...As Green Bay found out after not resigning him.

Well just in case you didn't notice Green Bay didn't resign him a good 2-3 years ago. He was 28. Now is in his 30's, 30 is a little old to be playing Safety despite the numerous ones playing at that age now. His play this year showed his age which is exactly why he is getting long in the tooth.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "ballhog27" wrote:
    I can't believe that I have to hear someone actually say that Darren Sharper is "long in the tooth." That means absolutely nothing...As Green Bay found out after not resigning him.

Well just in case you didn't notice Green Bay didn't resign him a good 2-3 years ago. He was 28. Now is in his 30's, 30 is a little old to be playing Safety despite the numerous ones playing at that age now. His play this year showed his age which is exactly why he is getting long in the tooth.
    I can name several good CBs playing into their 30s and being productive.
    One is Darrell Green.
    He played well into his 30s and he was great until he retired.
    Sharper is still productive.
    I will admit he did drop a couple of sure INTs last year but that has nothinig to do with his age or ability.
    Remember he was put into a different system from what he played his enitre career.
    I would not get rid of Sharper.
    He's a main part of this defense.
    Moving Smith as a nickle back may be a smart move.

"ejmat" wrote:
    "UndisputedVike" wrote:
    "ballhog27" wrote:

I can name several good CBs playing into their 30s and being productive.
    One is Darrell Green.
    He played well into his 30s and he was great until he retired.
    Sharper is still productive.
    I will admit he did drop a couple of sure INTs last year but that has nothinig to do with his age or ability.
    Remember he was put into a different system from what he played his enitre career.
    I would not get rid of Sharper.
    He's a main part of this defense.
    Moving Smith as a nickle back may be a smart move.
    Oh yes, I followed Darrell Green his whole career in Washington since I live in Maryland. He was still productive because he was one of the Elite corners to play the game not to mention he was the fastest man in the NFL for a long time which helps a lot.

I know some are productive in their 30's and some aren't but watching Sharper this year he just looked very sluggish and slow is basically what I mean and at times lost. Basically hurting us on many critical plays at times.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Sharper also played his first year as a SS..

Put tank or blue at SS

And let Sharper have his position back

He will show us why he leads the league in picks over the last like 5 years I believe

One Love

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

sharper played fine this year, it was just the scheme that limited his numbers..the guy is easily still a top 5 safety in the game..you cant even think about losing a leader like that
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:
    sharper played fine this year, it was just the scheme that limited his numbers..the guy is easily still a top 5 safety in the game..you cant even think about losing a leader like that
    Mike Brown
    Troy Polamalu
    Ed Reed
    Brian Dawkins
    Roy Williams
    Will Demps
    Michael Huff
    Sean Taylor
    Bob Sanders

There - that's off the top of my head - a list of safeties who are all markedly better than Darren Sharper at this time.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

should be interesting to see if he can remain healthy...Tank Williams is a hard hitter...I d like to see him come through...Stay Healthy Darn it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast