Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Talks begin with Burleson??

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_457790_63&prov=citadel&type=story

[size=18px]Talks Begin With Burleson [/size]

Viking Update Staff - Scout.com
    October 26, 2005 at 10:21am ET

The Vikings return to practice today with their sights set on Carolina. But behind the scenes, the team is looking at one player far beyond this week.

It's rare when the Vikings or any NFL team for that matter discuss player contracts during the season. The excuse typically given is that it causes a distraction.

Well, considering the distractions that have surrounded the Vikings this season, what would make contract talks be any different? VU has been told that the Vikings have begun negotiations with wide receiver Nate Burleson on a new contract that would keep him with the Vikings for several years.

The talks are preliminary at this point, but the word is that both sides are expecting to try to work out a four- or five-year deal that would include a substantial signing bonus in the $5-8 million range.

When Randy Moss was traded, Burleson became the No. 1 wide receiver on the Vikings depth chart, but when he signed his original rookie contract, there wasn't nearly the confidence that the team has in him now. His rookie deal was a three-year contract that is set to expire at the end of the season.

While Burleson would be a restricted free agent following the season, meaning that if any team attempted to sign him the Vikings could match the offer or receive compensation if he was to leave, there is the very real possibility that several teams would be interested in a young receiver with a good attitude like Burleson has displayed.

The team's concern that someone else may frontload a contract that could be damaging to the team's current salary cap comfort is legitimate. Teams have done that in the past to force the hand of a team, and it wouldn't be surprising if teams like the Packers or Bears would try something like that to cripple a division rival -- we hope at least that the Lions are finally satisfied with their wide receivers after taking three in the first round of the last three drafts.

VU has been told that there is a long way to go to get a deal struck, but that both sides are confident that the deal will get made and the Burleson will remain with the Vikings -- now and in the future.

My opinion, if another team is willing to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick for him, let him go! We have a lot of young depth at WR and could use an extra 1st round pick to pick up a quality player in another area of the team. I know he's a good guy and a good player, but...

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: Talks begin with Burleson??

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    http//sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_457790_63&prov=citadel&type=story

[size=18px]Talks Begin With Burleson [/size]

Viking Update Staff - Scout.com
    October 26, 2005 at 1021am ET

The Vikings return to practice today with their sights set on Carolina. But behind the scenes, the team is looking at one player far beyond this week.

It's rare when the Vikings or any NFL team for that matter discuss player contracts during the season. The excuse typically given is that it causes a distraction.

Well, considering the distractions that have surrounded the Vikings this season, what would make contract talks be any different? VU has been told that the Vikings have begun negotiations with wide receiver Nate Burleson on a new contract that would keep him with the Vikings for several years.

The talks are preliminary at this point, but the word is that both sides are expecting to try to work out a four- or five-year deal that would include a substantial signing bonus in the $5-8 million range.

When Randy Moss was traded, Burleson became the No. 1 wide receiver on the Vikings depth chart, but when he signed his original rookie contract, there wasn't nearly the confidence that the team has in him now. His rookie deal was a three-year contract that is set to expire at the end of the season.

While Burleson would be a restricted free agent following the season, meaning that if any team attempted to sign him the Vikings could match the offer or receive compensation if he was to leave, there is the very real possibility that several teams would be interested in a young receiver with a good attitude like Burleson has displayed.

The team's concern that someone else may frontload a contract that could be damaging to the team's current salary cap comfort is legitimate. Teams have done that in the past to force the hand of a team, and it wouldn't be surprising if teams like the Packers or Bears would try something like that to cripple a division rival -- we hope at least that the Lions are finally satisfied with their wide receivers after taking three in the first round of the last three drafts.

VU has been told that there is a long way to go to get a deal struck, but that both sides are confident that the deal will get made and the Burleson will remain with the Vikings -- now and in the future.

My opinion, if another team is willing to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick for him, let him go! We have a lot of young depth at WR and could use an extra 1st round pick to pick up a quality player in another area of the team. I know he's a good guy and a good player, but...
    yeah right keep the man! he is a good wide reciver!

Big C is offline Coordinator

Look at what a #1 pick (7th overall) has done for us so far this season. This is not a knock on Troy, it's just a reality check that just because you're first round doesn't mean you get a sure-fire #1 WR in the 1st season. Troy will come about next season or so. I mean all the first round WRs have been pretty quiet (Troy, Edwards, Williams, Roddy White, Clayton).

Burleson is already a polished reciever. You can't see him in action till offense gets going. He's not a problem child, and he has what it takes. I say keep him.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I wish we could define some roles around the team, especially at WR b4 talking big money.

I think we need to let DC and the WRs work together for the rest of the season b4 doing the contract. I want 81 on our team but I want to wait until later in the season to finalize it. Him and his ageant aren't going to want to wait, sooner the better for them, b4 any of the other WRs can make a name and command an interest from the Vikings

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Personally, I think we sign him. The sooner the better, because the bigger the stats the bigger the paycheck he's gonna want!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I say sign him, if he doesn't get too crazy on the dollars. He's a solid receiver that I would like to see stay with the vikings. I wouldn't get too crazy with the checkbook though, as I don't think other teams would.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    I say sign him, if he doesn't get too crazy on the dollars. He's a solid receiver that I would like to see stay with the vikings. I wouldn't get too crazy with the checkbook though, as I don't think other teams would.
    That is kinda what I was saying, only that right now, he holds the cards and can say hey I am your best WR right now. No one has had a chance to prove themselves. We are going totally on last year at this point.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    Your not a true fan! :lol: JK

(god, thats never going to get old)

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    That is kinda what I was saying, only that right now, he holds the cards and can say hey I am your best WR right now. No one has had a chance to prove themselves. We are going totally on last year at this point.
    I hear ya, thats kind of why I think we sign him now. We know he is a solid receiver, if he throws up great numbers the rest of the year, he may be hard to resign at the same price we can get now. On the other hand, if he puts up terrible stats he could lower his market value, but I think he holds the same value to the Vikings org.

If Nate wants to roll the dice, and see how he finishes the year, fine, I'm okay with waiting. If he is ready to sign a sensible deal now, sign him up. I don't think Nate has that much leverage at this point (he had more before the year started).

Bottom line is I won't be super disappointed if he leaves, but I would like to see him stay.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    I hear ya, thats kind of why I think we sign him now. We know he is a solid receiver, if he throws up great numbers the rest of the year, he may be hard to resign at the same price we can get now. On the other hand, if he puts up terrible stats he could lower his market value, but I think he holds the same value to the Vikings org.

If Nate wants to roll the dice, and see how he finishes the year, fine, I'm okay with waiting. If he is ready to sign a sensible deal now, sign him up. I don't think Nate has that much leverage at this point (he had more before the year started).

Bottom line is I won't be super disappointed if he leaves, but I would like to see him stay.
    I think he is solid, but the problem with paying him is we don't know if he is a no. 1 WR or a no. 2 WR. I was hoping that would have sorted out by this time of the season, but we haven't played well on O at all.

Hook'm Tasty!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast