marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Takeaways top Childress' wish list

Takeaways top Childress' wish list

Posted by Mark Craig
    Last update: August 11, 2010 - 12:33 PM

“Turnovers defensively is one thing I’d like to see us improve on. You say, `Well, you led the league in sacks. That’s taking away opportunities to throw the ball down the field.’ But I’d like to have more takeaways. I’d like to see the safeties more involved in taking the ball away."
    Childress also offered up a second area he has his eye on: "Lost yardage on first down" on offense.

"We're very good on second down," he said. "But first-and-10, we're one of the worst team in the league. So we need to improve on that."
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/100450469.html

Re:Takeaways top Childress' wish list

I like those answers.

I don't know if the turnover thing will play out in the regular season. There is quite a bit of luck involved. My guess is that the interceptions will go up if for no other reason than they can't go down much further. But if the team (and in particular the safeties) focuses on that area and improves dramatically it will obviously make a big difference.

With losing yardage on first-down - get your guys to block coach! The offensive line really needs to improve in the run game from last year. I'm hoping for and expecting that to happen.

Childress always seems to have his eye on the statistics and tendencies though. I suppose you have to as a head coach in the NFL these days.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re:Takeaways top Childress' wish list

Overlord wrote:
    I like those answers.

I don't know if the turnover thing will play out in the regular season. There is quite a bit of luck involved. My guess is that the interceptions will go up if for no other reason than they can't go down much further. But if the team (and in particular the safeties) focuses on that area and improves dramatically it will obviously make a big difference.

With losing yardage on first-down - get your guys to block coach! The offensive line really needs to improve in the run game from last year. I'm hoping for and expecting that to happen.

Childress always seems to have his eye on the statistics and tendencies though. I suppose you have to as a head coach in the NFL these days.
    I too like his answer on takeaways... those can be game changers even more so than sacks and we do need more of them.

As for the second part, I'm not sure I agree with you... I firmly believe at least half the problem is between AD's ears... he has got to drop the "homerun" and "I will win this game on my own on this play" mentality. When the corners not there, when the big play isn't available, square your shoulders, hit a hole, pick up 2 or 3 yards... he loves to dance and keep stringing it further and further out until he's finally brought down or forced out for a 3 or 4 yard loss. He needs to understand that gaining 2 yards on first down isn't a failure, that he doesn't need big plays every carry (ESPECIALLY on 1st down), and that losing yards on 1st down kills the team. When AD can suck up his ego and learn to play for 2nd down, we'll greatly improve our team performance in this area.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.