purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

The "Take off the Purple Glasses Challenge"!

OK, news has been pretty slow around here, camps are still a month away, we need to start talking some real football around here.

So here's my challenge. Pretend you write for one of those preseason football magazines (Street and Smith, Athlon's etc.). Write a preseason review of a team in the NFC North who is NOT THE VIKINGS. Do a little real research on the team, surf other team's fan sites, ask questions, etc. Discuss all units of the team (QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB, K, P, coaching) OBJECTIVELY...in fact, try to write your review with as POSITIVE a spin as possible. It's OK to be somewhat "realistic" (i.e. you don't have to spin it so the Lions will win the division this year), but you don't want to write crap like "The Vikings will tear this team up", "This team absolutely has no chance", etc. Remember, before the start of a new season, hope springs eternal. Almost every team has the right to expect that they will improve on last season.

In doing this exercise, we will learn more about our opponents (especially when it comes to the less glamourous positions), possibly gain some more respect for them, be able to debate fans of other teams with a more enlightened perspective, and understand the enemy and our team even better.

Fans from teams other than the Vikings are welcome to participate too. In fact, I wouldn't even mind seeing some Pack fans like LA post a preview of the Packers (as long as they are realistic in not trashing the other teams in the division).

Once you've written some "good" reviews of other teams in the division, feel free to write one for the Vikings as well. But with the majority of people here being Vikings fans, I think we are all pretty optimistic already about our chances this season.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

holy poop... I like this idea but I feel like I'm back in school... are you going to grade us on these?

oh and just a thought to add to this... I don't really want to read a hundred reports on the lions packers and bears... how about we extend it to our 2004/2005 opponents?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Not gonna happen here, sorry purple pat, that is way too much work!! I love the idea and I can't wait to read what people have to say, but I just don't have the time (even though I really do) and energy (because I'm lazy)! Can't wait to read other people's stuff though!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Holy fright, dude! It's a great idea, agreed, but I wish I had a moment to do that! I'm still trying to put together a feature column for Webby and can't find the time.

Instead of an article, I'll summarize:

Packers; Experience and mission to win, 10-6
    Vikings: Ton of talent, still gellin', 10-6
    Lions: Suprise Team, youthful exhuberance 7-9
    Bears: Can't get it together despite talent 5-11
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

HarrisonB57 is offline Starter

I was bored out of my mind so here’s the Pack. irate:

QB:
    Brett is still fairly good (no matter how hard it is to admit it). His leadership and
    toughness keep him playing at his level. Tim Couch I think will resurrect he career after
    Brett leaves. Craig Nall is a solid backup and Doug Pederson is aging.

RB:
    Ahman Green is now the best player on their offense. He can carry the load. Tony Fisher
    is good and Najeh Davenport is a bruiser. These three guys all averaged at least 5 yards
    per carry last year. William Henderson at fullback is a hard worker and does the dirty
    work.

WR:
    This is a pretty weak group of receivers, but are young and have room for improvement.
    Donald Driver is good at No. 1. Javon Walker is fast and big and needs to blossom this
    year. Robert Ferguson is on about the same level as Walker. At TE Bubba Franks is an
    above-average player who went to the Pro Bowl last year. These receivers could be an
    elite group by the time Tim Couch steps in.

OL:
    The Pack seem set on the O-Line. It’s impressive if I know offensive linemen outside the
    Vikes and I’ve heard of some of these guys. Mark Tausher and Chad Clifton are their
    tackles. Marco Rivera (Pro Bowl) and Mike Wahle are the guards. When I was watching
    a Vikes-Pack game a few years ago, I remember their center, Mike Flanagan (Pro Bowl),
    was playing tackle because they had so many injuries. That shows how versatile he is.
    They probably won’t be as lucky as they were last year when they went injury-free.

DL:
    KGB is a crazy pass-rusher and went to the Pro Bowl last year. Grady Jackson played
    well last season. Cletidus Hunt is good. Aaron Kampman will be the other DE.

LB:
    Nick Barnett was a big surprise last year with 134 tackles. As a linebacker in high
    school, I like to watch the defense and thought Barnett played well when they played the
    Vikes. Na’il Diggs and Hannibal Navies both performed well last season and had about
    85 tackles each.

DB:
    Darren Sharper continues to perform at a high level. Mark Roman and Marques
    Anderson are to battle it out for the free safety spot. Roman had 73 tackles for the
    Bengals last year and Anderson had 74 with Green Bay. Mike McKenzie wants a trade
    but is still their top corner with Al Harris and 1st-round pick Ahmad Carroll behind him.

Brett Farve & Friends will have another winning season. They won’t beat the Vikes in the division, but will be number 2. And they will continue to fall as Farve ages.
    Live by the Slacker Rule. No Hurries, No Worries.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I liked both los' analysis of the division and harrison's analysis of the pack!! It will be interesting to see exactly when and if Couch steps in for Favre. I personally don't think he'll stick around as long as Favre keeps playing. I say Favre plays another three years (including this upcoming season) and Couch isn't going to want to sit around and wait!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!