Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailgating?!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Tailgating?!

Ok, so I went to the game on Friday. Lets just say I was very dissapointed. I am from Wisconsin so I like to do all the tailgating stuff before a game. Not to mention I like to drink a six pack or two for $6.99 before I have to go into the stadium and pay $7 for one beer. I once saw people tailgating in the parking lot to the right of the plaza.
    I went to park there for the game and the guy had a sign saying no tailgating.
    What is going on here? This has to be the only NFL stadium that does not allow tailgating. Does anyone tailgate here? Please let me know you comments or suggestions on how we can bring tailgating back.
    Do we maybe have to talk to the city or the team?

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Tailgating?!

"marstc09" wrote:
    Ok, so I went to the game on Friday. Lets just say I was very dissapointed. I am from Wisconsin so I like to do all the tailgating stuff before a game. Not to mention I like to drink a six pack or two for $6.99 before I have to go into the stadium and pay $7 for one beer. I once saw people tailgating in the parking lot to the right of the plaza.
    What is going on here? This has to be the only NFL stadium that does not allow tailgating. Does anyone tailgate here? Please let me know you comments or suggestions on how we can bring tailgating back.
    No tailgating that is sacreligious.
    That is half the fun of going to the game.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"marstc09" wrote:
    Well, it isn't the only stadium, but one of the few.
    The Vikings have always had tailgating at their games, dating back to the old Met games.
    When the dome opened, most of the tailgating was along the Washington Ave lots, but those have been eaten up by development.
    For the past few years the official tailgating lot was at Rapid Park (across from the Target Center) and then light rail and buses would bring you to the other side of downtown for the game.
    It wasn't ideal, but Rapid Park was HUGE, and there was a decent amount of people tailgating there.

Unfortunately, Rapid Park is the site of the new Twins stadium now, and the Viking Fans are left floundering a little bit.
    The official website doesn't say anything, and it almost seems like they are trying to filter us into the plaza where the beer costs as much as it does in the dome.
    A lot of us are unhappy with it right now.

Granted, it was just a preseason game, and a night one at that.
    There is a decent amount of private tailgating that goes on around the dome in the smaller lots before regular season games.
    PurpleArmy is always out in force, and there is some tailgating in whatever lots remain on Washington Ave.
    Hopefully your next game will be a little better for you.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I'm sorry to hear about your not being able to tailgate, this is the first time I've heard of this. They better get some lots opened up around the dome for tailgating or they are going to have a ton of pissed off fans (if they aren't already).

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

Well, it isn't the only stadium, but one of the few.
    The Vikings have always had tailgating at their games, dating back to the old Met games.
    When the dome opened, most of the tailgating was along the Washington Ave lots, but those have been eaten up by development.
    For the past few years the official tailgating lot was at Rapid Park (across from the Target Center) and then light rail and buses would bring you to the other side of downtown for the game.
    It wasn't ideal, but Rapid Park was HUGE, and there was a decent amount of people tailgating there.

Unfortunately, Rapid Park is the site of the new Twins stadium now, and the Viking Fans are left floundering a little bit.

The official website doesn't say anything, and it almost seems like they are trying to filter us into the plaza where the beer costs as much as it does in the dome.
    A lot of us are unhappy with it right now.

Granted, it was just a preseason game, and a night one at that.
    There is a decent amount of private tailgating that goes on around the dome in the smaller lots before regular season games.
    PurpleArmy is always out in force, and there is some tailgating in whatever lots remain on Washington Ave.
    Hopefully your next game will be a little better for you.
    It's a conspiracy I tell you!

They've been slowly taking away the tailgate lots & we are left with mere nothingness!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I blame Hillbilly McCombs......might as well blame somebody.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

The HHH has been and continues to be one of the worse stadiums in the USA.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    The HHH has been and continues to be one of the worse stadiums in the USA.
    That is another reason I don't want a new stadium on the grounds where the HHH is.

The tailgating will end up being gone.

I'm just curious if the lot that marstc09 saw the "NO TAILGATING" sign at, was one of the lots that Wilf bought.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Actually, blame the city of Minneapolis, or Hennepin County.

It is actually illegal to tailgate (at least for the purposes of consuming alcohol and possibly use a grill) in the city except for certain areas where the city specifically permits it.
    That is one reason that the Rapid Park site was chosen by the Viking a few years back as the "official" tailgating site...because they got the city to allow tailgating there.

I suspect the parking lot owner was just covering his butt (especially from a liability standpoint) by reminding people who parked in his lot that technically tailgating in his lot was illegal.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"purplepat" wrote:
    Actually, blame the city of Minneapolis, or Hennepin County.

It is actually illegal to tailgate (at least for the purposes of consuming alcohol and possibly use a grill) in the city except for certain areas where the city specifically permits it.
    That is one reason that the Rapid Park site was chosen by the Viking a few years back as the "official" tailgating site...because they got the city to allow tailgating there.

I suspect the parking lot owner was just covering his butt (especially from a liability standpoint) by reminding people who parked in his lot that technically tailgating in his lot was illegal.
    The average guy I don't think cares about technicalities, find a place to park and start pounding beers. ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast