Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Tahi is horrible!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bump for marrdro
    LOL, 34 pages my friend. We are getting there, slow but sure.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

never gonna happen.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    never gonna happen.
    LOL, given time, it will.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

nope. We're already doing this:

Not going to last another 60+ pages

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    nope. We're already doing this:

Not going to last another 60+ pages
    Red X but judging by the file name, its a Monkey beating a Deadhourse.

Isn't that what makes PPO great? When times are slow we can beat any horse long past his time.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    3. With respect to TAHI, if you are going to be a blocking FB you need to be a "Hitter" on every play and execute make blocks, wear down the defense. I keep looking for Tahi's "mean streak" and I don't see it. You have to generate value. He is not a viable run decoy or passing decoy. His only redeeming value is as a "surprise" pass catcher out of the backfield which can only be used sparingly for it to be effective.
    Therein lies the rub. Most on here, even though they won't admit it anymore, want Tahi to be a offensive weapon. Problem is, they just don't use him that way so how is he ever to become a "Valued" player as you mention.......?

The FB position will not go away, but, it would be nice to have a FB that brings more to the game than Tahi.
    Name me a team were the FB is used as a weapon and Weaver doesn't count as that cat stepped in and played RB......
    No rub, I would include a "top end" blocker as a weapon as well.

As for the FB as a weapon, you have the "blocking studs":

Polite MIA
    Mughelli ATL
    Anderson DAL
    Johnson CIN
    Hoover CAR
    McClain BAL

The Guys who Contribute on offense are more limited.

Weaver
    Tolbert
    McClain

Like every starter on the roster, I want them to have the potential to be a standout at his position. Just don't see him being one of those guys.
    I can tell you Polite is a pretty elite FB. He is a great blocker and look at his statistics on 3rd or 4th and short yardage. He is ridiculously awesome! That is the type of FB that any club would want on their team and is considered effective. Tahi is not very effective at all.
    So your definition of effective can be traced to both blocking as well as offensive production then?
    My definition all depends on the role. As a FB you should be able to block for your RB and QB. Tahi doesn't do that great of a job. Some FBs also are able to be effective catching out of the backfield such as a Richardson, Neal, Weaver. Some FBs are even able to take a handoff and get first downs when needed. So when I look at a FB such as Polite, he does all 3 pretty damn well. That is why I claim he is one of the elite FBs in my opinion.

In Tahi's case he will make a decent blcok every now and then but he is very inconsistent at best. He is able to catch out of the backfield but unfortunately he rarely or barely gets out of the backfield when he does catch the ball. I don't remember him getting many handoffs so that is another area he hasn't been very effective.

So if your question is leaning toward Tahi (since it is a thread on him) I would say he is a pretty ineffective FB imo.

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    3. With respect to TAHI, if you are going to be a blocking FB you need to be a "Hitter" on every play and execute make blocks, wear down the defense. I keep looking for Tahi's "mean streak" and I don't see it. You have to generate value. He is not a viable run decoy or passing decoy. His only redeeming value is as a "surprise" pass catcher out of the backfield which can only be used sparingly for it to be effective.
    Therein lies the rub. Most on here, even though they won't admit it anymore, want Tahi to be a offensive weapon. Problem is, they just don't use him that way so how is he ever to become a "Valued" player as you mention.......?

The FB position will not go away, but, it would be nice to have a FB that brings more to the game than Tahi.
    Name me a team were the FB is used as a weapon and Weaver doesn't count as that cat stepped in and played RB......

Polite MIA
    Mughelli ATL
    Anderson DAL
    Johnson CIN
    Hoover CAR
    McClain BAL

Weaver
    Tolbert
    McClain

Like every starter on the roster, I want them to have the potential to be a standout at his position. Just don't see him being one of those guys.
    I can tell you Polite is a pretty elite FB. He is a great blocker and look at his statistics on 3rd or 4th and short yardage. He is ridiculously awesome! That is the type of FB that any club would want on their team and is considered effective. Tahi is not very effective at all.
    So your definition of effective can be traced to both blocking as well as offensive production then?
    My definition all depends on the role. As a FB you should be able to block for your RB and QB. Tahi doesn't do that great of a job. Some FBs also are able to be effective catching out of the backfield such as a Richardson, Neal, Weaver. Some FBs are even able to take a handoff and get first downs when needed. So when I look at a FB such as Polite, he does all 3 pretty damn well. That is why I claim he is one of the elite FBs in my opinion.

In Tahi's case he will make a decent blcok every now and then but he is very inconsistent at best. He is able to catch out of the backfield but unfortunately he rarely or barely gets out of the backfield when he does catch the ball. I don't remember him getting many handoffs so that is another area he hasn't been very effective.

So if your question is leaning toward Tahi (since it is a thread on him) I would say he is a pretty ineffective FB imo.
    Well, that is a good anwer, but not really what I was fishing for.

Lets try again, do you want our FB (whomever it is) to be a offensive weapon or just a blocker?

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

Polite MIA
    Mughelli ATL
    Anderson DAL
    Johnson CIN
    Hoover CAR
    McClain BAL

Weaver
    Tolbert
    McClain

Lets try again, do you want our FB (whomever it is) to be a offensive weapon or just a blocker?
    IMO, he just needs to bring one dimension of quality to stay on the team. Otherwise, a FB by committee can be just as effective.

1. Blocking (bring the wood and help Toby and AP beat down the defense), pick-up blitzes. Lack of impact/physicality to wear down defenses is biggest sin in a FB with Tahi's skill set.

2. Be an effective Offensive Weapon the defense has to account for. The less they worry about Tahi, the more they can focus on AP.

3. Be a short yardage machine, take some wear and tear off of AP.

Number 1 is by far the most important in my book and Tahi really doesn't fit any of those categories for me. Our FB by committee of HB/TEs is the way to go until we find a real FB candidate.

The way we use Tahi I would rather have a TE/HB blocking in support of our "ZBS" scheme. Most of Tahi's blocks are containing the backside run pursuit or an edge rusher, something a quicker guy with a bigger frame should be able to do just as well. Also, a TE/HB would merge his skills better with the ZBS by being able to "move" the defender vertically/horizontally which is something Tahi just does not do, when he goes into a hole and takes on a defender, he usually stays still and stagnates the motion in that area and behind it. I rarely remember seeing Tahi "knock the snot" out of someone in a game or drive a defender back after he engaged him or even turn the defender for that matter.

Just don't see anything from Tahi that makes me go "I am glad we have him on this team".
    None

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

It's Tahi's locker room contributions that make him such a valuable member of the Vikings.

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:

Polite MIA
    Mughelli ATL
    Anderson DAL
    Johnson CIN
    Hoover CAR
    McClain BAL

Weaver
    Tolbert
    McClain

IMO, he just needs to bring one dimension of quality to stay on the team. Otherwise, a FB by committee can be just as effective.

1. Blocking (bring the wood and help Toby and AP beat down the defense), pick-up blitzes. Lack of impact/physicality to wear down defenses is biggest sin in a FB with Tahi's skill set.

2. Be an effective Offensive Weapon the defense has to account for. The less they worry about Tahi, the more they can focus on AP.

3. Be a short yardage machine, take some wear and tear off of AP.

Number 1 is by far the most important in my book and Tahi really doesn't fit any of those categories for me. Our FB by committee of HB/TEs is the way to go until we find a real FB candidate.

The way we use Tahi I would rather have a TE/HB blocking in support of our "ZBS" scheme. Most of Tahi's blocks are containing the backside run pursuit or an edge rusher, something a quicker guy with a bigger frame should be able to do just as well. Also, a TE/HB would merge his skills better with the ZBS by being able to "move" the defender vertically/horizontally which is something Tahi just does not do, when he goes into a hole and takes on a defender, he usually stays still and stagnates the motion in that area and behind it. I rarely remember seeing Tahi "knock the snot" out of someone in a game or drive a defender back after he engaged him or even turn the defender for that matter.

Just don't see anything from Tahi that makes me go "I am glad we have him on this team".
    Good stuff my friend, especially your observation on his role as a backside blocker.

For me, it still all gets back to the staffs willingness to use H-backs instead of FB's in this scheme.

By the way, there aren't any FB's in this league right now that "Knock the snot" out of anyone. Kindof a lost art if you ask me.

Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast