Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: T-Jack or Not T-Jack?

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I know ESPN and Fox Sports both had articles like that but I can't remember specifics.
    From Wikipedia:
    The Vikings scouting and personnel had reportedly been watching him closely in secret over his senior season, particularly liking his performance in the East-West Shrine Game. They were also impressed by his workout at the scouting combine (among the top-5 quarterbacks in ball speed and 40 yard dash). Several NFL teams including the Vikings had arranged secret workouts with him too.
    From Alabama State Web Site:
    Alabama State head coach Charles Coe said he expected it, even hinting to Jackson Friday night that he might not have to wait long to hear his name called.
    "I've talked to enough general managers and player-personnel directors to know they wanted him. At first they were saying the fourth round or maybe the third round," Coe said. "But when they started working him out individually, his stock rose."
    From NFL Players.com:
    Although most of the rookie quarterback talk has focused on Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler, one of the more unheralded quarterbacks coming up to the surface after being called by several NFL analysts as the sleeper pick of the 2006 NFL Draft is Tarvaris Jackson.
    From Scout:
    the Vikings claimed Jackson was their man and proved it by trading out of the third round because they feared another team would snatch Jackson first.
    From Real-Football:
    The soon-to-be second-year man is also much more accurate with his passes than Vick.
    From Black Athlete:
    "We kept having teams call and say, 'We want to come in and work out Tarvaris, but we don't want anyone to know about it,' " Barlow said. "I would tell them, 'We've already had five or six teams in here. Tarvaris isn't a secret. Every team knows about him.' "
    From ESPN:
    "I was in Eli Manning's first minicamp in New York, and I would say Tarvaris is 10 times beyond where Eli was," Hoag said after Sunday's workouts. "And that's being completely honest. I did have the experience of working with him during the [NFL] combine time in Florida. We both worked out with Tom Shaw, and I came back when I re-signed [with the Vikings] and told the coaches I thought [Jackson] was better than [first-round pick] Jay Cutler."
    Just a few quotes praising him I found in a quick Google search.
    Put that in your juice box and suck it!
    So these are the same exact people who are now questioning t-jack? Where are the links with these same people now questioning him?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I've heard lots of good and lots of bad. I really don't think ANYONE knows.

Honestly, there is no way to evaluate him.

He never played against NFL level competition in college and didn't really set the world on fire against the competition he did play against, BUT he has also never looked totally lost and imcompetent in an NFL game. He's also great physically and has a great arm...so what does all of that translate to? I have no idea.

All I can do is say, "Go T-Jack!"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

There will be a cadre of TJack crotch sniffers within a couple years.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Prophet" wrote:
    There will be a cadre of TJack crotch sniffers within a couple years.
    Sounds like somebody sure thinks TJack will succeed.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ltrey" wrote:

He never played against NFL level competition in college and didn't really set the world on fire against the competition he did play against, BUT he has also never looked totally lost and imcompetent in an NFL game. He's also great physically and has a great arm...so what does all of that translate to? I have no idea.

The only thing I really heard bad about him was that he came out of a division school I-AA school.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:

The only thing I really heard bad about him was that he came out of a division school I-AA school.
    I don't remember much that was bad either. The one thing that did come up was that he was very raw and undeveloped and would take some time to develop,which would certainly explain why he may have been projected to go later in spite of his potential. If he develops faster than that and we get a solid QB this year than he certainly will have been worth moving up for. If he isn't mentally ready for the job and we throw him to the lions (Bears,Pats,Ravens...) we just might ruin him and any potential he has.
    I sure hope he is ready because we need him in order to have a successful season and I don't want to go through another turnover in coaches next year and start the process over.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:

I don't remember much that was bad either. The one thing that did come up was that he was very raw and undeveloped and would take some time to develop,which would certainly explain why he may have been projected to go later in spite of his potential. If he develops faster than that and we get a solid QB this year than he certainly will have been worth moving up for. If he isn't mentally ready for the job and we throw him to the lions (Bears,Pats,Ravens...) we just might ruin him and any potential he has.
    I sure hope he is ready because we need him in order to have a successful season and I don't want to go through another turnover in coaches next year and start the process over.
    The only bad I really heard was some people thought we reached to take him.
    That was originally based on his prediction to be a second day pick.
    But as more and more reports came in saying that other teams were looking at picking him early, most of the criticism for picking him in the second evaporated.
    Most people realized that he has tremendous upside (except for a couple of posters here at PP.O who shall not be named...).

Hopefully some of that upside can be realized this season...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I don't remember much that was bad either. The one thing that did come up was that he was very raw and undeveloped and would take some time to develop
    UffDa has hit the nail on the head.
    I don't think anyone anticipated Jackson starting before 08, possibly 09.
    Everyone acknowledged that he was raw and needed to be developed, but that once developed could become a quality NFL QB.

So rather than sitting, studying, watching and practicing for a few years (which is what Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, etc. did), Jackson will be thrown into the fire and have to develop in games that count.
    The "experts" aren't saying that Jackson won't develop given time, just that no one expects him to play like a polished QB this season.
    In Brett Favre's first two seasons starting for the Packers, he threw for 37 TDs and 37 INTs and averaged about 211 passing yards per game.
    In his third season, he threw for 33 TDs, 14 INTs and 243 yards per game.
    If TJack averages 1 TD, 1 INT, and 200 passing yards per game this season, we should consider it a pretty decent campaign for a young, inexperienced QB that should continue to improve.

For what it is worth, I haven't heard any of the "experts" say that they expect JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn to come in day one and light up the NFL.
    In truth, while serving as the 3rd string QB for most of last season, Jackson doesn't have much more NFL experience than either of these two 1st round QBs.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Tarvaris has all the tools, and if his work ethic is as good as it is being reported, then He has an excellent chance of turning into a star QB.
    The key word id "turning".
    Personally I don't have high expectations for Tarvaris, especially with what he has to work with at WR (where a veteran WR would really help).
    Culpepper was able to perform because the offense was loaded with talent from the RBs to the O-line to the Hall of Fame WRs.

Tarvaris will be a good QB, but I don't expect him to light it up in his first season.
    As long as he is better than what we had last year (which shouldn't be hard), I will be happy.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:

So did Doug Williams (Super Bowl MVP)...if we end up with that, I wouldn't complain one bit!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast