Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

T-Jack or Not T-Jack?

http://vikings.scout.com/2/658789.html
    When the Vikings drafted Tarvaris Jackson, many draft experts applauded the move, citing T-Jack's impressive upside. But, one year later, many of those same critics are saying the Vikings are doomed because he doesn't have any pro experience. Confused? So are we, to be honest.

Interesting article!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Re: T-Jack or Not T-Jack?

how confuzzling...wierd...i have no words to explain ???

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't remember near as many draft experts applauding the move as there were ones questioning why they moved up in the second to get a player projected to go in the 6th or so.

The story would be more credible to me if he listed the specific critics that have changed their tunes. My guess is that the majority of the ones who question him now are the same ones who questioned the club for moving up to get him.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Green tried to woo Dan Marino out of retirement. If not for having a special-needs child, Marino might have taken Green up on his offer and come up to Minnesota for a season and played with the Vikings. He didn’t and Culpepper
    If he had been convinced would we have lost 41-0?

Json is offline GM

The story would be more credible to me if he listed the specific critics that have changed their tunes. My guess is that the majority of the ones who question him now are the same ones who questioned the club for moving up to get him.
    I have heard multiple "so called experts" applaud the move when the Vikings drafted him that early.
    It was a suprise to everyone but once they started speaking about T. Jack they made it clear they understood why the Vikings jumped up to get him due to his tremdous upside.
    I loved the article because I've wondering why so many "so called experts" now consider the Vikings finishing 4-12 etc.

I also remember that when they first drafted him it was a "huh" kind of reaction from the ESPN people. But then I remember about a week or so later many articles mentioning that several teams had looked at TJ and planned to draft him. These so called "experts" applauded the fact that the Vikings moved up to get him saying he was coming on very strong as the draft got closer.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Which ones were they?

I know ESPN and Fox Sports both had articles like that but I can't remember specifics.
    From Wikipedia:
    The Vikings scouting and personnel had reportedly been watching him closely in secret over his senior season, particularly liking his performance in the East-West Shrine Game. They were also impressed by his workout at the scouting combine (among the top-5 quarterbacks in ball speed and 40 yard dash). Several NFL teams including the Vikings had arranged secret workouts with him too.
    From Alabama State Web Site:
    Alabama State head coach Charles Coe said he expected it, even hinting to Jackson Friday night that he might not have to wait long to hear his name called.
    "I've talked to enough general managers and player-personnel directors to know they wanted him. At first they were saying the fourth round or maybe the third round," Coe said. "But when they started working him out individually, his stock rose."
    From NFL Players.com:
    Although most of the rookie quarterback talk has focused on Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler, one of the more unheralded quarterbacks coming up to the surface after being called by several NFL analysts as the sleeper pick of the 2006 NFL Draft is Tarvaris Jackson.
    From Scout:
    the Vikings claimed Jackson was their man and proved it by trading out of the third round because they feared another team would snatch Jackson first.
    From Real-Football:
    The soon-to-be second-year man is also much more accurate with his passes than Vick.
    From Black Athlete:
    "We kept having teams call and say, 'We want to come in and work out Tarvaris, but we don't want anyone to know about it,' " Barlow said. "I would tell them, 'We've already had five or six teams in here. Tarvaris isn't a secret. Every team knows about him.' "
    From ESPN:
    "I was in Eli Manning's first minicamp in New York, and I would say Tarvaris is 10 times beyond where Eli was," Hoag said after Sunday's workouts. "And that's being completely honest. I did have the experience of working with him during the [NFL] combine time in Florida. We both worked out with Tom Shaw, and I came back when I re-signed [with the Vikings] and told the coaches I thought [Jackson] was better than [first-round pick] Jay Cutler."
    Just a few quotes praising him I found in a quick Google search.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I know ESPN and Fox Sports both had articles like that but I can't remember specifics.
    From Wikipedia:
    The Vikings scouting and personnel had reportedly been watching him closely in secret over his senior season, particularly liking his performance in the East-West Shrine Game. They were also impressed by his workout at the scouting combine (among the top-5 quarterbacks in ball speed and 40 yard dash). Several NFL teams including the Vikings had arranged secret workouts with him too.
    Alabama State head coach Charles Coe said he expected it, even hinting to Jackson Friday night that he might not have to wait long to hear his name called.
    "I've talked to enough general managers and player-personnel directors to know they wanted him. At first they were saying the fourth round or maybe the third round," Coe said. "But when they started working him out individually, his stock rose."
    From NFL Players.com:
    Although most of the rookie quarterback talk has focused on Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler, one of the more unheralded quarterbacks coming up to the surface after being called by several NFL analysts as the sleeper pick of the 2006 NFL Draft is Tarvaris Jackson.
    From Scout:
    the Vikings claimed Jackson was their man and proved it by trading out of the third round because they feared another team would snatch Jackson first.
    From Real-Football:
    The soon-to-be second-year man is also much more accurate with his passes than Vick.
    From Black Athlete:
    "We kept having teams call and say, 'We want to come in and work out Tarvaris, but we don't want anyone to know about it,' " Barlow said. "I would tell them, 'We've already had five or six teams in here. Tarvaris isn't a secret. Every team knows about him.' "
    From ESPN:
    "I was in Eli Manning's first minicamp in New York, and I would say Tarvaris is 10 times beyond where Eli was," Hoag said after Sunday's workouts. "And that's being completely honest. I did have the experience of working with him during the [NFL] combine time in Florida. We both worked out with Tom Shaw, and I came back when I re-signed [with the Vikings] and told the coaches I thought [Jackson] was better than [first-round pick] Jay Cutler."

Thanks Cojo,

This post just put a really nice smile on my face.
    What a nice way to end the day and get some shut eye.

In TJ I Trust

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    From Wikipedia:
    From NFL Players.com:
    From Scout:
    From Real-Football:
    From Black Athlete:
    From ESPN:
    Put that in your juice box and suck it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast