Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    You will give up passing yards as a cover 2 defense. That is expected. It is a bend but don't break defense. Which is why if you look at the stats we were a very good red zone defense despite the total passing yards teams averaged against us.
    Yeah I can remember the Monday night game when the Pats kick us with out running the ball once just dink and dunk all night or the Steelers coming into the dome and trailing in the 4th quarter and 3-4 straight places to the tightend (Health Miller) and winning. It does bend, there are zonebeater routes, most teams know them and the good teams execute them.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I hate the cover two defense. It depends on pressure from the front 4 and is vulnerable if we have to blitz. We don't always get pressure from the front four.
    It also depends on a middle linebacker that has great range and speed to cover the middle of the field. We don't have that.
    It also depends on safeties that can tackle. We don't have that.

I'm ok with a scheme change but not with Singeltary coaching it.

After reading this article, Pelissero: Dysfunction on defense has Vikings ripe for major changes | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers), I think it's time to get a GM and send the coaching staff and a number of players packing.
    Wipe the slate clean, including Frazier.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If this article is true then I have made my decision that Frazier and the entire FO need to go.

If any player actually refused to do what they were told and changed a formation prior to the snap and that player was not immediately yanked and cut the next day then the head coach will never be able to control the team.

If the defensive leaders like Greenway, Allen, Winfield actually allowed this to happen without putting the players in their place then they are also responsible and should be dealt with.

This whole article seems to be way too implausible to have actually happened so I hope it turns out to be wrong. If it is true then we are witnessing the beginning of a very dark era in team history.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    If we switch to a 3-4, we're done... and I'm done with Leslie Frazier. I don't blame the DBs for ignoring the coaches calls. They clearly don't know what they're doing.
    Because it's working out so well for them to ignore the coaches. Our DBs our clueless.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Blog Entries
    There would be no better time to make the switch than when our team has hit rock bottom and when we have a large number of FA's and guys that need to be replaced.

When I look at the roster on defense there is only one guy who is untouchable and that is JA. After that Greenway is our next best player but as far as OLB's are concerned he is barely a top 10. The entire secondary needs to go.

It is obvious that we have a division that is dominated by QB's and we cannot have a defense that is as soft as ours has been for a long time and be able to compete.

So if there was ever a time to transition to a more effective defense then now is absolutely that time.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I don't like the idea. Taking JA out of what he does best just doesn't seem right. Also some other teams are switching back and dropping the 3-4. It looks like they are seriously looking at the switch.
    Packers apt to replace OLB Walden in 2012 - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Blog Entries
    Here is an interesting paragraph or 2

Some Clarification is in Order: The Defense and NFL Trends - Mile High Report

Now it has been discussed that the 4-3 defense is superior to the 3-4 against mobile quarterbacks for a number of reasons, including a pass rush that comes more up the middle and presents better coverage on the sides to stop a rolling out quarterback, as well as stopping the quarterback from stepping up and out of the pocket by making him face two defensive tackles. But the moment Peyton Manning entered the league, the NFL did an abrupt face, and the addition of guys like Manning, Brees and other pocket passers saw the rise of the 3-4 again, very rapidly. Manning's distaste for the 3-4 is well known, and for a guy who puts in as much work as he does, and to still have issues with a defense is a sign.
    3-4_and_4-3_medium.jpg
    Last edited by Purple Floyd; 12-18-2011 at 09:51 AM.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I hate the cover two defense. It depends on pressure from the front 4 and is vulnerable if we have to blitz. We don't always get pressure from the front four.
    It also depends on a middle linebacker that has great range and speed to cover the middle of the field. We don't have that.
    It also depends on safeties that can tackle. We don't have that.

I'm ok with a scheme change but not with Singeltary coaching it.
    Singletary isn't our coordinator

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Singletary isn't our coordinator
    The article proposed Singletary being promoted to coordinator to run the 3-4.
    "Singletary isn't our coordinator", DUH !

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I'm not sure why so many seem to hate the scheme. There was a time when the Pack changing to the 3-4 was unheard of. They ended up losing their DE in the switch but since then, they have had a dominating defense (I include this season because their offense is simply outscoring everyone and giving amble opportunity for yards to be put on their defense.)

This will work because...
    1. Allen can play the OLB like Ware plays it. Rush 85% of the time and play the flat zone the rest.
    2. Brinkley is a good LB and he is sitting on the bench.
    3. Erin is average and should not be starting, he will be moved to the bench.
    4. Griffen will be moved to OLB like we wanted to.
    5. We have a bunch of DTs that are too small to play DTs and Too big to play DE.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast