Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Switch to 3-4 Defense; Led by Mike Singletary?

Vikings defenders regularly ignored play calls | ProFootballTalk

Early this season, members of the Vikings secondary wasn’t too confident in the approach that defensive coordinator Fred Pagac was taking with his coverage calls.

So they ignored him.

Tom Pelissero of espn1500.com writes that a group of players simply refused to play the defenses called, yelling out their own coverages as they broke the huddle. The players didn’t like the frequency and timing of some man coverage and blitz concept calls.
    Changes are coming to the Vikings defense in the offseason. We’re starting to get a clearer picture of what those changes might entail. Pelissero writes there have been discussions about transitioning to a 3-4 defense with Mike Singletary getting promoted to defensive coordinator. There’s a catch:

“There also are strong concerns within the building about Singletary’s aptitude for the position,” Pelissero writes.

It’s also unclear whether Leslie Frazier, who comes from a a Tampa-2 background, would be open to the change.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Geez Frazier is looking like the defensive guru as the HC similiar to the offensive guru Childress when he was the HC, guess what we need to have happen is get the Brett Favre of middle linebackers (or maybe a safety) on the field to run the defense

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Uh so you dump the DC? How about getting rid of the awful DB's that won't listen to their coach.

I would like more information. It has been said that Pagac wanted more man coverage so he can blitz more so is it our DB's not wanting to play that style? If so again that is the players fault.

This is why the roster needs overhauled.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Geez Frazier is looking like the defensive guru as the HC similiar to the offensive guru Childress when he was the HC, guess what we need to have happen is get the Brett Favre of middle linebackers (or maybe a safety) on the field to run the defense
    Except we have seen good defenses with Fraizer coaching them.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    There have been good defenses against the run game but issues with the passing game.....similar to Childress's offense, good rushing numbers but passing issues

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    If we switch to a 3-4, we're done... and I'm done with Leslie Frazier. I don't blame the DBs for ignoring the coaches calls. They clearly don't know what they're doing.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Good... not great... too many Vikings fans are willing to settle for mediocrity.

I guess it's too much to ask for a great team.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    If we switch to a 3-4, we're done... and I'm done with Leslie Frazier. I don't blame the DBs for ignoring the coaches calls. They clearly don't know what they're doing.
    Very true. we are not ready for the 3-4, and our depth is even worse.

The best possible scenario IMO for the 3-4 now is:

Allen EJ Greenway Draftee/FA

...........KW........????..........Ballard

Robison is Allens' backup, EJ is poorly suited as a 3-4 LB, Brinkley even more so. Erin would be a backup SLB most likely. Onatolu might be able to rotate in as well.

KW isn't really the ideal NT, he'd be a decent DE, Ballard on the other side, Need to figure out the NT situation, and get another starter.

Now, this is assuming Allen can make the transition (See: Aaron Kampman), EJ doesn't continue to decline, Greenway can handle ILB and we get another decent LB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    There have been good defenses against the run game but issues with the passing game.....similar to Childress's offense, good rushing numbers but passing issues
    You will give up passing yards as a cover 2 defense. That is expected. It is a bend but don't break defense. Which is why if you look at the stats we were a very good red zone defense despite the total passing yards teams averaged against us.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    You will give up passing yards as a cover 2 defense. That is expected. It is a bend but don't break defense. Which is why if you look at the stats we were a very good red zone defense despite the total passing yards teams averaged against us.
    What about our defense is "Very good"? We aren't very good in points, we aren't very good in forcing 3 and outs, or stopping on 3rd down. Never have been. What are we good at?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast