Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch to 3-4?

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    His 10 yard split is elite for a defensive lineman or linebacker. Actually, it's pretty damn fast for a receiver or d-back too. At last year's combine 1.49 would have placed him behind only Marquise Goodwin, Tavon Austin and Ryan Swope in the receiver group.

Those are 1.43 and 1.45 10 yard splits. Robison is 80-90 pounds heavier and ran 1.49.

His vertical jump of 40.5" would have been tied for the third best at the combine.

He's an awesome athlete. I don't see any reason why he couldn't play the James Harrison, DeMarcus Ware, Aldon Smith role in a 3-4. Those guys are practically defensive ends anyway, all they do is rush the passer.
    This man speaks the truth.

Robison and EG might be a good pair of 3-4 OLB, should we switch. I'd be more concerned about getting a nose and some mikes.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    This man speaks the truth.

Robison and EG might be a good pair of 3-4 OLB, should we switch. I'd be more concerned about getting a nose and some mikes.
    true, but it is reported that we will keep some kind of 4-3 hybrid, (whatever that means)

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    true, but it is reported that we will keep some kind of 4-3 hybrid, (whatever that means)
    It means we'd have some 3-4 concepts and formations, depending upon down, distance, and offensive personnel packages.

A little more versatility.

tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by PInfante97 View Post
    Not a big fan of the 3-4 but iv noticed a lot of coaches we are going to interview run a 3-4...

Do we even have the players to run a 3-4? What would that look like?

DE - S Floyd
    NT - ??? - Maybe bring back Kevin Williams?
    DE - ???
    OLB - B Robison
    MLB - C Greenway
    MLB - A Cole
    OLB - ??? - Maybe draft Anthony Barr?
    CB - X Rhodes
    CB - ???
    SS - H Smith
    FS - ???

not a fan of the 3-4 at all....
    I didn't like the 3-4 originally but it has grown on me, it is definitely more flexible than a 4-3 and I like the fact you can disguise your blitzes better IMO. We don't have a lot of guys for a 4-3 also so we could go either way and need about the same number of players probably. Floyd would be a wasted pick though if we move to a 3-4 has too small a frame to play a 5tech and would enveloped by the big OTs and he is not a true NT in a 3-4.
    Kevin Williams is as a very good 3tech but I don't know how he'd do as a NT in a 3-4.
    Great pick with Anthony Barr but he is very raw but great upside, he would be a good fit.

IMO we would need a complete new line if we went to a 3-4. at least 1 OLB, 1 CB, and 1 S

If we look at what we need for a 4-3, we need a RDE, NT, OLB, CB ,S. So as I said before not much difference we would need a few more DL for a 3-4 but if you want to make a change with the D we have, now would be the time.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 01-14-2014 at 01:46 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Switch to 3-4?

I would and C.J. Mosley,

tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    I would and C.J. Mosley,
    I would love that pick, I would also love Barr out of UCLA. I think we need Barr a little more than Mosley. I think Cole and Greenway would be serviceable as mikes in a 3-4. We would need a rush OLB like a Barr. We still have Robison and Griffin so it may not really matter who we draft of the two.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12