Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    PurpleReign is offline Rookie

Sweet Jesus....Reggie gets the flag lowered?!

Ok, I'm sorry....but the death of an athlete, no matter how great they were, is not grounds for lowering the AMERICAN FLAG. That is a bit much, in my view.

It wasn't done for Pat Tillman, so why should it be done for White? Why not lower it for Jerry Orbach too. An actor, but hey...he died too.

The death of a President or major political figure? Yes.

9/11..Pearl Harbor, etc.? Yes.

An athlete passing? No.

There are other ways to honor Reggie White. You don't lower the symbol of freedom that people have died and bled for, for somebody who played a game. Especially when soldiers are dying in Iraq right now. Why doesn't the flag get lowered for them?

Sorry, but that's how I feel about it.

Del Rio Guest

It's not disrespective to our flag it is an honor the the family.

But I do see where you are coming from and I am sure the majority of people including athletes themselves would agree with you.

It is odd that they did lower the flag. Not sure what the logic was behind that.

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Complete BS IMHO. Lower it when OJ dies too... he was great on the field.

PurpleReign is offline Rookie

I think it is a HUGE disrespect to the flag, when we have soldiers coming home in body bags who died for what the flag symbolizes.

Philly isn't doing it. Chicago didn't do it for Walter.

lowering the flag of any nation is the respect of the died. it is a way a people can show respect of a person to the world... :scratch: of course thinking this way or lets say the way who ever choose to pay this kind of respect for this person :shock: why having said this :angryfire: isn't currently the US flag at Half Mast for the men and woman who are dieing EVERY DAY IN IRAQ and Afganistan :blackeye:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Del Rio Guest

http://www.funsocialstudies.learninghaven.com/articles/halfmastflags.htm

Interesting information here about this.

Flags can only be flown at half-mast to represent the death of an important government official. In order to fly it half-mast for any other reason, the President must give his approval.

Never knew that,

personally you being offended by this is really no different then if your post that is titled "Sweet Jesus" offended someone else

2fat4uVike is offline Rookie

Who is "they" doing the lowering of the flag?
    If "they" do this for Reggie, we're all going to get a new national day off when Bert Farve passes the pearly gates. :shock:
    088676aa021b660e4a867e020ba397cf

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"jackyl" wrote:
    Reggie was also great off the field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "jackyl" wrote:
    Reggie was also great off the field
    You bet...

WHITE, REGGIE
    This is not about whether God speaks to Reggie White, although you might question whether White stops talking long enough to hear Him, if He does. You might remember the speech last month to the Wisconsin State Assembly. White was expected to speak for a few minutes and went blazes for 50. He spoke from the heart, and he spoke from left field. He spoke what he believed. He said homosexuality is part of the sin that has "run rampant in our nation, and because it has run rampant in our nation, our nation is in the condition it is today." What condition is that, Reg? Close-minded and judgmental? Races, meanwhile, were reduced to stereotypes. Asians can "turn a television into a watch." Hispanics are "gifted in family structure ... they can put 20 or 30 people in one home." Whites "know how to tap into money." Blacks are "very gifted in what we call worship and celebration."
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/features/00674210.html
    8/99
    Former NFL star Reggie White and his wife are offering to pledge $25,000 of the equity in their Green Bay home to help post bail for an alleged gang leader facing racketeering and narcotics charges. The attorney for Gamaliel Matos, 29, said in federal court this week that Reggie and Sara White had made the offer, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported in today's edition. The newspaper said the Whites wrote a letter a year ago in support of Matos, one of 33 alleged Latin Kings named in indictments handed down in June 1998. Matos, who was working as a youth mentor when indicted, is charged with two racketeering counts and conspiring to distribute narcotics. The racketeering counts allege he was involved in drug trafficking in 1987, an attempted car arson in 1988, an attempted murder in 1988 and drug conspiracy. The Whites said in their letter that they met Matos in 1996 when Reggie White, a minister, was preaching at a Milwaukee church.
    http://www.apbnews.com/media/celebnews/1999/08/06/white0806_01.html

I am not american but I can probably think of tons of Athletes who would be more deserving. That being said, athletes in general are not THAT spectacular.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Del Rio Guest

Lots of political people have done much worse

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast