Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Sundays Prediction Vikes VS Lions

I KNOW THIS IS GEARED TOWARDS FANTASY FOOTBALL

BUT THE TRENDS ARE THINGS TO CONSIDER.

Author: Paul Charchian

The Vikings' offense got back on track last week, and since they've averaged 29 points per game against Detroit since 2001, I project a strong fantasy game for the Purple, especially the running game. Teams have run effectively on Detroit of late, topping 127 rushing yards in 4 of the last 5 games. Plus, the Vikings have topped 110 rushing yards against Detroit in five straight meetings. And, if you needed more convincing, remember that unlike previous weeks, the Vikings shouldn't be operating from behind throughout the game. So, I love the running game this week...but which runner will prevail? Read on for the complete fantasy breakdown.

Quarterback

Daunte Culpepper: Oddly, Culpepper's track record against the Lions isn't as strong as one might think. He's topped 300 yards just once against Detroit, and hasn't thrown a touchdown pass in the last two meetings (although he got knocked out early in one of them). On the positive side of the ledger, he's run for six touchdowns in his last five games against Detroit. For the reasons mentioned above, the Vikings will be emphasizing the running game, so expect subdued numbers from Culpepper.

Running Back

Onterrio Smith: Don't overreact to the lack of action that Smith got last Sunday. Minnesota won't need to abandon the run this week, and Smith will get no less than half of the team's carries. Considering the difficulty Detroit has had stopping runners of late (Week 10: Fred Taylor, 144 yards; Week 9: Clinton Portis, 147 yards; Week 8: Eddie George 99 yards; Week 7: Tiki Barber, 102 yards), Smith should be able to near 100 total yards, and find a way to scrap for a touchdown, despite ceding carries to Michael Bennett.

Michael Bennett: Bennett was designated the starter last week, but playing from behind throughout, the running game was quickly abandoned. He'll see many more carries this week, but his track record against the Lions is a mixed bag. On the positive side, he's scored in each of his last three games against Detroit. On the downside, he's only averaged 61 yards per game against them. Touchdowns will be harder to come by this year, with Smith and Moe Williams around, but he'll garner enough carries to offer a chance for a score on a long run.

Mewelde Moore: His ankle (and ego) should be healed, but Moore appears to be entrenched as the teams third back, so barring a surprise, Moore is a desperation fantasy play.

Moe Williams: As the team's best pass blocking runner, Williams saw some extra game time last week. Against Detroit, Culpepper might throw half of the 44 passes he threw last Sunday, so Williams will need a goal line opportunity to be a fantasy factor.

Wide Receiver

Randy Moss: It's just as well that Moss is unlikely to play this week. For reasons that I'm at a loss to explain, Moss has failed to score on Detroit in five of the last six games. For most of Moss' career, Detroit's secondary has been miserable. Go figure. Even if he does manage to play, he'll likely be a far cry from 100%, and considering his track record, you'll probably need to be wary of starting him.

Nate Burleson: I don't usually brag, but I predicted a big game for Burleson in this space last week, and he came through. Although I like Burleson's chances of scoring more than any other Viking receiver this week, my confidence isn't nearly as strong as last week. Detroit has allowed just one Viking touchdown to wide receivers in the past three games. Plus, Dré Bly is back, and he'll cover the Vikings' best receiver; with Moss out, and Marcus Robinson silent the past few weeks, that guy might be Burleson.

Marcus Robinson: It looks like Robinson's role has been reduced to being the target of a couple of long balls each game, and a fade-route recipient in the end zone. That's not a lot of work (or yardage), but he's a very viable red zone target, so a jump-ball touchdown is still a possibility, especially against the Lions' diminutive (5'10") corners.

Tight End

Jermaine Wiggins: He's a major part of the Vikings' passing game, so you'll want to keep him in your lineup. Detroit is pretty stingy against opposing tight ends, but not enough that you should consider benching him.

Kicker

Morten Andersen: Seemingly, every week I'm finding new ways to explain why Andersen has a tough matchup. This week, the bad news comes in the form of Detroit's remarkable propensity to allow plenty of extra points (19 so far), and very few field goals (10). The Lions have only given up multiple field goals in two games. So, it looks like yet more single-pointers for the Dane. If Andersen reads this column regularly and ever finds himself in the same room as myself, there's going to be a showdown. Gunplay, perhaps.

Paul Charchian is the publisher of the world's most popular fantasy sports site, www.Fanball.com.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Detuction from article:

Bly is tough on WRs and DC.
    We will run more.
    Detroit gives up more TDs than FGs, means long strikes for us from RBs (Bennett) and maybe one from DC to Campbell or Robinson.

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

[quote="

WOW a pack fan said something good about the vikings defense!!

a sign of the apocalypse![/quote]

I thought I heard four horses running wild......<grin>

LOTGK

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

packmanxxxi is offline Asst. Coach

Detroit 24 Minn 14
    3 Straight Division Champs

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

vikings should have the run of the field.
    VIKINGS 35- LIONS 23

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

It all depends upon which team shows up.

Detroit has some offensive firepower. If they show up, we could be in for a rough day. Our "D" hasn't really stepped on anyone other than Tennessee.

Our "O" has started slow for three weeks - well, 2 really. Against NY they never even started. Detroit, meanwhile, has a moderate defense. They can hurt us if we go in cocky.

I am HOPEFUL that our guys go in with some fire and tear the Lions up...but I'm not bettin' the farm on it.

Caine

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"packmanxxxi" wrote:
    Detroit 24 Minn 14
    WHAT ??? I suppose if it was in Detroit you'd have the Lions winning by 20?

Houston 24 - Fudge Pack 14

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

"purplehorn" wrote:
    "dan3ski" wrote:
    wow 73 points in a game it might be true that there are not good defenses in the NFC, that does not bode well for a SB victory by the NFC.
    [size=7px][/size]

NFC wins if they score more points. Right from the book of Madden

Well all I can say is the Vikings scored 31 points last week and it was not enought. Defenses win championships!
    can we clone Bud Grant?

packmanxxxi is offline Asst. Coach

SKOL- no.... I seriously think you all are in denial. You are still talking up the Vikings as if they are the next coming of Christ and they've lost 3 in a row. And don't tell me they aren't thinking of last year. It may sound silly, but Hovans little tirad with the band last week was an indication of the frustrations of the team. I think Detroits offense will come to play and I think your offense will struggle with their ball control.

God forbid I pick against the Vikings vs. a division team!!!! I think you all need a dose of reality and whats happening to your team right now... your unravelling from the inside. If they do win, it doeant mean your beack in the right track either... you can deny it all you want... but it only makes in more painful in the end...
    3 Straight Division Champs

KansasStateViking is offline Training Camp

Vikes 38
    Lions 14
    "Ain t nothing but 10 grand. What s 10 grand to me?" - Randy "Moonman" Moss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast