Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Sunday Morning Practice Update.

Sunday morning, Tank done for season

It was confirmed today that S Tank Williams will be out for the entire season after suffering an injury to his left knee during yesterdays practice. The initial reports are that he does not have ligament damage, rather the injury is to the knee cap itself. Coach Childress seemed particularly distressed about Tank when he spoke to the media today.

"I feel terrible for Tank for a few reasons," said Childress. "Number one, thirty years doing this and injuries are the toughest thing, and season ending injuries to a guy that's worked awfully hard to put himself in a position it's particularly disappointing."

"In addition, my family and my guys, and he's one of my guys. He's one of the guys that threw in here as a free agent, one of those ten guys I sat down and looked in the eye and talked with. So when I saw him in the shower room last night it was kind of an emotional thing. And you know what, I know there's a plan, I don't know what it is and he knows there's a plan too, but he's gonna suck it up and take it and rehab."

The loss of Tank makes it just that much more important that the team was able to add Dwight Smith to the roster. Smith is becoming more and more vocal at practice and he'll now be looked to as the guy at safety.

"Dwight probably doesn't get enough credit," said QB Brad Johnson. "He calls himself the 'Real MVP' for the two INTs down there in the Super Bowl. He's a head-hunter, knows how to play the game, very smart especially in this system."

Other injury news:

-DT Kevin Williams sat out today's session with swelling in his right knee. Williams has had problems with the knee ever since he left college, so the team is trying to be extra careful with him.

With both Kevin and Pat Williams out, it was Spencer Johnson and Rodd Kolodziej working with Kenechi Udeze and Erasmus James on the starting defensive line.

Coach Childress did indicate that Pat should be back in a few days.

-Chad Greenway suffered a concussion yesterday, and today was held out of the morning workout. Coach Childress indicated that he was taking the necessary steps to return and he expected Greenway to be out on the field for this afternoon's special teams practice.

-Chester Taylor was in uniform today after missing yesterday's sessions with a groin injury, however he barely particiapted and was seen riding off on the backof a golf cart after practice.

"Chester Taylor is still tender in the groin area," said Childress. "We want to make sure he treats that up and takes care of that before he gets back out on the field."

Notes:

-FB Tony Richardson returned from the Hall of Fame ceremonies just in time to run Dontarrious Thomas over during full contact work.

-It wasn't all bad for Thomas however, as he looked very good for the most part today. He looks more under control and the coaching staff made it a point to give him credit for his work today.

-Yesterday I told you about my favorite drill, the pursuit drill. Today DE Darrion Scott took it to another level, going full out Superman through the tackling dummies piled up on the sideline. The Russian judge gave him a 5.3, but I'm willing to give the guy at least an 8.5. The landing was a little rough, but his form was top notch.

-Some personnel talk, E.J. Henderson and Napoleon Harris are in on nickel defense and Devonte Edwards is the third CB. It's obviously very early in the process, but for now that's how it's shaking out.

-Troy Williamson had another stand out day. He did drop one quick out, but everything else was great. Brad Johnson found Williamson down the sideline over Fred Smoot and he made a great adjustment to an under-thrown ball against Antoine Winfield. If Williamson keeps this up he's primed for a big season.

-Before the team went to full contact there was one big hit, delivered by DE Erasmus James. Travis Taylor caught a ball across the middle and started to pull up, only to have James lay him out. Taylor refused the help up from James, clearly not appreciating the hit.

-What more can I say about J.T. O'Sullivan, he's done.

-Today rookie C/G Ryan Cook worked primarily at T with the thrid string O-line. Some days he's out there, other days he's inside so it's hard to get a read on what's going on there.

-The offense worked the 2 minute drill today and looked good. They weren't able to get into the endzone, but did move the ball and seemed very organized.

-Jason Carter was at it again, smoking Fred Smoot in one-on-one drills. Carter just keeps on impressing, but I'm sure it's getting old having me tell you that. Oh well.

-Mewelde Moore got the snaps with the first team today and looked good catching the ball and running. However he needed a little coaching in pass protection. Chester Taylor has a leg up here and like I've said before, pass protection is going to be a big reason Taylor stays on the field.

-Mike McMahon really showed up today in the 2 minute drill, and was clearly the most composed of the three backup QBs. He made several nice throws on time and led the 2nd team offense further down the field vs. the #1 defense than the #1 offense did vs. the #2 defense.

-To that end, the 2nd string O-line is playing very well together, handling the 1st team defense pretty well.

-At the end of the 2 minute work, the team tried the hook and lateral in the middle of the field. Mewelde Moore gave Koren Robinson a bad pitch however and Willie Offord scooped it up and took it to the house.

-Ryan Longwell showed off the leg a little bit, hitting two 45-yard FGs into a pretty stiff breeze.

-Ryan Hoag made a nice catch while fighting coverage on the sideline, but the most impressive part was how hard Tarvaris Jackson had to throw the ball to get it in there.

-Jackson ran a little hot and cold, at one point throwing high and wide into the chest of CB Cedric Griffin. He also nearly threw an INT to LB Kyle McKenzie, but McKenzie couldn't find the handle.

-I said earlier in this post that Devonte Edwards was the thrid CB, but he is getting a strong push from Cedric Griffin. Griffin plays hard and is always around the ball, that should be a good battle to watch in the pre-season games.

Sunday Morning Update

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Sunday Morning Practice Update.

Very nice read.. So it looks like it is bye, bye for JT O'Sullivan.. Nice to see our 2nd year guys, and also our rookies are playing hard.. I can't wait for preseason games so I can watch these guys in person..

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Noo, I really wanted to see Tank play this year. :sad: I feel so bad for him. Man that would suck to get an injury like he did. I hope he can make a full recovery and be back next year better than ever. Good luck Tank!

Thank god we signed Dwight Smith. Now we have a proven player at that position to and if he goes down than there is Willie Offord. Didn't Dwight take a int or two to the house in the Superbowl?

Anyway great read. Man I feel really bad for Tank

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

-Troy Williamson had another stand out day. He did drop one quick out, but everything else was great. Brad Johnson found Williamson down the sideline over Fred Smoot and he made a great adjustment to an under-thrown ball against Antoine Winfield. If Williamson keeps this up he's primed for a big season.

-Jason Carter was at it again, smoking Fred Smoot in one-on-one drills. Carter just keeps on impressing, but I'm sure it's getting old having me tell you that. Oh well.

That's what stood out to me in this read.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Greenway's concussion concerned me. I'm very scared of injuries at this point.... We could be the next Philly Eagles from last year.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

howkings is offline Rookie

Thanks for the report ultra. Every time I read these updates it seems that Fred Smoot is getting burned by one of our receivers. Is it too early to be concerned?

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Hehe, not Ultra, Howkings.

Vikings | C. Greenway takes part in afternoon session Sunday
    Sun, 6 Aug 2006 17:41:36 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings LB Chad Greenway (concussion) took part in the afternoon session Sunday, Aug. 6.

Seems to be ok I guess, I hope he is.

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

thank god

howkings is offline Rookie

Sorry about that undisputed. Credit goes to you.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

[size=18px]That's what stood out to me in this read[/size].
    That and he has a hard time typing "thrid"

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast