Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Good!
    Hope those smarts help out with the line calls!!
    Well, Birk is a pretty smart guy too...

Looks to me like Sullivan is the guy, or Herrera and him could swap places.
    I think Our TOA or FO management style is still following the NE gameplan.
    Always looking ahead, drafting for the future, not for the now, and having at least an option behind aging vets who are likely looking to make that last big payday of their career.
    You can't afford to keep them all, so make sure you got youth behind them.

Birk and Sharper move on, Sullivan and Johnson step in.
    Real good chance we draft some CBs and possibly a DT to start grooming, and likely early in this year's draft.
    Of course, we could still use some depth at C and RT, and an upgrade at WR, just in case none of our young guys there are ready to take the next step.

Also, if you spend big on Free Agency one year, and then rotate with a low spending year, while letting a couple of long time vets like Sharper and Birk go, you lose enough vet years to collect some extra, supplemental draft picks.
    Which open up other possibilities.

So, yeah, sorry to see Birk and Sharp go, but not too disappointed.

Very nice My Sexy Little Pixie......

On a side note, I wonder how much (or how little) we have spent in FA is in concert with how much we will have to spend next year (end of this year) on some of our young talent from the 2006 draft class?
    True, but we have like 30mill to spend and so far we've spent about 5mill of it... I guess we'll be giving extensions to guys like Griff and Possibly TJ if he does anything... but i dont' see where we spend the remaining of it unless we get some free agents or re-sign some of the guys we've lost..

I read something that said chilly and spielman were waiting until a little later so that they could get a few guys out there at discounts...

I wish there was a big splash for a QB.. I heard Cutler bitches all the time esp. after games... he still has talent though...

lukeshkin is offline Rookie

I am not as panicked as some people are about the C position.
    It has happened before and has turned out well.
    Sure, the C is an integral part of the line, but, the team will not implode because of it.
    There is a lot of offseason left.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cook takes the position from Sullivan in an open competiton.
    There may be something else brewing in the shadows too.

I agree i think sullivan will also benefit from playing next to a veteran in hutchinson.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Good!
    Hope those smarts help out with the line calls!!
    Well, Birk is a pretty smart guy too...

Looks to me like Sullivan is the guy, or Herrera and him could swap places.
    I think Our TOA or FO management style is still following the NE gameplan.
    Always looking ahead, drafting for the future, not for the now, and having at least an option behind aging vets who are likely looking to make that last big payday of their career.
    You can't afford to keep them all, so make sure you got youth behind them.

Birk and Sharper move on, Sullivan and Johnson step in.
    Real good chance we draft some CBs and possibly a DT to start grooming, and likely early in this year's draft.
    Of course, we could still use some depth at C and RT, and an upgrade at WR, just in case none of our young guys there are ready to take the next step.

Also, if you spend big on Free Agency one year, and then rotate with a low spending year, while letting a couple of long time vets like Sharper and Birk go, you lose enough vet years to collect some extra, supplemental draft picks.
    Which open up other possibilities.

So, yeah, sorry to see Birk and Sharp go, but not too disappointed.

Very nice My Sexy Little Pixie......

On a side note, I wonder how much (or how little) we have spent in FA is in concert with how much we will have to spend next year (end of this year) on some of our young talent from the 2006 draft class?
    True, but we have like 30mill to spend and so far we've spent about 5mill of it... I guess we'll be giving extensions to guys like Griff and Possibly TJ if he does anything... but i dont' see where we spend the remaining of it unless we get some free agents or re-sign some of the guys we've lost..

I read something that said chilly and spielman were waiting until a little later so that they could get a few guys out there at discounts...

I wish there was a big splash for a QB.. I heard Cutler bitches all the time esp. after games... he still has talent though...
    Very nice.......

By the way, Wildwoman likes it when I get discounts...... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "MinnesotaFury" wrote:
    The boys on the Power Trip this morning were talking about how small Sullivan is.
    I'm curious how he's going to address that going into camp.
    I'm pretty sure the Vikings don't want to throw Hicks into the starting lineup yet either.
    He's very valuable as a jack-of-all-trades OL who can play any position.
    It's nice to have the insurance there.

I can't really comment on Cook at C.
    He hasn't been all that stellar at RT obviously.
    But we'll have to see how training camp goes.
    I have a feeling that we drafted Sullivan in anticipation of the Birk leaving.
    He may be seeing gametime a bit quicker than anticipated, but nonetheless, I'm pretty sure he's intended to start.

Small? He's listed at 6-4, 301 lbs. I am much more concerned with his ability to read D's and make the proper calls.

I don't think there's any question that we will see Cook and Sullivan compete for the starting job, and OT will be our 1st pick.
    Lets hope that ND education goes to good use. reading the D is not easy. i think pre-season will tell us alot.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared - Ready for challenge

[size=13pt]Vikings' Sullivan is ready for challenge[/size]

The second-year center hopes to replace the departed Matt Birk but knows the job won't be handed to him.

By SID HARTMAN, Star Tribune

Last update: May 20, 2009 - 9:31 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

That is going to be one big [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]?[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"vikings4life33" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "MinnesotaFury" wrote:
    The boys on the Power Trip this morning were talking about how small Sullivan is.
    I'm curious how he's going to address that going into camp.
    I'm pretty sure the Vikings don't want to throw Hicks into the starting lineup yet either.
    He's very valuable as a jack-of-all-trades OL who can play any position.
    It's nice to have the insurance there.

I can't really comment on Cook at C.
    He hasn't been all that stellar at RT obviously.
    But we'll have to see how training camp goes.
    I have a feeling that we drafted Sullivan in anticipation of the Birk leaving.
    He may be seeing gametime a bit quicker than anticipated, but nonetheless, I'm pretty sure he's intended to start.

Small? He's listed at 6-4, 301 lbs. I am much more concerned with his ability to read D's and make the proper calls.

I don't think there's any question that we will see Cook and Sullivan compete for the starting job, and OT will be our 1st pick.
    Lets hope that ND education goes to good use. reading the D is not easy. i think pre-season will tell us alot.
    No exotic defenses in preseason... the only thing preseason will do is give us a false indication of strong performance.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

To me, how our new C and hopefully new RT play is an even bigger ????? than who the QB is.
    In fact, I'd say its our biggest concern going into 2009.
    (*I'm sure most disagree, but I see Sage, Brett, and TJack as roughly equal once you sum up each set of pros and cons-but thats another discussion in a different thread*)
    So far we've heard nothing but good news about Sully, so I'm hoping its more than lip service/hype, and he's ready to get er done!!
    Possibly, his youth will add some more mobility, flexibility, and strength to the middle of our OL...sure we'll likely see some rookie mistakes, but his overall athletic improvement may make up for them in a big way!

Apparently, we like HUGE OTs.
    At this point, I'm betting Cook was drafted more on size than play tape.
    The race for RT may be interesting...Loadholt should get it eventually, but the experience of Hicks or Cook could beat him out...for a few weeks, or even a season or two.
    Hopefully whoever starts there does a better job on the presnap penalties!!
    But, with 2 new starters in our BIG 5, we'll probably still be shooting our foots off regularly!
    D'oh!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I would prefer Herrera and Cook at center and RG for 1 year but I can live with this

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

He thinks...

You are or you arn't
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast