Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    694

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    "MinnesotaFury" wrote:
    I'm just repeating what I heard on the radio.
    They said he looks much smaller when standing next to Birk.
    I think we'll address OT in the draft for sure, most likely on the 1st day.
    I'm not sure if we'll go there with our first rounder though.
    I'd be more inclined to wait if it means grabbing a guy like Vontae Davis at #22.
    no way davis falls to #22 after his combine results. He turned a lot of heads there. We'll go OT with the 1st pick unless Hakeem Nicks is there than we might try and grab him than address OT in the 2nd(if we don't get TO or Holt or whoever)

    thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

    and yes... that just happened!

  2. #12
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    ...(Was Birk pretty good about that?) “He was always forthright, answering any questions I had. The responsibility is always on the younger guy to ask. The older guy doesn’t just automatically go out of his way and tell you things unless you come up and have a question. I made sure I was always eager to ask any question I had and he was always really helpful.”...
    This has been my point all along.
    Some say the veterans do not mentor, it's the coaches job.
    It is both.
    If you are so much of an idiot that you do not ask the vets for advice you cannot expect them to come and spoon feed it to you.
    It works that way in every profession.
    If you have the initiative to succeed and move forward you can.

    I am not as panicked as some people are about the C position.
    It has happened before and has turned out well.
    Sure, the C is an integral part of the line, but, the team will not implode because of it.
    There is a lot of offseason left.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cook takes the position from Sullivan in an open competiton.
    There may be something else brewing in the shadows too.

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...(Was Birk pretty good about that?) “He was always forthright, answering any questions I had. The responsibility is always on the younger guy to ask. The older guy doesn’t just automatically go out of his way and tell you things unless you come up and have a question. I made sure I was always eager to ask any question I had and he was always really helpful.”...
    This has been my point all along.
    Some say the veterans do not mentor, it's the coaches job.
    It is both.
    If you are so much of an idiot that you do not ask the vets for advice you cannot expect them to come and spoon feed it to you.
    It works that way in every profession.
    If you have the initiative to succeed and move forward you can.

    I am not as panicked as some people are about the C position.
    It has happened before and has turned out well.
    Sure, the C is an integral part of the line, but, the team will not implode because of it.
    There is a lot of offseason left.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cook takes the position from Sullivan in an open competiton.
    There may be something else brewing in the shadows too.

    And some say Coaches Coach and Players Play.
    ;D

    Just kidding......Kindof like my point I like to make with Lord Dickhead.
    He said pretty much the same thing.
    It isn't his job to groome the kid to replace him.
    If he has questions and makes the effort, I will answer.
    I am not gonna go looking for him.....(I paraphrased a bit).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    Big Matt's Avatar
    Big Matt is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    228

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    Anyone think we may draft a C?

  5. #15
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...(Was Birk pretty good about that?) “He was always forthright, answering any questions I had. The responsibility is always on the younger guy to ask. The older guy doesn’t just automatically go out of his way and tell you things unless you come up and have a question. I made sure I was always eager to ask any question I had and he was always really helpful.”...
    This has been my point all along.
    Some say the veterans do not mentor, it's the coaches job.
    It is both.
    If you are so much of an idiot that you do not ask the vets for advice you cannot expect them to come and spoon feed it to you.
    It works that way in every profession.
    If you have the initiative to succeed and move forward you can.

    I am not as panicked as some people are about the C position.
    It has happened before and has turned out well.
    Sure, the C is an integral part of the line, but, the team will not implode because of it.
    There is a lot of offseason left.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cook takes the position from Sullivan in an open competiton.
    There may be something else brewing in the shadows too.

    And some say Coaches Coach and Players Play.

    ;D

    Just kidding......Kindof like my point I like to make with Lord Dickhead.
    He said pretty much the same thing.
    It isn't his job to groome the kid to replace him.
    If he has questions and makes the effort, I will answer.
    I am not gonna go looking for him.....(I paraphrased a bit).

    That sounds suspiciously like a compliment from Marr for Favre.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...(Was Birk pretty good about that?) “He was always forthright, answering any questions I had. The responsibility is always on the younger guy to ask. The older guy doesn’t just automatically go out of his way and tell you things unless you come up and have a question. I made sure I was always eager to ask any question I had and he was always really helpful.”...
    This has been my point all along.
    Some say the veterans do not mentor, it's the coaches job.
    It is both.
    If you are so much of an idiot that you do not ask the vets for advice you cannot expect them to come and spoon feed it to you.
    It works that way in every profession.
    If you have the initiative to succeed and move forward you can.

    I am not as panicked as some people are about the C position.
    It has happened before and has turned out well.
    Sure, the C is an integral part of the line, but, the team will not implode because of it.
    There is a lot of offseason left.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cook takes the position from Sullivan in an open competiton.
    There may be something else brewing in the shadows too.

    And some say Coaches Coach and Players Play.

    ;D

    Just kidding......Kindof like my point I like to make with Lord Dickhead.
    He said pretty much the same thing.
    It isn't his job to groome the kid to replace him.
    If he has questions and makes the effort, I will answer.
    I am not gonna go looking for him.....(I paraphrased a bit).

    That sounds suspiciously like a compliment from Marr for Favre.
    I give Lord Dickhead lots of compliments.
    Seriously, as a NFL fan I loved to watch the cat play at times.
    As a Vikings fan, not so much.... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "MinnesotaFury" wrote:
    The boys on the Power Trip this morning were talking about how small Sullivan is.
    I'm curious how he's going to address that going into camp.
    I'm pretty sure the Vikings don't want to throw Hicks into the starting lineup yet either.
    He's very valuable as a jack-of-all-trades OL who can play any position.
    It's nice to have the insurance there.

    I can't really comment on Cook at C.
    He hasn't been all that stellar at RT obviously.
    But we'll have to see how training camp goes.
    I have a feeling that we drafted Sullivan in anticipation of the Birk leaving.
    He may be seeing gametime a bit quicker than anticipated, but nonetheless, I'm pretty sure he's intended to start.

    Small? He's listed at 6-4, 301 lbs. I am much more concerned with his ability to read D's and make the proper calls.

    I don't think there's any question that we will see Cook and Sullivan compete for the starting job, and OT will be our 1st pick.
    Yea, bout the same size as Matt.
    Not sure if that is really considered small.
    I would be more concerned about his upper/lower body strenght.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...aft-gems_N.htm


    "...He is by far the smartest lineman that I have ever been around, ever talked to or ever coached." John Latina, Notre Dame's offensive line coach
    Sounds good, even though I have no idea who else Latina has coached.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  8. #18
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,835

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    Good!
    Hope those smarts help out with the line calls!!
    Well, Birk is a pretty smart guy too...

    Looks to me like Sullivan is the guy, or Herrera and him could swap places.
    I think Our TOA or FO management style is still following the NE gameplan.
    Always looking ahead, drafting for the future, not for the now, and having at least an option behind aging vets who are likely looking to make that last big payday of their career.
    You can't afford to keep them all, so make sure you got youth behind them.


    Birk and Sharper move on, Sullivan and Johnson step in.
    Real good chance we draft some CBs and possibly a DT to start grooming, and likely early in this year's draft.
    Of course, we could still use some depth at C and RT, and an upgrade at WR, just in case none of our young guys there are ready to take the next step.

    Also, if you spend big on Free Agency one year, and then rotate with a low spending year, while letting a couple of long time vets like Sharper and Birk go, you lose enough vet years to collect some extra, supplemental draft picks.
    Which open up other possibilities.

    So, yeah, sorry to see Birk and Sharp go, but not too disappointed.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Good!
    Hope those smarts help out with the line calls!!
    Well, Birk is a pretty smart guy too...

    Looks to me like Sullivan is the guy, or Herrera and him could swap places.
    I think Our TOA or FO management style is still following the NE gameplan.
    Always looking ahead, drafting for the future, not for the now, and having at least an option behind aging vets who are likely looking to make that last big payday of their career.
    You can't afford to keep them all, so make sure you got youth behind them.


    Birk and Sharper move on, Sullivan and Johnson step in.
    Real good chance we draft some CBs and possibly a DT to start grooming, and likely early in this year's draft.
    Of course, we could still use some depth at C and RT, and an upgrade at WR, just in case none of our young guys there are ready to take the next step.

    Also, if you spend big on Free Agency one year, and then rotate with a low spending year, while letting a couple of long time vets like Sharper and Birk go, you lose enough vet years to collect some extra, supplemental draft picks.
    Which open up other possibilities.

    So, yeah, sorry to see Birk and Sharp go, but not too disappointed.

    Very nice my friend......

    On a side note, I wonder how much (or how little) we have spent in FA is in concert with how much we will have to spend next year (end of this year) on some of our young talent from the 2006 draft class?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Sullivan: I think I’m prepared

    I would have prefered to let Birk come back for whatever money he wanted

    But since he isn't i'm ok at this point with Sullivan.. He was a beast in college and learned a bit this year.. Let's hope he can make this work!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 06:56 AM
  2. Brad Childress: Ready for the challenge - VIDEO
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
  3. Untested Jackson ready for scrutiny, challenge of taking over as Vikings QB
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 02:22 PM
  4. Cook prepared
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 12:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •