Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

A suggestion for offseason moves

Alright, great season guys. Could have been better though.

Randy Moss has a lot of growing up to do, and I assure you all that he will do it this offseason. I think he's finally starting to get the message.

Anyway, priorities:

Fire Mike Tice
    Choose a feature back
    Re-sign Jermaine Wiggins
    Sign Fred Smoot
    Move Brian Williams to free safety
    Find a quality backup QB, since Frerotte is probably leaving
    Get a solid MLB in free-agency - enough with waiting for EJ to grow, he blew at least 3 games for us
    Draft a safety to push Chavous/Williams

I think with Smoot and Winfield lining up at corner for us, both of whom are very physical, Cottrell will have a lot more freedom to blitz. We need a hard-hitting safety to cover tight-ends and running backs, and Brian Williams can do that - what he cannot do is play corner.

Getting Jermaine Wiggins back will be huge - he is a great pass-catching tight end. Jimmy Kleinsasser, though very good, is basically the spear of our outside running game. If we choose a feature back - which we must - we'll be able to run the ball much more effectively.

And we need a MLB to make the calls for us. We need someone with a lot of fire and speed, whom can lead the defense by example - a Ray Lewis style linebacker, if you will. It will be integral for our defensive growth.

We also need a new coach. It's very simple. We complain that we don't have defensive personnel, and that is true to an extent, but Bill Belichick's schemes allowed him to trash Indianapolis with a pathetic secondary. We need a defensive minded coach - our offense will take care of itself.

Finally, I think we should draft a Marlin Jackson like player, who can play corner and safety, and move him around as necessary. We need an amazingly skilled defensive player who can move around and make plays, like an Ed Reed.

I conclude by saying that we exceeded expectations, and will continue to grow. The question is whether or not our leadership will step up next year - both on the field and on the sidelines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

I agree with most of that. We DO NOT need a new coach though, what we do need is to keep the same coaching staff for at least 2 years. We hire/fire them year by year, players are going in and out of playing style with each of them. Keep them, and let the players learn the system!!!!!!!
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A suggestion for offseason moves

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Alright, great season guys. Could have been better though.

Randy Moss has a lot of growing up to do, and I assure you all that he will do it this offseason. I think he's finally starting to get the message.

Anyway, priorities:

Fire Mike Tice
    Choose a feature back
    Re-sign Jermaine Wiggins
    Sign Fred Smoot
    Move Brian Williams to free safety
    Find a quality backup QB, since Frerotte is probably leaving
    Get a solid MLB in free-agency - enough with waiting for EJ to grow, he blew at least 3 games for us

I think with Smoot and Winfield lining up at corner for us, both of whom are very physical, Cottrell will have a lot more freedom to blitz. We need a hard-hitting safety to cover tight-ends and running backs, and Brian Williams can do that - what he cannot do is play corner.

Getting Jermaine Wiggins back will be huge - he is a great pass-catching tight end. Jimmy Kleinsasser, though very good, is basically the spear of our outside running game. If we choose a feature back - which we must - we'll be able to run the ball much more effectively.

And we need a MLB to make the calls for us. We need someone with a lot of fire and speed, whom can lead the defense by example - a Ray Lewis style linebacker, if you will. It will be integral for our defensive growth.

We also need a new coach. It's very simple. We complain that we don't have defensive personnel, and that is true to an extent, but Bill Belichick's schemes allowed him to trash Indianapolis with a pathetic secondary. We need a defensive minded coach - our offense will take care of itself.

Finally, I think we should draft a Marlin Jackson like player, who can play corner and safety, and move him around as necessary. We need an amazingly skilled defensive player who can move around and make plays, like an Ed Reed.

I conclude by saying that we exceeded expectations, and will continue to grow. The question is whether or not our leadership will step up next year - both on the field and on the sidelines.
    You will probably get all of your wishes EXCEPT for the first one...we are "stuck" with Tice for another year...and personally, I think that he will show marked improvement over this year..plus the improved defense (I am counting on that happening) will make him look alot smarter. Remember, in Cleveland, Belichick pretty much looked like a fool...and he certainly didn't win many games as a result. Next year...Super Bowl bound!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

nice post man...i couldnt have said it better. As for the feature back..I think it should be Onterrio..and I also think we should trade Bennett for some defense. We definitely do need a new coach. Some of our woes are the players' fault, but you are absolutely right that coaching can make up for a great amount of talent. Also, a team takes after the attitude of its coach. Winfield and Smoot would be a great tandem...and it will help our defense te be able to let the dogs loose more often.

I am actually looking forward to this offseason because we have so much promise. I would feel a lot better about accomplishing our offseason goals if we got a new owner, however.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

HarrisonB57 is offline Starter

"Kleinsasser40" wrote:
    I agree with most of that. We DO NOT need a new coach though, what we do need is to keep the same coaching staff for at least 2 years. We hire/fire them year by year, players are going in and out of playing style with each of them. Keep them, and let the players learn the system!!!!!!!
    I agree totally. I think that was why our defense was so confused this year. Look at the patriots. They have had virtually the same players with the same coaches for years. Now they are playing some of the best football I have seen. They are the smartest team in football

As for the rest of our offseason moves, Get chris liweinski out of here. There must be an upgrade over him. Watching the games this year, he has, by far, played the worse of all our lineman this year.

And we must get some linebackers. I have never seen so many guys so wide open on just about every play. The are expoliting the gaps our linebackers are leaving. I think this could have been solved this year if we had signed Jeramiah Trotter. I'd like to ask Red if now he would trade $1 million(the amount jeramiah got paid this year) for a super bowl. I hope he learns from this mistake and signs trotter, ed hartwell, or trade for a former pro bowler like dat nugyen(who is in a situation where the tuna wants a bigger LB).
    Live by the Slacker Rule. No Hurries, No Worries.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: A suggestion for offseason moves

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Fire Mike Tice
    I think Tice is here to stay at least another year. But after reaching the divisional round of the playoffs, expectations next year will be a Super Bowl run. They were this year of course, but next year even more so.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Choose a feature back
    Question is, who? I'm leaning toward Smith but Bennett has done well these last few weeks and both will improve with the return of the Sauce next year. I know we need a feature back, I just worry about picking the right one. Of course with Moe and Mewelde in the fold our running game will not suffer much.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Re-sign Jermaine Wiggins
    Agreed 100%, we need this guy back.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Sign Fred Smoot
    Last I heard Smoot and the Redskins disagree strongly on his value. The Skins of course only have so much money to spend and there is one coach there who thinks they can get by without him. Smoot wants to play there again badly but says he won't hesitate to test the market if need be.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Well I do agree we could use a solid free agent LB, but keep in mind it's likely Red will only allow one big free agent signing. So I have a feeling it would either be Smoot or an LB. Julian Peterson is the name that keeps coming up, but I am not so sure anymore that he won't resign with San Fran. He will be a key player in their effort to rebuild and I think they will try and keep him. He wants to stay there anyway.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    This could be the biggest offseason priority. Like I said in another post it was ridiculous that neither of our safeties had no competition the entire season. We need to draft one early, and possibly another in the mid or late rounds.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

How about gid rid of this:

[size=24px]=[/size]

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

I would also like to add that we desperately need to fix the kicking game. This has gone on long enough. No more second rate kickers who miss PATs, no more applause when a kick goes into the end zone...we need to address this before next year.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

A kicker would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Some azzkickers (on D) would be even nicer!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast