drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler

The stupidity of "We got behind and had to throw the ball.."

So Around the League Live was discussing why Cam Newton was so much better recently, and Kurt Warner made the point that the Panthers were getting behind early, and there fore could not use a balanced attack on offense...and Cam needed balance. Now, I'm not disagreeing with the "the got behind early" part of the equation; I'm completely disagreeing that if you are down by 2 or even 3 TDs in the first half, you have to abandon the run game.

The teams that have come back when down by 20 points all seemed to start the process the same way: a grind of a drive, taking their time, and taking control of the game, and thus, the momentum. They score the TD, and that control inspires the defense into stopping the other team, and one more balanced drive later, the games is a TD away from going one way or the other.

And yet, we see time and time again teams give up a TD, lose a tournover and get scored on again, and then give up completely on anything but the pass. The results are extremely predictable. Hell, WE did it with Freeman, and he knew FIVE pass plays!!

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating, he knew 3. But the point is, to control the game, you control the momentum, NOT go one dimensional. There isn't a defense in the NFL who doesn't HOPE that the opposing team makes it that easy for them.

Thoughts?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    We weren't even behind by more than 3 until the middle of third quarter and then we never more than two scores out of the game, yet we completely abandoned the run. It made no sense.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Goes right back to poor coaching. These guys panic when they get behind. Peterson should always be part of the plan, no matter what. Why give up on the all-time best runner for a qb who is having the worst game imaginable? It has to be a balance- if the defense knows what you're doing it won't work. Is Peterson incapable of catching a pass? Just get him the ball.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

The stupidity of "We got behind and had to throw the ball.."

For me it depends on the personnel involved. The top rated passing teams can go one dimensional because of the talent they have to make plays regardless of what the defence do. When we abandon the run the players aren't good enough to get the job done.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Just read where Adrian is 15 yards ahead of last year and has 2 more carries. Forgot how slow he started last year coming off his knee injury.

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    Clearly what we are seeing is the adjustments to the game plan our brain wizard OC is making. Instead of Run, Run, Pass, Punt, we have completely revamped our style to Pass, Pass, Run, Punt. I expect by week 12 we will see another monumentous shift in game management. Run, Pass, Run, Punt. Stay tuned.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    If you look at the play by play it makes more sense. Give me 10 down and distances where they should have ran instead of pass. Watch Minnesota Vikings vs. New York Giants [10/21/2013] - NFL.com

Sure they could run on first down a little more, but when you get to 2nd and 3rd and long you have to pass. If Freeman completes a few more short passes, Peterson gets more chances to run on 2nd and 3rd down(or if Peterson makes more of his 1st down rushes).

In the first half Peterson had 8 carries for 9 yards. Freeman had 17 attempts.

By their first possession of the 4th quarter they were already down 16, which makes it tough to pound the ball. Freeman threw the ball 23 times in the 4th quarter.

It's all made even more difficult because the defense is daring you to throw every play.

The coaches are far from blameless, but the players need to execute better.

Bill_89 is offline Waterboy
    I feared this would happen for AD. It was going to be hard to live up to last season, and setting the bar at 2,500 didn't help.

I love AD as a player and would like nothing more than to see him succeed. I'm sure we were all giddy when he took the rock 80 yards on the first play of the season. It looked like he and this team were going to build on last year's foundation.

This season has sucked, obviously. And what hurts the most is that AD himself has not played all that well (partially due to injury). Yes, defenses are focused in on him and the blocking has been crap, but that didn't stop him last year. It seems like either defenses have figured him out or he's simply not playing with the same edge.

You can't stick with the running game when you're getting stuffed constantly. Forget the home runs. Where is the consistent pick-ups on first down to get the offense into second and third and manageable?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post
    This season has sucked, obviously. Yes, defenses are focused in on him and the blocking has been crap, but that didn't stop him last year. It seems like either defenses have figured him out or he's simply not playing with the same edge.

You can't stick with the running game when you're getting stuffed constantly. Forget the home runs. Where is the consistent pick-ups on first down to get the offense into second and third and manageable?
    Defenses have figured him out. It happened last year in the playoff game last year & I said then that teams would copy that and we'd see him gain a lot less yards this season. Teams used to try & all converge on him & make gang tackles on him, which then opened up a lot of vacated lanes for him to go to. Now they stay disciplined & in their lanes. If they get him at or behind the line, he goes down quite easily.

Last week fans were beeyatching at Musgrave for not giving him a ton of more carries. Thing is they were repeatedly stuffing him with 9 men in the box & he was only averaging 2 yards per carry. Had Musgrave continually pounded the ball, those same fans would have been beeyatching at how inept Musgrave was for not calling more pass plays when the Giants only had 2 men in the backfield.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Goes right back to poor coaching. These guys panic when they get behind. Peterson should always be part of the plan, no matter what. Why give up on the all-time best runner for a qb who is having the worst game imaginable? It has to be a balance- if the defense knows what you're doing it won't work. Is Peterson incapable of catching a pass? Just get him the ball.

AD's splits for this year....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"