singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Studwell gets a thumbs up

Posted on Sat, Apr. 22, 2006

[size=18px]Studwell gets a thumbs up[/size]

Director of college scouting impresses bosses

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and vice president of player personnel Fran Foley have reserved comment on the future of the team's scouts until after the NFL draft.

But director of college scouting Scott Studwell's job appears to be safe.

"Scott is a good evaluator of talent," Foley said. "I honestly believe that, and I've always believed that. I value his opinion a great deal."

Said Wilf: "He's built a great reputation, and we're very confident that he'll continue to be a strong asset for us in the future."

Because he was hired in late January from the San Diego Chargers, Foley said he has had to trust Studwell's preparation for this draft.

"We've only worked together for a couple of months," Foley said. "Most of the college evaluations start in May (2005), so there's only so much change that can be done on Feb. 1. So from Feb. 1 until now, I've observed, I've tweaked, I've recommended... . and some things they do I really like. So I've been more of a hands-off observer."

Studwell played for the Vikings for 14 seasons. He just completed his 13th year in the team's personnel department. A ninth-round pick in 1977, Studwell has built a solid reputation league-wide for his scouting.

A candidate for the vice president of player personnel position, Studwell has been mostly mum since Foley came aboard. But the two appear to work well together, with Foley trusting Studwell to lead the team's draft preparation.

"This year, he will lead, because a lot of these coaches and myself, there's no way we could know all (the rookies). There's no way," Foley said. "There's only so much we can do."

The dozen or so scouts have contracts that expire at the end of May.

"I wouldn't count out change. But I don't think you're going to see major change," Wilf said. "To get Fran in charge of our scouts, that was our major change that we needed. After the draft, we'll evaluate our entire scouting staff."

With long-tenured scouts Paul Wiggin and Frank Gilliam officially consultants, the Vikings have 10 full-time scouts, including Studwell and pro personnel coordinator Jeff Robinson. The Vikings have a couple of scouts fewer than most teams.

Wilf spent freely during free agency and allowed coach Brad Childress to build a deep coaching staff.

Asked if he would be open to adding more scouts, Wilf said: "I've always been open to suggestions by my professionals to make our team better."

Foley clarifies bio: Although he is deep into helping lead the Vikings' draft preparations, Foley proactively addressed inaccuracies in his biography.

After a report Monday in the Minneapolis-based Star Tribune said Foley inaccurately characterized his college playing career, Foley acknowledged Friday there were other issues that were corrected.

"We are working to correct those, once and for all," Foley said. "I take full responsibility for any embarrassment that I may have caused. I'm continuing to put my full energy into this draft, and I consider this matter closed."

Asked about the resume discrepancies, Wilf said, "We evaluated Fran, the person, and we feel very confident that he's the right man for our team."

The Star Tribune reported that Foley's bio said he played tackle at Framingham State College in Boston from 1980-83, but a school spokeswoman said Foley's name appeared on the roster only in 1980 and 1981.

Foley told the Star Tribune he was injured in 1982 and was a volunteer assistant at Worchester (Mass.) Academy in 1983.

Although he wouldn't identify the changes, the Vikings' Web site Friday night showcased the differences. For instance, the updated bio said Foley got his start "assisting the staff at Colgate in 1984 before moving on to stints at The Citadel in 1985 and Rutgers in 1986 in similar roles."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Studwell gets a thumbs up

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Studwell gets a thumbs up

I'm glad Studwell is not being squeezed out, he has done an admirable job, especially with College FA's that Tice was so fond of.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Good to hear that the Stud will be with us (hopefully) for the long haul.. He has done a tremendous job for the Vikings, and I would hate to see him go somewhere else and make their team better.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not to be too pessimistic but usually that is just the kind of talk you hear when someone is going to be cut loose. I hope not because Studwell is one of my favorite Vikings ever.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Studwell has been, pun intended, a stud. Hopefully he stays with us for a long time.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    Studwell has been, pun intended, a stud. Hopefully he stays with us for a long time.
    a stud, did u ever see him play? that goes beyond being a stud

Toro is offline Rookie

I hope Studwell sticks around. I think he has done a pretty good job. It's smart that he stays, especially with the allegations that Foley may be puffing up his resume! :razz:
    "This is a kick-ass offense" - BC