singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Stuck in the middle: Vikes line no small matter

From the Bostonherald.com;

[size=13pt]Stuck in the middle: Vikes line no small matter[/size]

By John Tomase
    Boston Herald Sports Writer

Saturday, October 28, 2006 - Updated: 01:45 AM EST

FOXBORO - Ask a Patriots offensive lineman about blocking Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams, and they respond with a name that puts Monday night’s challenge in perspective.

“He’s a Richard Seymour type,” said Patriots center Dan Koppen. “He can take over a game and dominate.”

Having to deal with one Seymour type is bad enough, but Williams isn’t alone. He’s joined in the interior of the Vikings’ 4-3 defense by fellow tackle Pat Williams (no relation), a run stuffer supreme who’s intimately familiar with the Patriots after spending the first seven years of his career in Buffalo.

Together they have anchored the league’s No. 1 rushing defense, holding opponents to just over 70 yards a game. They’ve yet to allow an opposing back to crack 75 yards. Earlier this month they held Detroit’s Thomas Jones to just 8 yards on 10 carries.

They will be the Patriots’ biggest offensive challenge come Monday.

“They’re just two great inside players,” Koppen said. “Kevin’s really an all-around phenomenal player. He has power, athletic ability. He can really take over a game if he wants to or you let him.

“Then Pat we have tremendous respect for after all those years in Buffalo. He looks like he’s on top of his game right now. With those two guys inside, that’s a lot to deal with in there.”

Kevin Williams (6-foot-5, 311 pounds) arrived from Oklahoma State with the ninth pick in the first round of the 2003 draft, four spots ahead of Patriots standout Ty Warren. He has been a beast ever since, recording 30 sacks in just over three years and four in five games this year.

“He’s a real athletic player, a guy that could play probably for us and most teams,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. “I saw him more as a 3-4 end than a nose, but I think he can play inside as he does for them.

“He plays on his feet. You don’t see Kevin on the ground very much. He’s athletic. He has good balance and good playing strength and he’s quick.”

Warren was part of a rush on defensive linemen in the ’03 draft, going 13th overall as one of 11 defensive linemen selected in the first round. He got to know Williams at predraft workouts and the rookie symposium, and has kept tabs on his former college rival ever since.

“I’ve followed his career,” Warren said. “I got to know him when we were playing pretty much every year while I was at (Texas) A&M and he was Oklahoma State. He started college as a defensive end, then he grew into defensive tackle. I knew he was a good player then and he’s even better now.”

A lot of what the Vikings do is exploiting double teams on either Williams, which leave someone else free. Pat Williams (6-3, 317) was upgraded from questionable to probable yesterday with a foot injury.

“Once you start double teaming guys, now you’re turning someone loose,” Belichick said. “You can’t double anybody for very long without giving up someone else. They’re only standing two yards behind the line of scrimmage. Somebody has to block them, too. So yeah, it’s a problem. It’s a problem to block Pat Williams. It’s a problem to block Kevin Williams.”

It’s a problem that will belong to the Patriots Monday. Rookie right tackle Ryan O’Callaghan took Koppen’s comparison one step further.

“There’s a lot of Seymour in both of them,” he said. “They get off the ball like Sam Adams. They’re just big, powerful guys. (Kevin Williams) in the three technique is one of the best we’ve seen. You don’t see him take any plays off. He’s always going and he’s always in the backfield. It’s not going to be easy.”

[email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Stuck in the middle: Vikes line no small matter

Good read!
    Williams Duo is going to creat some Havoc Monday Night! 8)

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Earlier this month they held Detroit’s Thomas Jones to just 8 yards on 10 carries.
    I thought Thomas Jones was a Bear, and Kevin Jones was a Lion...

Am I going crazy? Or is it a misprint?

Probably both...
    :P
    -Sno

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    Earlier this month they held Detroit’s Thomas Jones to just 8 yards on 10 carries.
    I thought Thomas Jones was a Bear, and Kevin Jones was a Lion...

Am I going crazy? Or is it a misprint?

Probably both...
    :P
    You are not crazy. Thomas Jones is a Bear, and Kevin Jones is a Lion.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Good to see that even the Patriots are concerned abour our defense..

Hoorah!!!!!

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

The pats are a very good team but i hope with the help of the home crowd we can pull this one out.Although i would mind a blow out either ;D