Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Stuck with Koren

Posted on Sun, Sep. 03, 2006

[size=13pt]Stuck with Koren[/size]

BY CHARLEY WALTERS
    Pioneer Press

SUNDAY SUPER SHOOTER WITH CHARLEY WALTERS

It appears that a 13-year-old Huron, S.D., boy who mowed lawns to save $55 to buy a Koren Robinson Vikings jersey from a Mall of America store, then wanted to exchange it for another player's jersey after the former Vikings wide receiver was arrested last month, is stuck with the jersey.

Jeff Duffy, the father of seventh-grader Jarren Duffy, said the Vikings Locker Room store at Mall of America told him Saturday that because the jersey had been worn (once to a Vikings game) and the sale tag removed, it would not exchange it for that of another player. Duffy has the sale receipt.

A Vikings Locker Room manager refused comment when contacted Saturday by the Pioneer Press. The manager said the store is not owned by the Vikings and is independent of the NFL team.

"I went to buy his (Robinson's) jersey because he used to be my favorite player," Jarren, a wide receiver at Huron Middle School, said Saturday.

Jarren and his father were in Minneapolis to attend two Twins games and the Vikings-Raiders game. Jarren bought the jersey Aug. 12; Robinson was arrested Aug. 15 and charged with drunken driving and fleeing police. That is when Jarren decided to try to exchange his No. 81 Robinson jersey.

"I wanted a player who doesn't get into trouble and stuff like that," he said.

What Jarren would like now, he said, probably is a jersey of fellow South Dakotan Chad Greenway, the Vikings' first-round draft pick who has been lost for his rookie season because of a knee injury.

The Vikings Locker Room's refusal to exchange the Robinson jersey has resulted in a handful of offers nationally and internationally from people wanting to buy Jarren another jersey.

But, his father said Saturday, "I told all the people who offered that I can't justify them spending their hard-earned money on us. Fifty-five dollars doesn't break our budget. We don't want our money back, just a different jersey."

So now Jeff and Jarren are considering covering Robinson's name on the back of the jersey with white adhesive tape and replacing the name with that of whomever wears No. 81 this season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Stuck with Koren

Poor kid.. All he wants is another jersey.. I could see if he wanted his money back, but a different jersey is totally different.. He should have pulled the material apart and said it had a flaw in the material.. He then probably would have been given a different jersey.. At that time, he could have asked for a different player who is still on the team..

No people, I don't have experience in this.. Just thought it through before I posted..

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

This is one reason why it pays to customize your own jersey to your own name.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

thats unfortunate.. not something that i would have brought to the press lol.. considering it happened to probably thousands of people, but still sucks

the dad seems like an upstanding guy, since he made his kid earn the jersey and because he turned down the offers, but bringing it to national attention is kind of stupid, imo.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

How is this even a story?
    I don't think there is a fan of any team who doesn't own a jersey of a player who is no longer on the team.
    Hell, I own three jerseys including a #11 now nameless, and a #84 also nameless.

The kid and his parents obviously haven't learned their lesson, now he wants a Greenway jersey.
    Is he going to cry if Greenway gets traded next year, or never plays again.

Tough sh*t kid.
    Suck it up and buy another jersey.

P.S.
    To all those suckers who offered to buy him a new jersey, if you still wish to buy a total stranger a new jersey, I could always use a few.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"so-cal" wrote:
    I don't think there is a fan of any team who doesn't own a jersey of a player who is no longer on the team.
    Hell, I own three jerseys including a #11 now nameless, and a #84 also nameless.

The kid and his parents obviously haven't learned their lesson, now he wants a Greenway jersey.

Tough sh*t kid.

P.S.
    To all those suckers who offered to buy him a new jersey, if you still wish to buy a total stranger a new jersey, I could always use a few.

Have a little compassion for the little guy.. I understand the fact that this shouldn't even be a story, but he is just upset that he payed $55.00 for a jersey of a guy that is not a very good role model for younger football players..

I too have a couple jersey's of players that are no longer on the team.. I wouldn't myself ask for a new jersey, but it does make you mad when they leave soon after getting the jersey.. $55.00 to you and I may not be alot of money, but to a little kid that had to work hard for it, that is alot..

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"so-cal" wrote:

Tough sh*t kid.

P.S.
    Well, although I think your post is a tad bit insensitive, I basically agree with you. I have #11 and #84 as well, and I'm not whining for my money back That's what you get when you buy a jersey, you run the risk of that player not being with the team anymore.

This should be a lesson for the kid: Life sucks. Deal with it.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"so-cal" wrote:

Tough sh*t kid.

P.S.
    Take it easy dude!

The kid worked hard to Koren's jersey and now he doesnt play for them

Chill OUT!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Too bad!
    You bought it, your stuck with it!
    I cannot stand when parents do this crap just for people to feel sorry for their kids.
    If the kid wanted a jeresy of a player that stayed out of trouble is dad should have payed attention to the NFL for the last four years and noticed this guy has done some not so good stuff in the past.
    This is not walmart where everything is returnable, if you take the tag off, its yours for good.
    I stand by the store, i cannot stand people who use their kids to get free stuff or get the dumb general public to call out a store to change POLICY for one person.

If this kid deserves a new jersey, then anyone who bought a koren jersey should get a refund.
    I cannot stop shaking my head in discuss over this dad who even attempted to make a story out of this.
    He is the same type of parent that blamed the MN zoo for their kids reaching over to touch an animal then getting bit and refusing to administer the rabie shots so the zoo had to kill the entire family of what ever animal it was.
    What is wrong with this country when this crap makes news.
    If the dad wants a new jersey, he can buy it.
    You republican whore!

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Look, I can understand that the kid worked hard for his jersey but sh*t happens.
    The store has a policy about returns or exchanges and it doesn't include roster changes.
    Maybe I was wrong to attack this kid, my disgust should be directed at the parents for taking this to the press.
    Great lesson to teach their son, "If you don't like something, cry about it until you get your way."

I stand by my statement.
    Life sucks, deal with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast