Posted on Tue, Dec. 05, 2006

Vikings' offense, special teams criticized

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Still time to make fixes, Childress says

As Yogi Berra said, 'It ain't over 'till it's over.'
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah...put TJ in and let us see what he can do!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

First off, me and Darren Sharper just decided that we were going to do what's asked of us and be where we're supposed to be," he said. "Stop trying to make plays and being out of position. That forced Grossman to pump the ball a lot because he didn't think we were going to be where we were. Hopefully, we'll continue to do this and see what happens."

Asked if he and Sharper had been freelancing in an effort to make plays, Smith said: "Early in the season, teams were hitting little things so we started leaning towards those little things. We just weren't playing complete technique football, and now we're trying to get back to it.

I like both of these guys but I don't know about these statements and how to take them.
    They just decided to play how they wanted and not listen to the coaches and what schemes they wanted input?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"whackthepack" wrote:
    First off, me and Darren Sharper just decided that we were going to do what's asked of us and be where we're supposed to be," he said. "Stop trying to make plays and being out of position. That forced Grossman to pump the ball a lot because he didn't think we were going to be where we were. Hopefully, we'll continue to do this and see what happens."

Asked if he and Sharper had been freelancing in an effort to make plays, Smith said: "Early in the season, teams were hitting little things so we started leaning towards those little things. We just weren't playing complete technique football, and now we're trying to get back to it.

I like both of these guys but I don't know about these statements and how to take them.
    They just decided to play how they wanted and not listen to the coaches and what schemes they wanted input?
    Well Sharper and Smith are both pretty good and intelligent players, so I imagine they get a lot of freedom when it comes to how they play

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:

Sharper has always made his living taking chances.

This is what I was talking about earlier this year on that play where the WR took it to the house right before the half. Our Safties are not playing well.

That being said Cover 2 allows the saftey some freedom and about the only thing I can think is they are getting sucked in too shallow in order to make a play on a run. In other words they are not defending their respective sides of the field. They have a lot of ground to cover, if they get sucked in then it is over.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Playoff Race

Seed Team Record
    1 Chicago
    10-2 (NFC North champ)
    2 New Orleans
    8-4 (NFC South leader)
    3 Seattle
    8-4 (NFC West leader)
    4 Dallas
    8-4 (NFC East leader)
    5 N.Y. Giants
    6-6
    6 Philadelphia
    6-6
    7 Atlanta
    6-6
    8 Carolina
    6-6
    9 San Francisco
    5-7
    10 Minnesota
    5-7
    11 St. Louis
    5-7
    12 Green Bay
    4-8
    13 Washington
    4-8
    14 Arizona
    3-9
    15 Tampa Bay
    3-9
    16 Detroit
    2-10
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Del" wrote:
    Sharper has always made his living taking chances.

This is what I was talking about earlier this year on that play where the WR took it to the house right before the half. Our Safties are not playing well.

That being said Cover 2 allows the saftey some freedom and about the only thing I can think is they are getting sucked in too shallow in order to make a play on a run. In other words they are not defending their respective sides of the field. They have a lot of ground to cover, if they get sucked in then it is over.
    the difference being that Sharper makes the plays that allow him an element of freelancing. Smoot on the other hand doesn't have the groundwork in that allows him to freelance at all.
    Unfortunately doing things like this can set a bad influence on the younger defensive players
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

This season has already been "defined".These last four games are BC's chance to salvage a little something for next year. I wish he could get away from the corporate speak stuff. I hear enough of that junk every day.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"x-ray" wrote:
    This season has already been "defined".These last four games are BC's chance to salvage a little something for next year. I wish he could get away from the corporate speak stuff. I hear enough of that junk every day.
    Yes, he does a good job of not really saying anything when he speaks.
    A lot of other coaches do as well, and don't know that I blame them, its just hard to get anything worthwhile out of their statements.