Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Still-raw Jackson is adjusting quicker to NFL than expected

[size=18px]Still-raw Jackson is adjusting quicker to NFL than expected[/size]
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/608153.html
    MANKATO - As practice heated up Thursday morning, Vikings coach Brad Childress called the second-team offense onto the field for a 2-minute drill. Running back Mewelde Moore reported for duty, along with receiver Billy McMullen, a few other veterans ...and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

Yes, that was Jackson, the supposedly raw second-round pick, working with veteran backups and appearing to hold his own in a pressure-packed drill. Twice moving the second-teamers down the field, he demonstrated more poise than had been expected from a player with a Division I-AA background -- turning a few heads and afterwards drawing a few questions.

Namely, would the Vikings consider a scenario in which Jackson could compete with veteran Mike McMahon for the No. 2 quarterback job?

"It just depends on how hard he pushes and how much he can do," Childress said, drawing to mind a well-known line from the movie "Dumb and Dumber." Told the odds were a million-to-one that a beautiful woman would accept his overtures, Jim Carrey dreamily responded, "So you're telling me there's a chance?"

Even after Jackson produced two relatively smooth weeks of camp, while McMahon demonstrated a level of inconsistency, the odds still stack heavily against Jackson ascending the depth chart this summer. But if early camp indications hold true, Jackson might not represent the long-term project he once appeared to be.

Thursday, Childress termed Jackson's camp performance "above average" and said he was eager to see how Jackson will react to game-like pressure in the pocket. Most notably, Childress said Jackson has not appeared overwhelmed by his immersion into a professional-level offense.

"That's the thing that he's probably done the best with," Childress said. "A lot of times when you're thinking, it doesn't let your God-given athletic skills come out. I haven't seen that. I haven't seen him slow down in what he can do physically because he's strapped with what we're asking him to do mentally."

Childress often rotates players between the second and third teams, and there appeared to be little justification for reading into Jackson's work with the No. 2 offense. McMahon, in fact, returned to his normal role when the Vikings began the "live" tackling portion of practice.

Quiet and exceedingly polite, Jackson does not appear consumed by competing for the backup job. He admitted to some confusion in deciphering blitz packages -- "Sometimes I get caught up in thinking too much about the coverages," he said -- but he hopes to accelerate his learning curve in Monday night's preseason opener against Oakland.

"It's a preseason game," Jackson said, "but for me it's like a regular-season game. That's how I'm taking it. I'll try to go out there and do as I was coached. ... I've studied and I feel like the coaches have done a great job breaking things down for me. But I'm not at the point yet where I'm just playing, where it comes second-nature to me like it does for Brad [Johnson] and the other guys.

"Hopefully I'll get there, and when I do, I think I'll be pretty good."

As the preseason develops, Childress suggested he might rest one quarterback -- possibly Johnson -- for a game so that the others can see extended time. Childress, meanwhile, pointed out the inherent fallacy in judging backup quarterbacks without recognizing they often are practicing with other backups.

"You do have to be careful," Childress said. "You can't say enough if that guy can take those snaps with all No. 1 wideouts, offensive line, running backs. A lot of times the picture is different. Do most people afford that guy the opportunity to do that? No. You're remiss if you judge that third quarterback behind the third offensive line with the third running back and the third receivers because in some instances he'll be running for his life."

Whether he has worked with the third or second team, Jackson has appeared more comfortable in each practice.

"I feel like I'm learning more every day," he said. "I'm trying to be more aggressive in the offense with every rep I get. Wherever I am, I'll try to get the ball to the right place at the right time on every play."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Re: Still-raw Jackson is adjusting quicker to NFL than expected

Great to see he is moving along this fast. I hope he can be the starter a year early.
    You republican whore!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

From the reports that I have read and seen it sounds like McMahon is not having a good camp, I am worried having him as our number 2! I like the fact that Jackson is learning quick and looks great in camp, but I am not sure if I want to have him as the number 2 QB this season.

I know I am going to get a lot of heat for this but Kerry Collins is still available, and I wouldn't mind if the Vikes brought him in as the backup QB! It would just be more insurance if Bard goes down in week 16 and we have to go into the playoffs with a rookie or McMahon as the QB, I would rather have Collins in that situation and I think he would give us a better chance than either Jackson or McMahon at this point.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Still-raw Jackson is adjusting quicker to NFL than expec

"whackthepack" wrote:
    From the reports that I have read and seen it sounds like McMahon is not having a good camp, I am worried having him as our number 2! I like the fact that Jackson is learning quick and looks great in camp, but I am not sure if I want to have him as the number 2 QB this season.

I know I am going to get a lot of heat for this but Kerry Collins is still available, and I wouldn't mind if the Vikes brought him in as the backup QB! It would just be more insurance if Bard goes down in week 16 and we have to go into the playoffs with a rookie or McMahon as the QB, I would rather have Collins in that situation and I think he would give us a better chance than either Jackson or McMahon at this point.
    From another post in the Tribune:
    The crop of free-agent veterans also is barren, headlined by Kerry Collins, who isn't suited for the West Coast offense.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I seriously hope they wouldn't go after Collins, I think that would be my last choice.

Prophet Guest

"It just depends on how hard he pushes and how much he can do (T. Jackson)," Childress said, drawing to mind a well-known line from the movie "Dumb and Dumber." Told the odds were a million-to-one that a beautiful woman would accept his overtures, Jim Carrey dreamily responded, "So you're telling me there's a chance?"
    :lol:, go Tarvaris...there is a chance.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

From another post in the Tribune:
    The crop of free-agent veterans also is barren, headlined by Kerry Collins, who isn't suited for the West Coast offense.

If Michael Vick can switch to a WCO so could Collins, and I think when he was with the Giants there offense was similar enough that I don't think it would be that big of a change.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Jackson is going to move pass, McMahon. You seen him last season after McNabb went done. Just terrible
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

If Brad goes down, I wouldn't be suprised to see T-Jak pull a Drew Brees and kick some serious tail.
    -Sno

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:

You may catch heat for that comment, but it won't be from me.. I 100% agree with you on your statement.. I think getting Kerry Collins and letting both JT O'Sullivan, and Mike McMahon go would be the best interest of the team.. Collins is a proven starter in the NFL, and it would be no different then us going out and signing BJ before last season to be DC's backup..

Collins has much more experience then both Sullivan, and McMahon put together.. I would much rather have Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins, and Tarvaris Jackson as our QB's the Johnson, Sullivan, McMahon, and Jackson.. If they are using their heads, they are looking at that possibility..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast