Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Still don't think a stadium brings in money?

Still don't think that a publicly funded stadium can make enough of an economic impact to warrent a tax?

Check out the history page of the Fargodome, a publicly funded stadium in Fargo that in ten years brought in over $460 million in direct and secondary economic impact. That is more than 20 times what it cost to build the Fargodome.

I realize that the Vikings are looking for a lot more public money for their stadium than it took to build the Fargodome, but there is also a much larger population base in Anoka County, and the potential for economic impact is much greater.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Still don't think a stadium brings in money?

Good find!

Yes, I think that you could have done a similar study with the Metrodome to find out it has made the community a lot of money too.

The situation is this, tell the people in ND (Fargo) that you are going to publicly fund a Baseball stadium and also a new Dome stadium for the people at UND which will make the FargoDome obsolete for bringing money into the community. Also tell the people of Fargo they will be paying taxes to support the building of the dome in Grand Forks.

That is a little closer to what people are thinking than just, "a new stadium won't generate money."

I am for the stadium, but then again, I won't be paying for it.

That is pretty amazing that just a college, a few concerts and some tractor pulls can generate that kind of money.

Once again, the article and the stats were a good find NoDakPaul.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

When the Fargodome first opened, I was on the first wave of hires. It was the place to work. I was still in HS and was the youngest employee. Started out doing security (yawn) then trasferred out the parking. We had a blast there! We used to meet so many women.

One time we saw a group of teens going around snooping in cars and breaking antennas off. Most all the guys I worked with were current or former military. So, the one guy was was a retired Colonel in Special Forces laid out our plan to catch every single one. It worked. The kid I nabbed squng at me and I planted his face into a fender; his face was a mess.

Sorry for getting off topic a little.

The Fragodome was funded with a minimal sales tax too.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    When the Fargodome first opened, I was on the first wave of hires. It was the place to work. I was still in HS and was the youngest employee. Started out doing security (yawn) then trasferred out the parking. We had a blast there! We used to meet so many women.

One time we saw a group of teens going around snooping in cars and breaking antennas off. Most all the guys I worked with were current or former military. So, the one guy was was a retired Colonel in Special Forces laid out our plan to catch every single one. It worked. The kid I nabbed squng at me and I planted his face into a fender; his face was a mess.

Just call him...The Fender-nator! "You are Fender-nated!" :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

i know i agree with you that a stadium brings in a ton of money cause thats a fact. a new stadium in blaine would make the north side of the twin cities boom like crazy. heck there would be so much development up there if there was a stadium. hotels, restarunts, bars, man there would be so much money to make. and all it takes is a few law makers to screw it all up.

sad thing is a judge said the twins don't have to play in the metrodome after the 07 season so that pretty much means they are gone for sure.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

D4Vikes is offline Waterboy

That's just it the economic impact for that area say in 10 years would be huge. With more of a retail sprawl then just a Stadium. I think the public has to back it. More jobs, more housing, more CONSUMERS. Anyway Zigi & Clan have the money to pay for it themselves, it's going to get done.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

a stadium alone in the twin cities would bring in a lot more money than that. i woudln't put it past wilf to build his own stadium, heck he could buy a ton of land develop it how he wants and sell what he wants to sell for a lot more money. he can also rent the dome for other events too and get money for that. if i had as much money as him i'd build the dome for sure if i won powerball i'd go in on the stadium and get money paid to me every year that would be a good investment.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"D4Vikes" wrote:
    That's just it the economic impact for that area say in 10 years would be huge. With more of a retail sprawl then just a Stadium. I think the public has to back it. More jobs, more housing, more CONSUMERS. Anyway Zigi & Clan have the money to pay for it themselves, it's going to get done.
    You are right Zygi made his money in real estate and he will build it like it should be, an outdoor stadium, if the legislators keep dragging their feet.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

That's awesome Ultra! I guess little petty vandals aren't much of a match for a special ops commander, haha.

Anyways....build the damn stadium! If you build it...they will come! And pay you a shit load in the process!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

and if the city wants to host a superbowl, which is the biggest cash grabber in the world, we are going to need a new stadium.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast