Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dbalke10 is offline Training Camp

Steve Loney - Offensive Coordinator Philosophy

A native of Marshalltown, IA, Loney was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Iowa State for a total of 5 years - from '95-97 and again from '00-01. Most recently, Loney's offenses were key in Iowa State's back-to-back bowl seasons in '00-01. In 2001, the Cyclones' offense averaged 423.1 yards per game and 26.9 points per game, enough to vault them to the 2001 Mainstay Independence Bowl. The Cyclones' 2000 Insight.com Bowl unit averaged 424.4 yards per game, the third-best total in school history. Under Loney, the Cyclones' offense produced a 1,000-yard rusher and 2,000-yard passer in '00 and '01 respectively. The offensive line was solid under Loney, allowing just 7.0 sacks in '00, the 2nd- lowest sack total nationally.

From '98-99 Loney served as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at the University of Minnesota under head coach Glen Mason. In '99, the Golden Gophers finished second in the Big Ten and 11th in the nation in rushing offense. Minnesota averaged 415.4 offensive yards per game and 31.6 points per game that same year. In addition to setting 5 school offensive records in '99, Loney's offense produced All-Big Ten 1st-team rusher Thomas Hamner (1,362 yards) and 1st-team All-American center Ben Hamilton.

Prior to his time in Minnesota, Loney spent 3 seasons at Iowa State as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. From '95-96, the Cyclones offense produced the only tailback in NCAA history to rush for a pair of 2,000-yard seasons in 1996 Heisman Trophy runner-up Troy Davis. Troy's brother, Darren, followed that feat with 1,005 yards rushing in nine games in '97. Under Loney, Iowa State ranked second in the Big 12 with an average of 231.9 yards passing per game in '97. The Cyclones ranked 13th nationally in rushing in '96 and 15th in '95.

In my opinion...
    IF HE IS ALLOWED TO CALL THE PLAYS... We will run the ball. We will throw the screen pass and intermediate routes. And Mewelde Moore will be the second coming of Ricky Young. Our defense will finish in the top ten because they will only have to play 1/2 of the game instead of 3/4's like the last few years. We will be a more consistant team and will not fade in the second half of the year, because we will wear other teams down and not vice versa. BUT WILL HE GET TO CALL THE PLAYS?
    Most football teams are temperamental.That s 90% temper and 10% mental.
    --Doug Plank

Del Rio Guest

Just a bit of info I've been kicking around.........

Last year we were 28th in the league when it came to rushing attempts. We had 387 rushing attempts.

In order to become a top 10 rushing attempt team, the pound the ball run 1st pass later type you would need to run a whopping 6.25 more times a game.

I think we will notice a difference, but I think we will still pass just as much as we have in the past.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Loney has been successful that for sure...i hope he carries over that success as a rookie O coordinator for us....

speaking of success, i just got 600 posts... i have been spying my post numbers for two weeks and wondering when i'd get over that hump. cheers to me. haha.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

As long as we WIN more, I don't care who calls the plays...or whether we run or pass more! What needs to be improved, IMHO, is the game day decisions of Coach Tice...therefore, he should leave the playcalling to Loney...only interfering if Loney's selection process gets too predictable or ineffective. As far as run vs. pass, we need to do what works most against each individual opponent and what is best suited for each situation (i.e., run more when we need to shorten the game and pass more when we need to get the lead quickly). Pretty simple.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

Yeah I think "Smash mouth" football emphasizing the run is more of a frame of mind and not an actual strict gameplan. You never know you may face a team with a big fat pat williams in the lineup and wont be able to run as much.

Good teams adapt. I don't know much about Loney, but I don't think you will notice a huge difference in the way we play except at the end of the game the scores will be like Minnesota 32 Greenbay 0

NavyVik is offline Training Camp

Great info on Loney, I never knew. Thanks.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Mewelde Moore needs to be a very big part of our offense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

sabatajh is offline Rookie

another thing to mention is he has been our o-line coach a couple of years so he is familiar with the offense we have in place so its not like he is A leaning a new position as well as scheme. i doubt if he will try to change anything otherthat getting more consistente with running as well as effecient on long drives.. there atleast 3 or 4 long drives i remember we drove 80 yards had one bad play and had to settle for a field goal.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Everyone has made great points. This is why I wanted linehans head. 70% of your offense in the passing game says more than we pass alot. Does'nt that also means we played behind alot?
    Did we not get up in games only to fall behind again?
    I sure hope that "smash mouth" attitude returns.

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

I was wondering why we shyed away from the screen pass (to the RB) last season. I know we did a lot of WR screens, but I remember the RB screens to more effective. I hope that Loney incorporates the screen this season, along with a smash mouth attitude. I'm so glad we won't be utilizing the Randy Ratio. I thought that was just plain ol' stupid!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast