singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Steve Hutchinson: A touch of nasty

[size=13pt]Steve Hutchinson: A touch of nasty[/size]

Last update: September 07, 2006 – 6:02 PM

Arguably the most revealing moment of training camp went almost entirely unnoticed. One of the few people who saw it happen live was coach Brad Childress, and he couldn't wait to tell everyone about it.
    During an intense Aug. 4 practice session with Kansas City, left guard Steve Hutchinson was working against a no-name Chiefs defensive lineman in a 1-on-1 drill. The Chiefs player clubbed Hutchinson on the helmet, drawing a wild swing from Hutchinson. On the next play, Hutchinson drove the defender all the way down the line of scrimmage before drilling him into the turf.

"I just happened to be standing right next to it," Childress said. "You have to hold him back."

On a roster devoid of superstars, Hutchinson -- lured from Seattle this offseason with the richest free-agent contract ever given to a guard -- is the Vikings' most talented player. If the three-time All-Pro and Pro Bowl pick's next five years are as good as his first five, he will find himself in the Hall of Fame.

But because of the anonymous nature of his position, relatively few people -- media included -- took note of his summer dominance.

"You really are not going to appreciate Steve Hutchinson," Childress said, "until you watch him play, and finish. ... He's physical in his finishes when you're bringing people to the ground.

"He has a little nasty to him."

Hutchinson is the centerpiece of the Vikings' transition from the Dennis Green/Mike Tice Era of high-flying offense to the Childress regime that will be predicated on offensive efficiency and precision.

"[Childress] made a statement that it would be old-fashioned football," Hutchinson said. "It all starts up front."

Kevin Seifert

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

Re: Steve Hutchinson: A touch of nasty

really good article and was nice to read something about steve, altho it cost alot to get him and now with the new contract that bryant has, our line is really going to be good for sometime now and with birk, there should be some decent holes opening up for our runningbacks, glad to see that the front office is taking care of business and not losing key players..hats off to them as well
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingbill50" wrote:
    really good article and was nice to read something about steve, altho it cost alot to get him and now with the new contract that bryant has, our line is really going to be good for sometime now and with birk, there should be some decent holes opening up for our runningbacks, glad to see that the front office is taking care of business and not losing key players..hats off to them as well

I couldn't agree more with you.. It is nice to see that the Wilf's, and Childress are working together to realize who they need to sign to make this work.. McKinney is a very reliable presence on our O-Line.. With Birk coming back healthy, the signing of Hutch, and now the extension of Mckinney, our O-line will be awesome for years to come.. The great thing about it is, that they are all young..

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

yes they are young and will only get batter the more they work together, dont know too much about the right side of the line tho, need to see how that works out and hope it is almost as good
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the read Singer,

I love reading storys about linemens play and attitudes most of all, seeing thats what I played for close to 15 years of my life while growing up.
    ;D

Reading the part about Hutch riding the guy all the way down the line, then driving him into the ground, was the best part of all....I believe alot of people look at the enitial block at first and the first impact that may or may not have, but the part I loved most about blocking was the very end, esspeically when I had the guy on his heels or totaly under my controll and the opportunity to drive him hard into the ground and letting him feel the full weight of myself driving him into the ground, when his body had no more space to travel to help take the blow for himself...

This is the point where you can really put a hurting on another player, and they then realize, your there to play and play hard.....

LOVE IT

;D

PS:
    I really enjoyed the story title,
    My nickname on my high school team was.....

" NASTY NED"

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.