Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Stephen Burton, WR

Strengths: Strong build with thick arms and lower body. Comes off the line strong, presses DII corners looking for the deep route buts break off route to sideline once defender is turned. Effective on slants with enough quickness to fake outside, get inside position to shield defender. Reliable short-game receiver, catches the ball outside his frame and runs though some arm tackles with bullish running and the occasional spin move. Able to make the spectacular catch, extends hands and owns vertical to bring in high throws.

Weaknesses: Must step up his game against better competition. Does not face pressure on the line often, must learn to get off more quickly and use his hands. Drops too many catchable passes whether facing the quarterback or tracking the ball over his shoulder. Only adequate downfield speed. Runs a lot of vertical and shallow crossing routes, some from the slot. Lacks great foot quickness to create separation against NFL corners coming out of routes. Not very
    CBS
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: Stephen Burton, WR

Lets see what he can do.. 6'1 4.53 is not very impressive, but get him into camp and pass him the ball, hopefully he will catch it..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Sounds like TO's twin. Big, strong player, can box out players, catches outside his frame. Mediocre speed, drops alot of balls.

This is a prime example. Go look at the WR's that are still there. Then go look at the WR's taken when we drafted each and every round and you will see why I am so mad.

Every spot we drafted there were better players available and we passed on them.

Again, I am not hacking on the players. Not my point. I'm hacking on a staff who had the picks to target players that will/would make the roster, instead it looks like we drafted to get PS guys and Camp fodder.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095695
    This is a prime example. Go look at the WR's that are still there. Then go look at the WR's taken when we drafted each and every round and you will see why I am so mad.

Every spot we drafted there were better players available and we passed on them.

Again, I am not hacking on the players. Not my point. I'm hacking on a staff who had the picks to target players that will/would make the roster, instead it looks like we drafted to get PS guys and Camp fodder.

Really?? According to whom?

You really shouldn't throw statements out there like you are the end all say all knowledge on NFL talent.

Last time I checked, you were one of the one's preaching waiting three years before judging a draft...oh yeah, that was under Childress, now that he is gone the rules have changed and patience and consistency have been thrown out the window.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095692
    Sounds like TO's twin. Big, strong player, can box out players, catches outside his frame. Mediocre speed, drops alot of balls.
    lol...now maybe we can teach him how to undermine his QB and destroy the team, then we will have a TO clone

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Chazz" #1095705
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095692
    lol...now maybe we can teach him how to undermine his QB and destroy the team, then we will have a TO clone
    SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by "Chazz" #1095704
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095695

Really?? According to whom?

You really shouldn't throw statements out there like you are the end all say all knowledge on NFL talent.

Last time I checked, you were one of the one's preaching waiting three years before judging a draft...oh yeah, that was under Childress, now that he is gone the rules have changed and patience and consistency have been thrown out the window.
    First, its a discussion site were fans get to say what they want.

Second, I was miffed. I apologize for probaby over reacting a bit late yesterday. I have since calmed a bit.

Here is some additional stuff on this cat:
    (By the way, there were better WR's on the board all through the draft.)

Round 7, Pick 33 (236) (Compensatory Selection) Stephen Burton WR 6'1" 221
    "Biography: ""Junior college transfer who started the past two seasons. Senior receiving totals included 70/1021/11, when he also averaged 23.1 yards on 10 kick returns. Junior numbers were 62/888/2 receiving.""

Positives: ""Nice-sized underneath receiver with reliable hands. Has good quickness, sells routes, and is sharp into breaks, getting separation from defenders. Nicely adjusts to the errant throw and displays strong hands as well as eye/hand coordination. Looks the pass in, easily makes the reception in stride, and quickly transitions from making the catch to running after the reception. Shows toughness and a willingness to go over the middle and make the difficult reception in a crowd. Finds the open seam in the defense and shows some elusiveness running after the catch.""

Negatives: Does an adequate job blocking but really does not show a killer mentality for a big receiver. Unnecessarily lets the ball get inside him at times. Leaves his feet for no reason to make the reception.
    Lacks a burst and deep speed. Benefited from a four-receiver passing offense at West Texas A&M.

Analysis: Burton is a solid prospect with enough skill to make it as a fourth receiver in either a West Coast offense or a system that asks him to run underneath routes.

Projection: 5th"

Pick Analysis: Can't blame the Vikings trying to find weapons for Christian Ponder. In Burton, they get a guy with potential but who needs to work hard to hone his craft as a receiver.

Burton has the size and tools to potentially contribute as a fourth or fifth receiver at the next level.

Prospect Rank: 237

Burton, because of is size and speed, has a realistic chance to win a job as a 5th WR with the Vikings
    In the end, I might not be an expert and you might not always agree with what I say, but in the end, it really doesn't matter. Its just my opinion. That and a $1.50 will get you a Beast at happy hour.

(By the way, there were better WR's on the board all through the draft. with the thought in mind that they could be looking for a replacement for Rice, most of these would have been a better option than Burton IMHO.)

Little, Greg 6'3" 220 Pick 27, Round 2*(59) Browns 7.2
    Hankerson, Leonard 6'2" 209 Pick 15, Round 3*(79) Redskins 6.7
    Pettis, Austin 6'3" 209 Pick 14, Round 3*(78) Rams 5.1
    Doss, Tandon 6'2" 201 Pick 26, Round 4*(123) Ravens 7.1
    Shorts, Cecil 6'0" 205 Pick 17, Round 4*(114) Jaguars 4.9
    Paul, Niles 6'1" 224 Pick 24, Round 5*(155) Redskins 5.4
    Burton, Stephen 6'1" 221 Pick 33, Round 7*(236) Vikings 2.9