Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Are you kidding me? He delivered a quick hard pass to Jennings which gave Jennings time to make a move on the defender. If Ponder throws that pass it's late or floated and the defender has time to recover or make a play. That's a huge difference. All the yards after catch today were in large part due to Cassel and his quick decisive passing. Yeah he had some errant passes early, but he was rusty, and just needed to settle down. After starting 4/11 he finished 12/14. He just looks so much more like a pro QB than Ponder. It's really night and day even though the stats don't show it.
    Exactly.

People think that YAC is ONLY the receiver, but it takes a good throw to hit a receiver in stride in a spot where he can make a play. If the throw is slow, lobbed or just late, Jennings is tackled for a 6 yard gain. Cassel made a great play getting hte right guy and the ball was in a location timed exactly right so he could make a play. Jennigns did a good job making the first guy miss, but Cassel's throw was on the money. Great team effort, Cassel deserves credit just as much as Jennings.

Cassel by no means played fantastic football, but it was enough. With our run game, do this every week and I'm a happy man. THis is 4000 yard, 32 TD football over a season. That would be a great throwing season.

I compare Cassel taking over for Ponder to Frerotte taking over for TJ. You lose the speed, but you get more experience, and a better arm. A guy who is willing to pull the trigger and confident enough he'll make the throw. I expect interceptions to happen, same as happened with Frerotte, but I also expect the TDs and yards to improve as well.

*edit*
    That second TD to Jennings was a think of beauty. 20+ yard pass through the air on a rope. Pumped when Jennings fakes his corner, freezes the safety and hits Jennings high where only he can touch it.
    Last edited by i_bleed_purple; 09-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    We squeaked out a game against a 0-3 now 0-4 team. Basically got lucky at the end that we didn't end up in OT. I will feel better about this team when we actually go out and just beat somebody instead of the ball falling our way in the end. If Plodder comes back as QB I will puke.

WWBGD

purpledoom is offline Starter
    I suspect you can chock some of Cassell's passing errs up to rust just as Phil Simms said. He did look more confident than Ponder ever has. I can't help but believe that if they actually start him again he will get better. Big big if.

LIVike is offline Starter
    From the first pass it was clear that Cassel is the better qb which surprised me. Just how quick he was releasing the ball was nice along with the velocity he had. I didn't think his arm was that strong. Also a nice thing to see was that on the first drive the Steelers d was playing very lose to the line, after the first drive their linebackers and safeties started to move back which allowed ad to run loose. Having felton back was huge as well. Simpson is also making the front office almost look smart for resigning him. Another thing I noticed was that the play call for the most part looked a lot better. Maybe musgrave isnt as bad as we thought and it was just ponder hand cuffing him.

Defense in the first half was good. It seemed like every play someone was in the back field. Allen had a nice game too. Second half defense looked not as good. There was not as much pressure from the line but they did get the stop when it was needed. Bishop needs to play a lot more.

The quote of the game was by far when Simms in response to a play by rhodes said "Why aren't you starting him?" then something along the lines of "They like to bring their rookies in slow" Sad but true.
    None

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Cassel looked like the better QB at this point, but it's only one game for him so far. I would not jump too quickly. He outplayed Ponder in several aspects of the game but we still ended up in exactly the same situation we were in each of the previous two weeks. This time we manged not to blow the lead, thanks to Griffen, but we were on the verge of losing this one too.

So don't be so quick to lay it all on Cassel. He did the job, but that's all we can say right now.
    We sill nearly blew a 17 point lead.

For my money, this proves that our entire philosophy of the game is flawed. We are built to get ahead and play with the lead, but it is becoming more and more apparent that we can't.

I would still wait until season's end before contemplating a coaching change, but it really seems to be the only way we will get any better at this point. Come season's end, if we haven't shown significant improvement in all facets, then I say that it is time for Mr. Nice Guy and his staff to hit the bricks.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

VikeCane305 is offline Rookie
    Josh Robinson is awful isn't he? You'd think with all of that speed he'd be a great CB for us. Guy just looks lost out there.
    "AKA" PURPLEPOWERPUNCH

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Cassel looked like the better QB at this point, but it's only one game for him so far. I would not jump too quickly. He outplayed Ponder in several aspects of the game but we still ended up in exactly the same situation we were in each of the previous two weeks. This time we manged not to blow the lead, thanks to Griffen, but we were on the verge of losing this one too.

So don't be so quick to lay it all on Cassel. He did the job, but that's all we can say right now.
    We sill nearly blew a 17 point lead.

For my money, this proves that our entire philosophy of the game is flawed. We are built to get ahead and play with the lead, but it is becoming more and more apparent that we can't.

I would still wait until season's end before contemplating a coaching change, but it really seems to be the only way we will get any better at this point. Come season's end, if we haven't shown significant improvement in all facets, then I say that it is time for Mr. Nice Guy and his staff to hit the bricks.
    1. We were also playing a better team.
    2. We were down 3 starters in the defensive backfield.

Chose the eyeball test or the stats test. In both test Cassell wins. He isn't as bad a Qb as people thinks and I have been screaming this. He is a 25td - 14int - 3500 yard Qb and that is all we need.

acman1 is offline Rookie
    John Carlson had an above average game.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by acman1 View Post
    John Carlson had an above average game.
    He's stepping his game up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    He's stepping his game up.
    1 catch for 4 yards. Man I smell a Pro Bowl for sure!
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast