Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

A Steckeler For Shaping Up

[size=12pt]A Steckeler For Shaping Up[/size]
    New coach Les Steckel has brought Marine methodology to Minnesota
    Franz Lidz
    September 03, 1984

On an isolated redoubt of the Minnesota Vikings ' practice field, linemen attack a column of tackling dummies. With footballs whizzing by like artillery rounds, Les Steckel barks orders through his bullhorn: "Hold the line, men.... Come on, coaches, man your battle stations.... The practice is secure." Steckel , Minnesota 's new leatherneck and leather-lunged coach, has spent the last six weeks getting his players into fighting trim.

At 38, he's the youngest coach in the NFL . A Marine officer in Vietnam in '69-70, he's now a lieutenant colonel in the Reserves. He came to training camp looking for a few good men. Proud men. Men with the guts of John Wayne who could hold their own in a rice paddy or backed up against their own goal line. "A DI team," he says. That's Discipline and Integrity...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: A Steckeler For Shaping Up

This guy sounds even better than Childress.
    SIGN HIM!
    ;D

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

And of course we know what a great season he had!
    LOL
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

...Steckel, who was a running back for the Quantico Marines in '70 and '71, explained the new football order to his troops three months before the Vikes' first minicamp. "Everyone came here expecting the Bataan death march," says tight end Bob Bruer. "But, really, it was almost bearable."

Camp opened with the punishing Ironman, perhaps the toughest training regimen west of Parris Island . Participation was mandatory, completion optional. Nose tackle Charlie Johnson , himself a Vietnam vet, dreaded it more than basic training. "The night before, I felt like a pancake," he says. "I was tossing and turning all night."

The test included 40-yard dashes, 20-foot rope climbs, vertical leaps, bench presses, sit-ups, agility runs, 300-yard shuttle runs, power curls and leg presses of twice a player's weight. Steckel offered $30,000 in prizes to the winners at various positions. "We were doing the monkey bars across the river when Coach told us alligators were below," says Ted Brown, who finished third among running backs and won a $100 gift certificate. "We believed him, too."

The body count was high: Some players failed to finish, some pulled up lame, still others collapsed. "I got shot two years ago," says Brown. "That might have been a little tougher."...
    Coach Marrdro would prefer a tougher camp than this.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Prophet" wrote:
    ...Steckel, who was a running back for the Quantico Marines in '70 and '71, explained the new football order to his troops three months before the Vikes' first minicamp. "Everyone came here expecting the Bataan death march," says tight end Bob Bruer. "But, really, it was almost bearable."

Camp opened with the punishing Ironman, perhaps the toughest training regimen west of Parris Island . Participation was mandatory, completion optional. Nose tackle Charlie Johnson , himself a Vietnam vet, dreaded it more than basic training. "The night before, I felt like a pancake," he says. "I was tossing and turning all night."

The test included 40-yard dashes, 20-foot rope climbs, vertical leaps, bench presses, sit-ups, agility runs, 300-yard shuttle runs, power curls and leg presses of twice a player's weight. Steckel offered $30,000 in prizes to the winners at various positions. "We were doing the monkey bars across the river when Coach told us alligators were below," says Ted Brown, who finished third among running backs and won a $100 gift certificate. "We believed him, too."

The body count was high: Some players failed to finish, some pulled up lame, still others collapsed. "I got shot two years ago," says Brown. "That might have been a little tougher."...

LOL.
    Nice find my firend.
    Not sure if I would want them resorting to ole Les's approach, however, a bit more sure would've made me happy.

LOL, Les cracked me up by the way.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...Marrdro, who was an asskisser in the Navy for many years, explained the new football order to his troops three months before the Vikes' first minicamp. "Everyone came here expecting the Bataan death march," says tight end Jim Kleinsasser. "But, really, it was almost bearable."

Camp opened with the punishing Ironman, perhaps the toughest training regimen west of Parris Island . Participation was mandatory, completion optional. Nose tackle Leger Douzable, himself a crappy college vet, dreaded it more than panty raids at the local whorehouse. "The night before, I felt like a pancake," he says. "I was tossing and turning all night."

The test included 40-yard dashes, 20-foot rope climbs, vertical leaps, bench presses, sit-ups, agility runs, 300-yard shuttle runs, power curls and leg presses of twice a player's weight. Marrdro offered $30,000 in prizes to the winners at various positions. "We were doing the monkey bars across the river when Coach told us alligators were below," says Maurice Hicks, who finished third among running backs and won a $100 gift certificate. "We believed him, too."

The body count was high: Some players failed to finish, some pulled up lame, still others collapsed. "I got propositioned by Childress two years ago," says Purple Jesus. "That might have been a little tougher."...

LOL.
    Nice find my firend.
    Not sure if I would want them resorting to ole Les's approach, however, a bit more sure would've made me happy.

;D
    I changed the text to be more fitting to the situation.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...Marrdro, who was an asskisser in the Navy for many years, explained the new football order to his troops three months before the Vikes' first minicamp. "Everyone came here expecting the Bataan death march," says tight end Jim Kleinsasser. "But, really, it was almost bearable."

Camp opened with the punishing Ironman, perhaps the toughest training regimen west of Parris Island . Participation was mandatory, completion optional. Nose tackle Leger Douzable, himself a crappy college vet, dreaded it more than panty raids at the local whorehouse. "The night before, I felt like a pancake," he says. "I was tossing and turning all night."

The test included 40-yard dashes, 20-foot rope climbs, vertical leaps, bench presses, sit-ups, agility runs, 300-yard shuttle runs, power curls and leg presses of twice a player's weight. Marrdro offered $30,000 in prizes to the winners at various positions. "We were doing the monkey bars across the river when Coach told us alligators were below," says Maurice Hicks, who finished third among running backs and won a $100 gift certificate. "We believed him, too."

The body count was high: Some players failed to finish, some pulled up lame, still others collapsed. "I got shot propositioned by Childress two years ago," says Purple Jesus. "That might have been a little tougher."...

LOL.
    Nice find my firend.

;D
    I changed the text to be more fitting to the situation.
    I never even noticed. I went straight to the article.
    Again, you seem to have brought your "A" game to the table today.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    And of course we know what a great season he had!
    LOL
    Wait.
    He only had one season.
    That's bunk.
    I don't care how much talent he had on the field..
    He never really had a real chance.
    C'mon, he had a tough act to follow.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(