Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Stay or Go! An interesting comparison!

Today the Pioneer Press had this story in the paper. I thought it wqas an interesting read and you may enjoy reading it.

[size=18px]STAY OR GO?[/size]

With Vikings coach Mike Tice's contract expiring next month, here are four reasons why he should stay and four why he should go:

[size=18px]STAY[/size]
    ize
    • After a rocky first season (6-10 record), the Vikings have contended for the division title each of the past three years.

• Tice was handcuffed in selecting his coaching staff by former owner Red McCombs. Things improved after he added veteran coaches Foge Fazio and Jerry Rhome.

• After the boat scandal and a 2-5 start, Tice led an impressive turnaround that included six consecutive wins, to get the Vikings back into contention.

• Along with Rob Brzezinski, Scott Studwell and Paul Wiggin, Tice has overseen a steady improvement in the quality of the roster, and he should have a chance to see that development through.

[size=18px]GO[/size]

• The Vikings have failed at the end of each season to win key games against struggling teams to enhance their playoff standing or chances.

• As the head coach, Tice didn't ensure the changes and tweaks necessary to make the team better.

• The Vikings beat only one credible team this season, the New York Giants, and they made NFL history with touchdowns on kickoff, punt and interception returns.

• Despite an upgraded roster, Tice has mustered only one playoff appearance in four seasons and a 31-32 record.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Re: Stay or Go! An interesting comparison!

Thanks for posting that. One of the reasons I have been on this site for a few years, is getting information like that. Not much of that in the papers in Utah.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

GO!!!

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

If someone better available, I say go! By someone available I mean a coach with a winning background and proven they can turn teams around. Who, like that, is truly available? If Tice stays, one more year to win division and or make playoffs with a spectacular run at a championship. Nothing less than making it to the championship game win or lose to keep his job after next year.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

thats the really bad thing...I was in Rochester this weekened and everyone was talking about getting rid of tice and C-pep. I was so surprised. I just kept asking who the hell would we replace Tice with. Sure its one thing to want him gone but you need to be able to replace him with another quality coach and I dont think there will be many around this offense. I see no point in bringing in some coordinator or college coach that has no experience and then have to put up with 3 years of him "learning" his job.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The only way that he goes is if someone WAY better comes along...I don't want to replace Tice with someone who got fired somewhere else because he was a LOSER! I do agree that Tice should get at least ONE year where he has alot more resources available to him (read: a budget to hire the amount and higher quality of coaches to field a properly prepared team each week). If Wilf decides to keep him, he should sign him to a two-year contract, but keep him on a short leash (i.e., if he sucks next year, then he has no excuses, so Wilf can can him but only lose out on paying him for the one extra year). This will allow Tice to hire coaches that won't be worried that they will be gone after one year. Tice may still surprise us once he has time to focus on being a Head Coach instead of having to put out fires on all fronts...for all our sakes, I certainly hope so if he stays!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think Tice was put in an unfair position because of Red' cheap ass ways. With that said, I think he's made some stupid coaching decisions during games that could also play a factor in his future. Whatever happens in this instance, I support Zygi.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

The problem with bringing someone else in, is that regardless of the roster, we will be highly unlikely to make the playoffs in the first year under a new coach, I don't care who it is. Tice has this team close, with Birk and Smith back next year, we should actually have a running game. Culpepper, I'm sure, learned a lot from Johnson this year about not forcing things and just taking what the defense gives you, I think he's going to return to pro bowl form. The defense now has a year together we just need to make sure to keep everyone on that side of the ball. I think Tice will be alright next year and will at least get us into the playoffs.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

wow that really puts it out there clearly. He HAS to GO! With all the talent on this team for years to only muster up one wildcard appereance is just sad. We need a new Head Coach, point blank.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I hate to say it but go.But only if we hire a really good and respected replacement.I still like Fisher.
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast