Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    derek is offline Waterboy

Status of Winfield?

i havent yet seen all of the preseason games yet (was out of town working, then the hurricane hit and we just got power back, so i'm going to be watching the last three preseason games this week before the regular season starts)

i heard he got hurt in one of the preseason games, not sure which though. How serious was it/ is it? He wont miss any regular season time will he? (he's one of my favorite players to watch on the field (along with Percy Harvin) because, even though 'Toine is a short in stature dude (relative to the other giants on the field) he STILL always manages to crush those bigger cats using his power, technique, angles and just plain WILL. (with me being a short in stature dude too i kinda appreciate him representing us on the field

so what's up with my boy, is he ok or what?

Overall, we still have some depth concern at spots and some areas that need to be payed attention too, but i am really enjoying the Leslie Frazier reign so far. I like the overall atmosphere he's created & expectations he has set. i like the coaches he has put in place, i actually really like ALL 3 of our QBs in this offense . While prettymuch everyone predicts us still bringing up the bottom of our division this year again, i actually think we have a chance of being a sneaky quiet steady-building SURPRISE to some folks this year. It will be tough, no doubt, but regardless, i really like the direction of the purple ship is heading....

lets GO VIKES!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Status of Winfield?

Don't worry, he'll be fine & will play.

Winfield injury provides for scare, but itís not serious

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128539273.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I don't see him getting alot of reps at LCB.

My guess they will continue to bring him in off the bench for Nickle and Dime coverages, with him in the slot were he can do what he does best, tackle.

That does several things....

a. He is a liability in pass coverage. Puts a better pass defender on the field.

b. Lets him take reps off so he can stay healthy all year.

c. Lets coach Pagac use him to his strenght, which is on the inside were he is better suited for short zone coverages/run/blitz support.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1107676

My guess they will continue to bring him in off the bench for Nickle and Dime coverages, with him in the slot were he can do what he does best, tackle.

a. He is a liability in pass coverage. Puts a better pass defender on the field.

c. Lets coach Pagac use him to his strenght, which is on the inside were he is better suited for short zone coverages/run/blitz support.
    Hate to say this but you make it sound like he will be a poor man's Woodson.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1107689

LOL, no way my friend. Whinny is still a pretty good player especially in a Cover 2 scheme.

I just think he best suited on the inside mostly for the reasons above, but if the staff is gonna use their CB's a bit more agressively this year, Cook is better suited out there with Griff on the other side.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This also has been proven wrong. Winfield isn't an asomugha or revis, but yes not as much a lability s you like to claim. He was our best pass defender past season, and while he doesn't get a ton of picks, he quietly does his job. Problem is he occasionally gets beat over the top since he's lost some speed. Nickel would be best for him, not because he can't hang with the big digs, but because it gets him in position do do what he does best. You can bet though if Griffin isn't cutting itor cook doesn't get it done, Winfield absolutely will be back on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1107692

This also has been proven wrong. Winfield isn't an asomugha or revis, but yes not as much a lability s you like to claim. He was our best pass defender past season, and while he doesn't get a ton of picks, he quietly does his job. Problem is he occasionally gets beat over the top since he's lost some speed. Nickel would be best for him, not because he can't hang with the big digs, but because it gets him in position do do what he does best. You can bet though if Griffin isn't cutting itor cook doesn't get it done, Winfield absolutely will be back on the outside.
    You know I'm not referring to picks. Not a measure of success based on our scheme, atleast not in my book.

My issue with him is contained in your discussion points and not because of speed. Its because he tends to bite up on the run alot more as he loves to support it.

That little flaw, that we see sometimes, increases the ability for WR's to find a hole (Hand off zone) between the CB and S.

On a side note, it was easy to be the best pass defender with a bunch of backups on the field. Again, based on my assumption of how the staff is going to use our CB's, he isn't the best pass defender on the field anymore. Griff and Cook will be.

Again, my opinion. Not a "Proven right or wrong" thing my friend. Just a thing to be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1107691

LOL, no way my friend. Whinny is still a pretty good player especially in a Cover 2 scheme.

I just think he best suited on the inside mostly for the reasons above, but if the staff is gonna use their CB's a bit more agressively this year, Cook is better suited out there with Griff on the other side.
    Ah..That is exactly how the pukers use Woodson. He is usually lined up over the slot so he can blitz. He is still a pretty good cover guy but they use him way differently than the average CB.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1107692

I don't like Cook for some reason. This preseason I think the person that looked like he could be a starter either at the end of this year or next year is Burton. He is where is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. I like him way better than Cook who sometimes get burned. Allen is not very good eihter which is why I think he (Burton) leapfrogs those two at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1107706
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1107691

Ah..That is exactly how the pukers use Woodson. He is usually lined up over the slot so he can blitz. He is still a pretty good cover guy but they use him way differently than the average CB.
    I'm with you my friend, but I refuse to compare a Vikings player with anything PUKER.....You should know that. :laugh:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast