Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Again, comparing a kid who's been in the league a few years and expecting him to carry a crap QB to a seasoned vet, one of the top C's in the league, and a very smart player is quite a stretch.

There is absolutely NO evidence to support the idea that Sullivan can do that. Am I saying he's a moron? No, but he LOOKED ok with Favre making the calls, and crap elsewhere. Smart guy? Sure, but again, no reason to think he's a guy you can lean on like Mangold is.
    And there will never be evidence until they do it.

LIke it or not (and I'm begging to think you don't like it as you've pushed back on Ponder since we got him) Ponder and Sully will be playing together for a long time to come.

Might as well get the ball rolling unless of course your happy watching our QB one hop balls to WR's all day long.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    I don't think the comparison is physical ability. The comparison is the ability to recognize defensive sets and pressure. Sully may lack size and strength, but he is an intelligent football player.

To nitpick that statement is losing sight of Marty's line of thinking which is let Ponder play. We brought McNabb in because he should be able win games with double digit leads. He has not been getting it done. McNabb is our new TJack/Childress take your pick. We won in spite of him, not because of him.
    It wasn't a comparison. Any time you mention two players our good friend bleed automatically assumes you are comparing them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post

Sometimes I've gotta wonder....

Comparing Mangold to Sully.. that's good. Reminds me of the "We have Hank Baskett" Comment.

Keep this coming!
    How in the hell do you get a Sully vs Mangold comparison. My discussion point doesn't compare them, it just says one makes the calls for his QB and offers up Sully helping ours in that manner.

I could just as easily said let Hutch make the line calls for Ponder like Mangold does for Sanchez and the point would still be the same. Sanchez doesn't make his own line calls so a QB like Ponder could get help and not have to worry about one of the hardest aspects of the game for that position.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Who cares about AD's quarter by quarter production? He ended up with 122 yards and 3 TDs... This is like the arguments stating that "if you took away his longest run, his average would be terrible". Totally irrelevant. If his end production is awesome, then who the hell cares how he does it?
    Excellent post my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    Winfield not playing is a blessing and a curse. I love him in run support but he has been beaten a couple times this season on short 10 yard crossing routes. Both times he dove for the receivers feet and whiffed.
    Agree. I love watching that little dude but a helmet on a number, but I also cringe everytime he runs with a TE, RB or WR in those crossing routes, especially this year. Almost every time Griff or Cook is the one who winds up making the play/tackle.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Excellent post my friend.
    Gotta disagree with you and mullet on this one. Yes his game looks good, but stats don't tell the whole story. If AP has a 80 yard run for a TD on the first play of the game and the rest of the game he has 29 carries for 40 yards did he have a good game? No, not imo, but he finished with a 4 average and a TD. The stats look good, but I would much rather have a game where AP can consistently get yards throughout the whole game.

No one is taking away from his performance, but is he not up for criticism? We need 2nd half production from all our players and until we get it everyone, EVERYONE, is up for criticism.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Gotta disagree with you and mullet on this one. Yes his game looks good, but stats don't tell the whole story. If AP has a 80 yard run for a TD on the first play of the game and the rest of the game he has 29 carries for 40 yards did he have a good game? No, not imo, but he finished with a 4 average and a TD. The stats look good, but I would much rather have a game where AP can consistently get yards throughout the whole game.

No one is taking away from his performance, but is he not up for criticism? We need 2nd half production from all our players and until we get it everyone, EVERYONE, is up for criticism.
    I don't think your disagreeing with us on that point. I think we will both agree with you that that is how it is supposed to happen.

Problem is that Dnabb isn't holding up his end of the bargain. I keep referring to the swing pass out to Percy. Everyone bit on AD and Percy at the line leaving Percy wide open in the flats with lots of room to run.

Dnabb makes that play and AD's production would go up, instead defenses are daring them to make those plays, all the while crashing down on AD. Doesn't matter how good the OL is or how great AD is. His numbers will go down, again, until they are made to respect even those short little dumboffs.

On a side note, I do like how Musgrove is trying to help in that area. Two weeks ago we saw several end arounds by Percy (stretching the outside) and this week we saw a new wrinkle with a double reverse. Problem is, that won't work all the time. Dnabb has to start making the simplest of throws for this offense to click.

My guess is that Ponder could do a better job dinking and dunking than Dnabb has been.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Might as well get the ball rolling unless of course your happy watching our QB one hop balls to WR's all day long.
    He doesn't hop the balls, he skips them.

Thus the name Skipper McNabb.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Was a corner turned? Yes and no.

Yes, in the fact that that team believes it can win, and will have a bit more upbeat atmosphere around them again. Losing sucks, and it places a drain on individuals and teams.

No, in the fact that we are no better than we were in the previous losses. It's not like we came out and looked drastically better. I did see some improvements, and I have been seeing some minor improvements each game this year.

McNabb still hurts us. He needs to complete a pass. I don't even care about the deep ones right now, because our line still struggles, but for god's sake when you have time, and a open receiver, throw it to them.

So, this team picked up a win, and I am happy for that. Winning builds confidence. Maybe we can go into Chicago and steal one away from them.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I don't think your disagreeing with us on that point. I think we will both agree with you that that is how it is supposed to happen.

Problem is that Dnabb isn't holding up his end of the bargain. I keep referring to the swing pass out to Percy. Everyone bit on AD and Percy at the line leaving Percy wide open in the flats with lots of room to run.

Dnabb makes that play and AD's production would go up, instead defenses are daring them to make those plays, all the while crashing down on AD. Doesn't matter how good the OL is or how great AD is. His numbers will go down, again, until they are made to respect even those short little dumboffs.
    You're starting to see some of it and are actually agreeing with us rather than before when you thought it was an excellent post that it didn't matter what the fuck AD does in the last 3 quarters of a game, even if it's shit, as long as his 1st quarter stats make up for a nice looking total. That kind of thinking loses you 4 games.

By you're own admission, you stated defenses are crashing down on AD in the second half making his numbers go down regardless of how well the OL played. Again that average was a pitiful 2.2 yards average.

So why then would we even think about giving him the ball a shitload of more times in the second half, when that is the result? Doesn't make sense, but that is what fans are clamoring for.

I don't think it's just because McNabb is sucking in the second half. Pretty sure he's sucking in both halves.

If we want to see AD's numbers go up in the 2nd half, there's only 1 way to do it.

No, it's not giving it to him more.

No, it's not dinking & dunking passes into the area of the field where the box is already stacked by defenders.

It's by stretching the field wide and/or deep & actually hitting the receivers enough times until teams start respecting the pass. McNabb is incapable of doing that. We need someone who can.

Once we achieve that, I still don't condone giving it to AD a lot more. The passing & running attack needs to be balanced enough so we keep defenders spread thin.
    Last edited by singersp; 10-12-2011 at 07:46 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567