Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Looking at the emotions of the team, and the benching of Berrian and Cedric, and other things surrounding this game including AP taking the lead emotionally with the O instead of McNabb....

Did we turn a corner as a team today?

Or is this a result of playing a powder puff team like we did today?
    That's almost like saying the defense had a great game cause Whinny wasn't holding them back........

We won because the DL did their job and got pressure on the QB.

Not much really changed from what I could see other than maybe one could say that Musgrove didn't call a lame game.

Dnabb still missed wide open receivers deep (just like Berrian and I have been saying), the OL played a damn fine game, just like they have been all year etc etc etc.

Nothing to see here that supports your contention.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    A little of both. McNabb won't get us there, and that's been realized. Berrian is a drain...and that's been realized. Peterson hates to lose...and he's put everyone on notice about that.

But we won today on Defense, not really on Offense. Sure, Peterson punched in 3 of the 4, but we started in great position...and did squat the rest of the game.

So I think it's far too early to say we've turned a corner...we have Chicago, Green Bay and Carolina coming up. Let's see how we respond to them...

Caine
    BB isn't a drain on anyone but the fans who want to blame the losses on him and they yutz coaching staff who want to stick with Dnabb.

Each and every week Dnabb has missed wide open receivers deep and when I say deep I am saying that he didn't even throw it to them but rather elected to throw into double or triple coverage.

He did it again twice yesterday that I could see (Percy and Shanc) and I'm sure I will see another if I get to watch the re-air.

Other than a miss FG by Shortwell and Dnabb one hopping passes to moving receivers (I told you guys to watch how many he hit standing still vs moving) the rest of the team played a pretty good game and we won, as you said, cause the Defense put them in situations that could almost not be screwed up.

On a side note, that is what our defense should look like each and every week. Lets hope our DL has finally got their heads out of their asses and play like that the rest of the year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Cedric was benched first series as disciplinary action.
    Good thing it was for only one series as he had one hell of a game, as did the whole secondary. Amazing how good they really look when the DL is actually forcing QB's to make dumb mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That's the way I saw it, but would include the 22 yard punt return to the Cardinals 18 by Sherels, which set up the first Vikings TD.

Contrary to some peoples belief, the fact that AD got more touches today in the 2nd half wasn't a factor in the win. We were up 28-0 after his first 9 runs.

AD was 9/59 (6.5ypc) after his 3rd TD run. at the half he was 13/86 (6.6ypc)

In the second half he was 16/36 (2.2ypc) which is much worse than his already 3.0YPC season avg in the second half, proving once again that giving AD the rock in the 2nd half isn't ineffective in sustaining drives.

Giving it to him more in the 2nd half is just giving us more of the same, if not worse, ineffectiveness.
    Wow, good way to use stats but completely miss the mark.

You do realize that in the second half the defense knew that AD was going to be the focus (finally) so they could gamble a bit more when it comes to stopping him, so of course his numbers were going to go down.

Did he break long runs? No, but did we move the chains and keep the clock moving, thus limiting the number of tries they would have to come yet....YES....

And that is what is important and yes, even effective.

On a side note, it would be nice to see the QB also do alot better than he did. That would really go along ways into getting towards that "Effectiveness" that I think your looking for. Don't think that is gonna happen especially when you see Dnabb one hop it to a receiver that is 10 yards away from him and wide open (throw to Percy in the flats).

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You're right about the punt return...I left that off.

But I disagree about Peterson. Giving him the ball more kept the clock moving....something a McNabb incompletion wouldn't do. Therefore, even though from a scoring/yardage point of view Petersons touches in the 2nd half weren't as effective, they gave Arizona less time to get their act together and come back and beat us.

Caine
    Bingo.......Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Cook has been doing well

As for Berrian and Aromashodu aren't they both x receivers and Jenkins and Camarillo are more the z with Harvin if Harvin isn't in the y and we don't use multiple TE's and a FB.....where's Marty

But Berrian did seem to be in his best spot today for the team on the inactive
    Someone has been listening......

What people missed in the win today was the whole issue related to the Cards defense. They were ripe for the picking when it came to deep throws off of the play action. We couldn't exploit that today because we couldn't because we didn't have WR's that could go deep on both sides of the field without Berrian.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Berrian fan, but our issue isn't the receivers, it the QB. Both Percy and Shanc were wide open deep and Dnabb didn't even see them or elected not to throw to them, just as Berrian pointed out in his articles/tweets.

Go back, look at each post game thread, I pointed out missed receivers deep each and every week (except last week, I was working in the closet and couldn't post).

Regardless of what our good friend Singer says, our issues have always been no pressure on the QB and poor play by the QB from a player perspective and some terrible play calling by our O-coord.

2 of 3 of those weren't an issue yesterday and could even be resolved, but one still was and probably can't be resolved unless they make a change.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Good thing it was for only one series as he had one hell of a game, as did the whole secondary. Amazing how good they really look when the DL is actually forcing QB's to make dumb mistakes.
    Anyone can look good when someone else does all of the hard work for you. Still too many dropped INT's that could have turned this into a blowout and still too many plays given up in the second half that would have made the game too close for comfort if the Dline hadn't been so dominant in the first quarter.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Wow, good way to use stats but completely miss the mark.

You do realize that in the second half the defense knew that AD was going to be the focus (finally) so they could gamble a bit more when it comes to stopping him, so of course his numbers were going to go down.

Did he break long runs? No, but did we move the chains and keep the clock moving, thus limiting the number of tries they would have to come yet....YES....

And that is what is important and yes, even effective.

On a side note, it would be nice to see the QB also do alot better than he did. That would really go along ways into getting towards that "Effectiveness" that I think your looking for. Don't think that is gonna happen especially when you see Dnabb one hop it to a receiver that is 10 yards away from him and wide open (throw to Percy in the flats).
    More like spot on.

You better go back & check the play by play again my friend. How many times did we extend the drives in the 2nd half? How many were 3 & out or only one more extra set of downs? How many 1st downs did AD get in the 2nd half? What was our time of possession in the 2nd half?

Yup, teams focus on AD & limit him to render him ineffective. Yet we continue to keep trying it over & over again expecting a different result. It's been that way for 5 games now. That same mentality let 3 teams come from behind & beat us.

If not for the 4 short drives, would we have even scored TD's?

A better opponent would have probably crawled right back into this one.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Someone has been listening......

What people missed in the win today was the whole issue related to the Cards defense. They were ripe for the picking when it came to deep throws off of the play action. We couldn't exploit that today because we couldn't because we didn't have WR's that could go deep on both sides of the field without Berrian.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Berrian fan, but our issue isn't the receivers, it the QB. Both Percy and Shanc were wide open deep and Dnabb didn't even see them or elected not to throw to them, just as Berrian pointed out in his articles/tweets.

Go back, look at each post game thread, I pointed out missed receivers deep each and every week (except last week, I was working in the closet and couldn't post).

Regardless of what our good friend Singer says, our issues have always been no pressure on the QB and poor play by the QB from a player perspective and some terrible play calling by our O-coord.

2 of 3 of those weren't an issue yesterday and could even be resolved, but one still was and probably can't be resolved unless they make a change.
    Heck, I even saw where Aaron Rodgers missed a few guys wide open and deep last night. The difference being they capitalized on enough other plays to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Berrian and Aromashodu are both "X" receivers, which is why I said to replace Berrian with Aromashodu.
    And when they needed two X type receivers they had to move either Percy or Jenkins out there which then left no one to work the intermediate stuff effectively.

Again, the Cards defensive weakness when it came to passing was to run matching 7, 8 or 9 routes on both sides of the field off of play action. Without Berrian we coudn't do that.

Course I doubt Dnabb could have hit them anyways. Cat can only throw a ball to a receiver that ins't in motion. Damn near every reception (for the 3rd week I've watched for it) was to a receiver who ran to a spot and stopped in the whole. Only a couple were to recivers that were actually in motion and those weren't thrown to well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast