Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SheyD11285 is offline Rookie

The State of the Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings appear ready to leap forward or regress to teams reminescent of the Spergen Wynn led Vikings. When Mike Tice was fired a transition began. An entirely new coaching staff was assembled and the entire image of the Vikings changed. The change was positive until Culpepper was thrown into the mix or rather thrown out. The oh so great "west coast" offense was added. The change seemed to be leaning toward "Super Bowl winner" Brad Johnson (37) not Daunte. The new regime immediatly announced Culpepper as starter, but within a matter of weeks trade rumors began to circulate as Culpepper missed a meeting with his new coach. He was angry about the Viking's refusal to re-negotiate his contract. Rumors now have him being traded for a second round pick. If this trade happens the Vikings will take a major set back. The search for a franchise QB, an impossible task for most teams will remind fans of the days when Denny Green would attempt to hire any player with a year left in them. There was no consistency or job security. Ironically Brad Johnson (37) was essentially traded for Culpepper after Brad (37) was injured. This injury should not allow us to give away a Franchise QB who a year ago was second in MVP voting. The second major problem was the statement from Childress that the "running back by commitee" might return. The Vikings without a QB and without a stud RB would ensure no playoffs for at least two years. The superbowl was in our grasp before the Randy Moss trade. Everyone saw it in the near future for Minnesota, now we're ready to "burn the ships." We need a stud RB Coach Childress and I will not be satisfied with less. The line needs work and the defense will need to adjust to a new, although better, system again. The Vikings need to maintain at least some continuity in order to maintain any of the positive production of recent years. We need to either literally burn the ships or move forward with what we have. It needs to be 100% either way. We have 20 mil this offseason and now is the time to act. We need D and Wilf will bring it, but this offense can't be sacrificed. I want our Tarkenton and my Purple People Eaters too. This team cannot regress! Common sense be with you Minnesota!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The State of the Minnesota Vikings

I agree. I hear that San Diego will let Brees test the FA. If his shoulder proves to be healthy, I say lets get Drew Brees. Especially if the rumors are true, and the Vikes are shopping Culpepper..

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Well written, I agree with much of what you wrote. However, Childress is inheriting a much better team than Tice. If the Vikings are able to improve the offensive line & linebacking corps, the Vikes are close to contending in the NFC. I firmly believe the Vikings an above average RB in Memo, who will be able to stay healthy in a short passing led offense. Moore & Fason both played in a similar offenses in college and both cathc & run very well. Onterrio Smith would be a bonus if he pans out.

I don't think we will see a Clone Philly offense & Tampa defense put in by Childress. He will adapt to his players strengths & weaknesses within his philosopical parameters. Afterall, thats all the Not For Long (NFL) will give him.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome to the site Shey! Go introduce yourself in Free Beer! if you choose to.

Well written post. The state of the Vikings in my opinion is varied depending upon where you look. The ownership and coaching (now that Tice is gone and all the will he/won't he be fired BS is over) are both solid, and the defense is good but needs some small improvements. Offensively the state is so-so, and there are a lot of question marks on O-line, running back and of course quarterback.

This is a team that as you say, could regress or progress, and you're right, we cannot regress! We are a team that has not been thrown into complete turmoil, but instead a team that is being tested through change. I think with the leadership we have we're going to come out on top. SKOL!

I see goodbye Culpepper, and Brad Johnson leading us to another 25th ranked offense for 2006. Seems like Childress wants a no personality team like pre-Owens Eagles. Bo-ring.
    Its hard being a Vikings fan.

Kinda seems like we are becoming the PATS less Brady. Good point DeathtoDenny.

Good point and great avitar! Fear and Loathing is a great movie! Great offenses have personality. We need that, although I admit I would be fine with the 25th ranked offense if, like the Bucs, we were able to get a championship with it. The reason I miss Randy Moss is all the fun it was watching him. He was fun to watch. Daunte is the last true playmaking element remaining with the Vikings. It will be pretty boring without that. The West Coast offense is the dullest concept ever conceived by an NFL team. Win by not taking risks. Eh.

Man - we have been running the West coast offense since Burnsy. Remember the short passing Tommy Kramer days? Tommy sure lit it up (literally) in that offense. Denny/Tice's version was just a little more vertical to compliment Moss's skillset.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i would rather have a broke knee qb then a broke arm qb.
    We're bringing purple back.

Amen. I reallly can't believe the trade actually might happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast