Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach

Re: The State of the Franchise!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    How do you think the Vikings Franchise holds up across the entire NFL?

I think that the young and old will have a varied opinion on this, so let it rip, give your assessment.
    There are three parts to it:

1.) How you think it has stacked up in the past over the entire length?
    Compared to most teams.
    The Vikes have been consistantly to the playoffs. http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/te...5?OpenDocument Scroll and most years we have made it.
    My best friend is a Lions fan, ask him once what it's like.
    At least if you make playoffs you have a chance.

2.) How you think it has stacked in the last few years?
    We suck.
    Besides the 80's, and at the beginning, worst time of team history.
    Can't stand it.
    McCombs killed us.

3.) How it stacks up going forward with what we got now?
    Actually think we have a base for a good year next year.
    After watching the last half of the season, we could take the exact same team and probably go 11-5.
    Looking at the last two games, they have to either get a new Qb or have confidence, cause once they gave him the go to start passing we made the comebacks.
    If the other team doesn't get 9 guys outta the box, even purple Jesus can't run.
    We will make the playoff's next season.

Here is a link to my blog and some references:
    http://www.purplepride.org/blogs/snowinapril/index.cfm/SnowInApril

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"WisconsinSucks" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    How do you think the Vikings Franchise holds up across the entire NFL?
    I think that the young and old will have a varied opinion on this, so let it rip, give your assessment.
    There are three parts to it:

Compared to most teams.
    The Vikes have been consistantly to the playoffs. http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/te...5?OpenDocument Scroll and most years we have made it.
    My best friend is a Lions fan, ask him once what it's like.
    At least if you make playoffs you have a chance.

We suck.
    Besides the 80's, and at the beginning, worst time of team history.
    Can't stand it.
    McCombs killed us.

Actually think we have a base for a good year next year.
    After watching the last half of the season, we could take the exact same team and probably go 11-5.
    Looking at the last two games, they have to either get a new Qb or have confidence, cause once they gave him the go to start passing we made the comebacks.
    If the other team doesn't get 9 guys outta the box, even purple Jesus can't run.
    We will make the playoff's next season.

I had to help out a bit.

I agree with the bold.
    What I noticed by looking at the schedule was that we actually started scoring points.
    I think that is a confidence builder.
    The last game we would have put up a good point total, but we turned the ball over instead of scoring even a FG.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    So lets see. Historically. I might be flawed as one of the younger fans. But my assessment is that the Vikings is a 'historic' franchise, that stack up against the best teams in the league. What lack is just one or two superbowl victories, to pull us up among the very best.
    The last few years, we have been mediocre, searching for the future. It depends on what the last few years are.
    I believe we are heading in the right direction. Still there are a few areas that needs to be cleaned out. But the fact is, that aside of a few players, this is a very young team, and I think they can become great.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

State of the Franchise!
    The state of the franchise is Minnesota.
    :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MindFreak is offline Starter

"Prophet" wrote:
    I think the team is looking better at its foundation than it has since the SB runs.
    The Tice era was the bandaid era with no real long-term goals other than unintentionally running the team into the ground by having a mentally challenged HC that was not prepared at that point in time to run an NFL team.
    The team is well on its way to being a perennial contender (I don't feel like typing much right now).
    Yet in this mentally challanged, as you put it, coaches 2nd season he went 9-7 with really only Culpepper and Moss, where as the alleged coaching god we now have was only able to muster an 8-8 season in his 2nd season with the Rookie of the year, best ground game in the nfl, best run d in the nfl and more talent as a hole then the "mentally challanged coaches" team.
    Now tell me which coach is really the mentally challenged one?
    Rip Tice, and i rip baldy that's how this game works.

State of the Franchise, just get us a damn good receiver, get some good youth at Safety, and the progression of Jackson and we should be in good shape
    You can't be let down if you don't expect the world

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"singersp" wrote:
    State of the Franchise!
    Soon to be California.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    State of the Franchise!
    Soon to be California.

gtinker63 is offline Rookie

1.)How you think it has stacked up in the past over the entire length?
    The franchise as a whole has been pretty good.
    The teams overall record is 385-316-9 (winning percentage of 55%).
    The teams playoff record isn’t very good at 18-24 (winning percentage of 43% and the last appearance after 2004 season).
    The team’s Super Bowl record is terrible at 0-4.

If the team would have won any one of the ’69, ’73, ’74, or the ’76 Super Bowls they would be seen as a very good Franchise.
    However, that did not happen so up to this time we have been labeled as a good franchise that cannot win the big game.

Through my research I thought it was interesting that the team has played most franchises fairly close except for the New York Jets.
    We are only 1-7 against them

2.)How you think it has stacked in the last few years?
    I would say “the last few years” indicates the last 5 seasons.
    In that time period the team was pretty bad.
    The team record indicates mediocre at 40-40 during the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs.
    However, during this time the team traded away one of their biggest name in team history for next to nothing.
    The team had one of the worst off the field events occur with the “Love Boat” incident.

During and right before the last 5 seasons, the team had their worst owner (Red McCombs).
    He did nothing to improve a team that was 36-12 in his first three years of ownership.
    Red then sold away most of the key pieces of those team and cut all costs to the team.
    Then Red sold the team to Zigi Wilf and co. They came in with a very poor team in terms of coaching.
    Tice was too inexperienced to coach in the NFL and had no other top line assistance.
    Zigi was left to rebuild the team.
    That takes us too #3.

Currently the Vikings are a young team with lots of potential.
    We have the 2007 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in Peterson.
    A very young and unpolished QB in Jackson.
    A young receiving core lead by Bobby Wade and Sidney Rice.
    A defense that is dominate against the run.
    Very young and fast at the LB position.
    The pass defense could use some help both in the secondary and up front pressuring the QB.
    All in all a very good team that could make a run in the near future and should be competitive for many years to come.

One of the only bad things the team has going at this point is their where that are at with the Stadium and a future home of the Vikings.
    Everything at this point shows the Vikings to stay in Minnesota.
    Zigi is pushing legislation to build a new venue for the Vikings and the league is pushing the state.
    However, nothing has happened to believe anything will happen in the next year.
    Eventually the state, owner Wilf, or the league will have to bend or move the team.
    The Vikings are Minnesota sports.
    Minnesota needs to do everything possible to keep the Vikings in town.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

A lot of good points have been made. I won't repeat a lot of them. But I kinda laugh at the people who point to Tice having a good record. Well, if you are satisfied with a 9-7 record (his best) then he was a good coach. I'm not satisfied with that, personally.

I think this franchise lost it's way some time ago, just after the Bud Grand/Jim Finks era, when it tried the "produce a winner right now" idea. I have never seen that work but I certainly can understand the fans desire to want a winner "right now." People have no patience with anything anymore, especially their favorite sports teams. Trying to produce winners through FA has never been a solid way to build. Yes, it certainly can help in some key areas, but far to many times it doesn't. You don't hear the name Jim Finks much anymore, but he was a solid president of the Vikings who brought a lot of stability to the franchise. Now, there isn't much stability anymore. I think the Packers are going to realize the wisdom of this with their young team and I hope the Vikings will realize it under Zygi. I think they are.

I think this question is answered above. I see far to many fans clamoring to pick up this or that FA and suddenly they think we will have a Super Bowl winner. I understand their wants and especially the concerns with some of our players now at their prime and will be falling off in production in a year or two. But gosh, I always believed that you looked at that in your draft choices.

I think the Vikings are on the right track now with Zygi, and Brad. Despite the panic of "the sky is falling and we need a winner RIGHT NOW mentality, the Vikes are going to move slow and cautious. I like this tact. I thinbk we can be helped in FA, no doubt, but I certainly wouldn't go out and mortgage the farm. Build from within has always worked best. I think the Vikings are going to have that dynesty in two to three years.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"MindFreak" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I think the team is looking better at its foundation than it has since the SB runs.
    The Tice era was the bandaid era with no real long-term goals other than unintentionally running the team into the ground by having a mentally challenged HC that was not prepared at that point in time to run an NFL team.
    The team is well on its way to being a perennial contender (I don't feel like typing much right now).
    Yet in this mentally challanged, as you put it, coaches 2nd season he went 9-7 with really only Culpepper and Moss, where as the alleged coaching god we now have was only able to muster an 8-8 season in his 2nd season with the Rookie of the year, best ground game in the nfl, best run d in the nfl and more talent as a hole then the "mentally challanged coaches" team.
    Now tell me which coach is really the mentally challenged one?
    Rip Tice, and i rip baldy that's how this game works.

State of the Franchise, just get us a damn good receiver, get some good youth at Safety, and the progression of Jackson and we should be in good shape
    He also managed to blow important games consistently.
    Giving the Packers the NFCN by losing to the pathetic Cardinals.
    Making it to the playoffs on Denny's schemes and putting bandaids on the problems consistently.
    No long-term vision.
    Makes Vince Young look like Einstein.
    There were half a dozen HC openings when his contract wasn't renewed, if he's so wonderful why wasn't there a single team that gave him serious consideration?
    Because he's a moron.

That being said, he now has some more experience under his belt and might get another shot some day.
    There is no way that you will ever convince anyone that has a hint of rational thought that the best thing to do for the team when Denny walked was to keep Tice as HC without opening up the search at a national level.
    He was supposed to be an interim coach and was given the reigns.
    This drove the team into mediocrity hell that it is still recovering from.
    No vision.
    No brain.
    Pathetic 'let's hold hands' leader.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast