Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
  1. #1
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    The State of the Franchise!

    How do you think the Vikings Franchise holds up across the entire NFL?

    I think that the young and old will have a varied opinion on this, so let it rip, give your assessment.
    There are three parts to it:

    1.) How you think it has stacked up in the past over the entire length?

    2.) How you think it has stacked in the last few years?

    3.) How it stacks up going forward with what we got now?



    Here is a link to my blog and some references:
    http://www.purplepride.org/blogs/snowinapril/index.cfm/SnowInApril

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/

  2. #2
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    I think the team is looking better at its foundation than it has since the SB runs.
    The Tice era was the bandaid era with no real long-term goals other than unintentionally running the team into the ground by having a mentally challenged HC that was not prepared at that point in time to run an NFL team.
    The team is well on its way to being a perennial contender (I don't feel like typing much right now).
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    You don't have to answer all three to participate, just tackle one or give your take.
    The three questions are only meant as starting points for discussion.

  4. #4
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    Nice article SIA

    1.) How you think it has stacked up in the past over the entire length?
    For the length of the franchise it has, overall, been a good one for fans. With the success that we have been able to enjoy then we have been lucky. Ok we may not have won any SBs - yet - but we have enjoyed a good degree of success. All of the fanbase can look at their time as a fan and recall more than one good and enjoyable moment or occasion.
    Maybe that's why the Vikes have one of the most widespread and loyal fanbases - which is something that other fans have problems understanding given our perceived 'lack of success'



    2.) How you think it has stacked in the last few years?
    Recent years haven't been so good in terms of results and the expectations of the fanbase. Part of that was due to the hinderance encountered under the McCombs era. He stepped in just at the right time in terms of the results and fell-good factor generated by the '98 season. He did nothing to create that success but then tried to live off it over the following years and not have to enhance the team in terms of spending $$ on the team.
    Not only did he put the team back years but did the same by his cheap-assed move in making Tice a HC. I was always a believer that, in the long term, Tice would make a good HC. However to be put in the position that quick with not enough experience of his own, as well as not enough assistants or experienced coaching staff was way out of line.
    So now Zygi is having to turn the whole thing around which takes longer to do than to run it down.

    3.) How it stacks up going forward with what we got now?
    Fans have been missing consistent success and the bragging rights that go with it especially in the NFCN. However some have thought it should mean instant results especially with the change of HC but it doesn't work like that. Childress is getting there, though I'll admit I've been frustrated at times with him. However Zygi has said Childress is here for 2008 so we'll need to get behind him.
    After the last couple of years drafts we are starting to develop a core of younger players that will take us forward over the next few years. The future looks good for us despite the question mark at QB and I realy feel we will see big strides made between now and the start of the 2008 season.

    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    This will be a fun thread.
    Great idea.

    1.) How you think it has stacked up in the past over the entire length?
    NFL/NFC Championship Games: (8)
    Division Champions: (16)
    Playoff Appearences: (24)


    http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...a/vikings.html

    2.) How you think it has stacked in the last few years?
    Seems I have always been pretty proud to be a fan with a few exceptions. During the Denny era seemed we were always in the playoffs (missed one year) but could never win the big game.

    Then Red came along.
    Gutted things like the scouting staff, minimal coaches and talent, wouldn't retain high priced players etc etc.

    Really didn't see much future with respect to the way it the organization was run.

    3.) How it stacks up going forward with what we got now?
    I really like the way the Ownership group is moving with respect to staff hires that were lacking in the Red era.
    Plus up in the scouting department has repeated huge benifits in the last 2 drafts, a huge number of coaches on staff to coach the young guys and the resistance to splurge as some teams do (i.e. the Redskins) in an effort to "Win Now/Screw the Future".

    That is the key for me.
    I know see us as a very young and exciting team.
    We have resigned key vets, brought in a couple of very nice additions via the FA path and have drafted some very talented young players that are being groomed to be the foundation of how things will be done in the future.

    If they continue to provide stability at the HC position, draft well and selectively fill the holes with a few FA's then we will be consistently considered a playoff and beyond contender again as we were in the past.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    "Marrdro" wrote:

    2.) How you think it has stacked in the last few years?
    Seems I have always been pretty proud to be a fan with a few exceptions. During the Denny era seemed we were always in the playoffs (missed one year) but could never win the big game.

    Then Red came along.
    Gutted things like the scouting staff, minimal coaches and talent, wouldn't retain high priced players etc etc.

    Really didn't see much future with respect to the way it the organization was run.
    The first part of Denny's regime was a domination by Dallas.

    The second part was a domination by the NFC West.
    They took us out three consecutive years, Niners, Falcons and the Might Rams.


    Then it was the Giants. Boo!

    The Rams, Cowboys and Niners were special teams.
    The Niners probably felt the most like us but they were able to break through in 97 where we should have in 98 and didn't.

    BACK ON TOPIC!

    Denny put a great team on the field.
    If I have to judge him on the whole of his work, he did the franchise proud by keeping us at top year after year.
    I think his decline the last year was just simply the toll of putting up with Dumb RedAss McCombs.

    McCombs is the blemish on this franchise.
    It is one thing to make a mistake, draft choice or trade, but he had the control over the franchise and I don't think he cared.
    Most owners buy a team and hold it near and dear for the long term.
    He only wanted a championship, NOW!
    That is how it seems in hindsight.
    JMHO!

  7. #7
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    "AngloVike" wrote:
    Nice article SIA

    1.) How you think it has stacked up in the past over the entire length?
    For the length of the franchise it has, overall, been a good one for fans. With the success that we have been able to enjoy then we have been lucky. Ok we may not have won any SBs - yet - but we have enjoyed a good degree of success. All of the fanbase can look at their time as a fan and recall more than one good and enjoyable moment or occasion.
    Maybe that's why the Vikes have one of the most widespread and loyal fanbases - which is something that other fans have problems understanding given our perceived 'lack of success'

    2.) How you think it has stacked in the last few years?
    Recent years haven't been so good in terms of results and the expectations of the fanbase. Part of that was due to the hinderance encountered under the McCombs era. He stepped in just at the right time in terms of the results and fell-good factor generated by the '98 season. He did nothing to create that success but then tried to live off it over the following years and not have to enhance the team in terms of spending $$ on the team.
    Not only did he put the team back years but did the same by his cheap-assed move in making Tice a HC. I was always a believer that, in the long term, Tice would make a good HC. However to be put in the position that quick with not enough experience of his own, as well as not enough assistants or experienced coaching staff was way out of line.
    So now Zygi is having to turn the whole thing around which takes longer to do than to run it down.

    3.) How it stacks up going forward with what we got now?
    Fans have been missing consistent success and the bragging rights that go with it especially in the NFCN. However some have thought it should mean instant results especially with the change of HC but it doesn't work like that. Childress is getting there, though I'll admit I've been frustrated at times with him. However Zygi has said Childress is here for 2008 so we'll need to get behind him.
    After the last couple of years drafts we are starting to develop a core of younger players that will take us forward over the next few years. The future looks good for us despite the question mark at QB and I realy feel we will see big strides made between now and the start of the 2008 season.
    Good Post Anglo!

    Considering that I only remember the mid to late 70's forward, I am really interested in the long haul viking fan.
    I hope that Cojo and a few others will give the long haul perspective.

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

    2.) How you think it has stacked in the last few years?
    Seems I have always been pretty proud to be a fan with a few exceptions. During the Denny era seemed we were always in the playoffs (missed one year) but could never win the big game.

    Then Red came along.
    Gutted things like the scouting staff, minimal coaches and talent, wouldn't retain high priced players etc etc.

    Really didn't see much future with respect to the way it the organization was run.
    The first part of Denny's regime was a domination by Dallas.

    The second part was a domination by the NFC West.
    They took us out three consecutive years, Niners, Falcons and the Might Rams.


    Then it was the Giants. Boo!

    The Rams, Cowboys and Niners were special teams.
    The Niners probably felt the most like us but they were able to break through in 97 where we should have in 98 and didn't.

    BACK ON TOPIC!

    Denny put a great team on the field.
    If I have to judge him on the whole of his work, he did the franchise proud by keeping us at top year after year.
    I think his decline the last year was just simply the toll of putting up with Dumb RedAss McCombs.

    McCombs is the blemish on this franchise.
    It is one thing to make a mistake, draft choice or trade, but he had the control over the franchise and I don't think he cared.
    Most owners buy a team and hold it near and dear for the long term.
    He only wanted a championship, NOW!
    That is how it seems in hindsight.
    JMHO!
    I agree.
    I should have been more articulate but I really liked Denny.


    If you ever get the chance read his book, "No room for Cry Babies".
    Very interesting and what I think is really his downfall.

    He tried to do the duties of the GM and Head Coach (which included putting up with Red) and that always seems to be the death nail of most HC's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    MetalMike-LoudVike's Avatar
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,291

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    I think the main thing is Ownership You get a guy like McCombs a guy who wanted to build a house of Popsicle sticks instead of real matertials.Just Build it of twigs and leaves then slap on some mud
    then go and get some markers to paint it. As a fan base we should have rioted until new ownership came along. Right Now things in my eyes are on the way the way up.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

  10. #10
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: The State of the Franchise!

    1.) How you think it has stacked up in the past over the entire length?

    I think that as of now we do not have a clearly defined identity.
    Most all successful teams have one in my opinion.
    The Steeler's have a D, Pats have a feared passing game, Chicago has an excellent Special Teams and a lot of teams have an identity.

    I guess if we were to have one I think it would be a running game.
    However, I am not sold on it yet until we consistantly have good running games; we kind of leveled off towards the end of the season.
    We need something that we can bank on every Sunday.


    Or you could say we are a run stopping team.
    But that is only half of an identity I feel.
    Sure we stop the run, then they just go nuts through the air.

    Historically we have been a team of great Defense through the 70's, mediocrity in the 80's, then back to the Defense and then Offense in the late 90's to early 2000.
    I feel as if we are missing something to ralley around and we are in a funk like the 80's.

    I know we will snap out of it whether it's next year or a few years down the road.

    Great thread BTW.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. State of the Franchise Vikings
    By FuadFan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
  2. The Franchise Tag
    By kevoncox in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 03:50 PM
  3. Update: State of the Franchise
    By nephilimstorm in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 07:51 AM
  4. Vikes - NFL Network - State of the Franchise 4/14
    By MaxVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 08:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •