Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings starting QB job still up for grabs for next season

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Childress noncommittal over quarterback's long-term future [/size]

The Vikings coach won't say Tarvaris Jackson will be the starter in 2007, explaining that he wants to evaluate the total body of work.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: December 24, 2007 - 9:19 PM

That's it. They've seen it. Barring a run into the 2007 postseason, the Vikings have collected the vast majority of raw data they're going to have for making the most critical decision of their offseason....
    THERE IT IS.......THERE IT IS.

"I want to see the rest of the season, obviously, and I'm not looking at [Denver] as our last game," Childress said. "But the best thing I think to do is, we always talk about it. [Vice President of Player Personnel] Rick [Spielman] and I will talk about it. The coaches will talk about it. And you're always better served just to step away and look at things from a distance."
    Is this a re-occuring theme or what.
    Comeon, someone prove me wrong or convince me otherwise that the Chiller isn't really the author of or the decision maker behined this whole Jackson experiment.

He has been toeing the line cause it is a front office mandate to "Develop" this team and see were they stand, but damn fella's, how many times do we have to see quotes like this before we finally figure this out and quite saying that he is like some little Hitler up there forcing this issue.

I am happy know.
    The Chiller has the ammo (TJ's performances) as ammo to really get someone in here to run this offense.

Damn, this is a gonna be a great off year.
    ;D
    That can be spun 2 ways.

You could say that Childress has to lobby Spielman to do what he wants or it could be that Spielman is asking Childress what he needs to win and does what the coach wants.

The spin you take is up to you but isn't necessarily right or wrong.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The Vikings coach won't say Tarvaris Jackson will be the starter in 2007, explaining that he wants to evaluate the total body of work.

That's it. They've seen it. Barring a run into the 2007 postseason, the Vikings have collected the vast majority of raw data they're going to have for making the most critical decision of their offseason....

"I want to see the rest of the season, obviously, and I'm not looking at [Denver] as our last game," Childress said. "But the best thing I think to do is, we always talk about it. [Vice President of Player Personnel] Rick [Spielman] and I will talk about it. The coaches will talk about it. And you're always better served just to step away and look at things from a distance."

Comeon, someone prove me wrong or convince me otherwise that the Chiller isn't really the author of or the decision maker behined this whole Jackson experiment.

He has been toeing the line cause it is a front office mandate to "Develop" this team and see were they stand, but gol 'darnit fella's, how many times do we have to see quotes like this before we finally figure this out and quite saying that he is like some little Hitler up there forcing this issue.

I am happy know.
    The Chiller has the ammo (TJ's performances) as ammo to really get someone in here to run this offense.

gol 'darnit, this is a gonna be a great off year.

;D
    That can be spun 2 ways.

You could say that Childress has to lobby Spielman to do what he wants or it could be that Spielman is asking Childress what he needs to win and does what the coach wants.

I agree it could go either way, however, in most cases Spielman is the one who is calling player personnel shots with buying from the Owner, Coach and of course Bryzcheapski.

Remember the famous quote I was using with regard to the Tuna and how he of all coaches didn't get to make player personnel decisions.
    Guess what, we saw that in Dallas (TO) and now it is being touted again that since he took the Miami gig, finally has that authority.

Very funny how most people don't understand how organizations work.
    With that said, I think my spin is pretty accurate.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

He has been toeing the line cause it is a front office mandate to "Develop" this team and see were they stand, but gol 'darnit fella's, how many times do we have to see quotes like this before we finally figure this out and quite saying that he is like some little Hitler up there forcing this issue.

I am happy know.

;D
    That can be spun 2 ways.

I agree it could go either way, however, in most cases Spielman is the one who is calling player personnel shots with buying from the Owner, Coach and of course Bryzcheapski.

Remember the famous quote I was using with regard to the Tuna and how he of all coaches didn't get to make player personnel decisions.
    Guess what, we saw that in Dallas (TO) and now it is being touted again that since he took the Miami gig, finally has that authority.

I thought we were talking about the Vikings and not the cowboys? What they do has no bearing on what we do and even that organization has gone through changes. Jimmy Johnson was very involved and instrumental in choosing the talent when Jones first took over.

Back to the Vikings,though.
    I have yet to see a blueprint that was approved by the club as authentic that shows Childress is just a puppet and that Brzynski is his Geppetto. If Wilf has the confidence he says he does in Childress, I am sure that Brad has input on who to bring in.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Starting QB job up for grabs next season - Childress noncommittal on Jackson

This has been heavily talked about on other threads...but I think Zygi made the promise to Minnesota fans that he would keep the team in Minnesota. He hates to go back on that promise but he also realizes that nothing will happen on the new stadium front unless the Vikings are a winner RIGHT NOW! He needs this team to come up big next year to get the fans excited about Viking football again.
    He knows the time is short from both personnel standpoint (like Birk and others) and from the timeline
    they need to get a new stadium in place.
    As much as I think both the coach and the owner would like to build from the draft, time isn't going to offer that luxeury. That's why I see the Vikings loosening their purse strings and spending most of their cap money and bringing in what they need almost despite the cause. It's a "do or die" situation for the Vikings next year in terms of the stadium deal.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I am happy know.

;D
    That can be spun 2 ways.

I thought we were talking about the Vikings and not the cowboys? What they do has no bearing on what we do and even that organization has gone through changes. Jimmy Johnson was very involved and instrumental in choosing the talent when Jones first took over.

I have yet to see a blueprint that was approved by the club as authentic that shows Childress is just a puppet and that Brzynski is his Geppetto. If Wilf has the confidence he says he does in Childress, I am sure that Brad has input on who to bring in.
    Ahhh now your just trying to get me riled up.

The Cowboys are just one example of how that blueprint is infact utilized by other teams.
    Discount it away if you want but that is the way things run.

As to the Vikes, if the Chiller had all the power, why would the Wilfs use a term like Triangle of Authorit?
    Why didn't Wilf fire the Chiller last year after the way the draft was run and poor player personnel decisions were made during that draft?

Comeon my friend.
    Ignore the facts and my assumptions all you want but the Chiller just doesn't have the power that most believe. I for one think that is a good thing.
    Case in point.
    Look at the only team you can really call a dynasty in this present day era.......The Pats.......

They have a GM and a Player Personnel staff.
    The Head Coach does just that. Coach and of course provide input on player decisions.

Look, I am not saying that the Coaching staff doesn't have a say in who is brought in but all the research/scouting is done by that department and not the Head Coach my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=40899.msg696978#msg696978 date=1198586846]

I am happy know.

;D
    That can be spun 2 ways.

Ahhh now your just trying to get me riled up.

The Cowboys are just one example of how that blueprint is infact utilized by other teams.
    Discount it away if you want but that is the way things run.

As to the Vikes, if the Chiller had all the power, why would the Wilfs use a term like Triangle of Authorit?
    Why didn't Wilf fire the Chiller last year after the way the draft was run and poor player personnel decisions were made during that draft?

Comeon my friend.
    Ignore the facts and my assumptions all you want but the Chiller just doesn't have the power that most believe. I for one think that is a good thing.
    Case in point.
    Look at the only team you can really call a dynasty in this present day era.......The Pats.......

They have a GM and a Player Personnel staff.
    The Head Coach does just that. Coach and of course provide input on player decisions.

Look, I am not saying that the Coaching staff doesn't have a say in who is brought in but all the research/scouting is done by that department and not the Head Coach my friend.
    [/quote]

Here is how it worked with the Pats. A little history from Wiki gives some insight.

In 1992, Pioli was hired as a pro personnel assistant by now-Patriots coach Bill Belichick, then the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Even without prior NFL scouting experience, Belichick put Pioli in charge of evaluating college players and handling some player contracts.

When Belichick was fired following the Browns' move to Baltimore in 1996, Pioli stayed with the Ravens and was promoted to director of pro personnel.

A year later, in 1997, Pioli rejoined Belichick, who had followed Bill Parcells as an assistant coach to the New York Jets. Again the director of pro personnel, Pioli's moves helped the Jets to a franchise-high 12 wins and their first AFC East title in 20 years.

When Belichick accepted the Patriots' head coaching position in 2000, Pioli again followed Belichick as the Patriots' assistant director of player personnel.

In their seven seasons with the Patriots, Pioli and Belichick have led the team to three Super Bowl championships and five division titles. In his tenure with the Patriots, Pioli has earned promotions to Director of Player Personnel and Vice President of Player Personnel in 2000 and 2002, respectively, as well as a contract extension in 2005.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote]
    "marstc09" wrote:
    If we make the playoffs, TJ is our QB next year.
    I think he is even if we don't make the playoffs.
    Hate to say it but I think the following justifies it.

a.
    He has played above expectations.
    b.
    He will get better (not sure to what degree) over the offseason.
    c.
    His supporting cast will continue to improve.
    d.
    There isn't a glut of NFL ready QB's out there that are much better than him this year.
    e.
    A collegiate candidate would be behind TJ with regard to time in the system and would set this team back.

I still find comments like this from the Chiller confusing though.
    I am not 100% convinced that he is completely sold on TJ as well.
    (I have seen him make a comment like that at least 5 different times)

"I'm not going to say he's not; I'm not going to say he is," Childress said. "I just want to look at these (last) seven games and see what kind of growth he's had. He's shown some things. We've said there's going to be blips. But he's still going to be a work in progress as we go through next year."
    Guess that gives some of us doubters some room for hope that he will force the front office staff to at least explore the possiblities of getting a better supporting cast of candidates as backups next year.

I for one would still like to see us go after Sorgi and draft a kid as well.
    I am with you totaly Chilly is alot of cunfusing. I am not ever sold on this guy getting us past the first round of playoffs
    much less to a sb. He cant call plays on the run, he makes bad timing on stupid ideas when it comes to challening plays that are obvious. I know that it all isnt on Chilly when it comes to the challenging but I do say that the challenging the redskin play was great....i was impressed on the reversal. But still If TJack isnt our QB next year after all he has come thru...he is stupider than he looks with the clown outfit on in pp.o.
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

"purplepowered" wrote:
    My friend, I've given you at least 3 responses that show that the Chiller (although he approves the gameplan) doesn't call the plays during the game.

Gotta let that one go and ping on him for other things of importance like:

a.
    Poor Scheme.
    b.
    Team not ready both mentally and physically.
    c.
    Poor coaching decision (i.e. Kick or not, on side kick or not, go for it on 4th and 1 or not).

Those are the types of things that come into play here, not whether or not he called a pass play or a running play.
    Again, the O-coord is relaying them down to the QB coach who then calls them in.

Re: Starting QB job up for grabs next season - Childress noncommittal on Jackson

I think stick with TJ behind our running game ( if we keep CT) and load him up with weapons. Few of the free agents mentioned like Crayton and Dallas Clark would be good or if any top drawer wideouts come availble. Vikings would have a much easier job finding quality receivers than an NFL ready or indeed proven QB!
    "A head coach needs 3 things. A good wife, a loyal dog and a helluva Quaterback!" John Gruden

Frostbite is offline Coach

Every Job will be open to production/performance during TC. It will be up to T.Jack to win it by showing he's doing what is expected by the C. Staff. This will be true even if a proven Vet like McNab comes here.

I think next year is the bubble season for T.Jack. Even if he wins the starting job out of camp he's going to be closely watched for signs of improvement in decision maiking, and performance in critical game situations. He will either have gotten over the stupid mistakes and be playing his best football....or he will be moving on or benched by the end of 08. I think the kid deserves the chance to work hard in the off-season, come in ready, and knock the socks off everyone's expectations of him. He's got a lot of work to do.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast