Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Starting QB job up for grabs next season - Childress noncommittal on Jackson

[size=13pt]Charley Walters: Minnesota Vikings starting QB job still up for grabs for next season[/size]

Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 12/22/2007 10:07:02 PM CST

SUNDAY SUPER SHOOTER CHARLEY WALTERS

Vikings second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has an 8-2 record this season heading into tonight's game against the Washington Redskins, but coach Brad Childress isn't ready to say he has settled on his quarterback for 2008...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings starting QB job still up for grabs for next season

Well that title was missleading.
    Only 3 short paragraphs on TJ.

Where the hell do they find these guys they call reporters.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

If we make the playoffs, TJ is our QB next year.

"marstc09" wrote:
    If we make the playoffs, TJ is our QB next year.
    I think he is even if we don't make the playoffs.
    Hate to say it but I think the following justifies it.

a.
    He has played above expectations.
    b.
    He will get better (not sure to what degree) over the offseason.
    c.
    His supporting cast will continue to improve.
    d.
    There isn't a glut of NFL ready QB's out there that are much better than him this year.
    e.
    A collegiate candidate would be behind TJ with regard to time in the system and would set this team back.

I still find comments like this from the Chiller confusing though.
    I am not 100% convinced that he is completely sold on TJ as well.
    (I have seen him make a comment like that at least 5 different times)

"I'm not going to say he's not; I'm not going to say he is," Childress said. "I just want to look at these (last) seven games and see what kind of growth he's had. He's shown some things. We've said there's going to be blips. But he's still going to be a work in progress as we go through next year."
    Guess that gives some of us doubters some room for hope that he will force the front office staff to at least explore the possiblities of getting a better supporting cast of candidates as backups next year.

I for one would still like to see us go after Sorgi and draft a kid as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

I think proper competition can be a great motivator.
    Doesn't look like Bollinger or Holcomb are really challenging TJack's status at the top, and then theres all those injuries forcing starts from the bench.
    I would definitely like to see something done here, though I'm no longer sure how much more we need to invest...vet and/or rookie?
    At one point I was all about a first round pick and a vet...now that TJack is improving, I'd lean toward WR, DE, or S with that pick.
    But, specially if the FA vets aren't looking so good (talent upgrade vs. cost), we need to consider an earlier pick in a BPA scenario.

Sorgi might be a good fit...hopefully we'll get to see him in action a bit the next two weeks.

[edit]Back to Bollinger...he managed to get the job done on Mon.
    Again, seems he's better off the bench, than when he knows he is going to be the starter...perhaps?
    He could be the backup/tutor for TJack and another young guy.
    "he knows the system"
    Once again, this being IF it is another thin FA QB class...which seems likely given all the injuries at the position, and how many teams struggled with their depth there.
    Supply is down/Demand is up...D'oh!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

ciacbw is offline Rookie

And the skins are supposed to be scared of a QB who isnt even guaranteed the starting job? lmao

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Childress noncommittal over quarterback's long-term future [/size]

The Vikings coach won't say Tarvaris Jackson will be the starter in 2007, explaining that he wants to evaluate the total body of work.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: December 24, 2007 - 9:19 PM

That's it. They've seen it. Barring a run into the 2007 postseason, the Vikings have collected the vast majority of raw data they're going to have for making the most critical decision of their offseason....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:

The Vikings coach won't say Tarvaris Jackson will be the starter in 2007, explaining that he wants to evaluate the total body of work.

That's it. They've seen it. Barring a run into the 2007 postseason, the Vikings have collected the vast majority of raw data they're going to have for making the most critical decision of their offseason....
    THERE IT IS.......THERE IT IS.

"I want to see the rest of the season, obviously, and I'm not looking at [Denver] as our last game," Childress said. "But the best thing I think to do is, we always talk about it. [Vice President of Player Personnel] Rick [Spielman] and I will talk about it. The coaches will talk about it. And you're always better served just to step away and look at things from a distance."
    Is this a re-occuring theme or what.
    Comeon, someone prove me wrong or convince me otherwise that the Chiller isn't really the author of or the decision maker behined this whole Jackson experiment.

He has been toeing the line cause it is a front office mandate to "Develop" this team and see were they stand, but damn fella's, how many times do we have to see quotes like this before we finally figure this out and quite saying that he is like some little Hitler up there forcing this issue.

I am happy know.
    The Chiller has the ammo (TJ's performances) as ammo to really get someone in here to run this offense.

Damn, this is a gonna be a great off year.
    ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:

The Vikings coach won't say Tarvaris Jackson will be the starter[glow=red,2,300] in 2007[/glow], explaining that he wants to evaluate the total body of work.

why are we bringing back clips from this past preseason? We already know what happened with the QB position in 2007.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The Vikings coach won't say Tarvaris Jackson will be the starter[glow=red,2,300] in 2007[/glow], explaining that he wants to evaluate the total body of work.

why are we bringing back clips from this past preseason? We already know what happened with the QB position in 2007.

I tend to ignore typos like that from the local sports hacks and kindof chalk it up as a prime example of thier reporting (or lack thereof most times) skills.
    ;D

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast