Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starters..

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Starters..

Vikings | M. Johnson Benched Week 1
    Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:07:38 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings OT Marcus Johnson was benched in the fourth quarter against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Week 1. Head coach Mike Tice said Johnson would start Week 2.

Marcus Johnson to start again eh? I though Goldberg did much bettter.. We will have to see after this week.. Any thoughts?

Also Rod David might start if Cowart cant play.. I Would like EJ to start instead of him and have DT play

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Starters..

Great, he played like sh!t. I hope Tice gets smarter earlier in the game this week!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I hope he can block 10x better than what he did Sunday!

Good luck Marcus!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I heard Tice say that he wasn't going to move the guys around and confuse them. He is just going to insert Rod in the vacant spot and have the guys play there normal positions.

Valhalladeath is offline Training Camp

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think the Viking's coaching staff wants Goldberg starting at RG because they still have plans to start him at center...possibly as soon as October. Let's face it, while Withrow does a great job as a backup and emergency starter,he is not starting material in the NFL on an every week basis. This holds especially true with the Vikes. The Vikings use the center in their running game far more than other teams. He does an admirable job getting the line situated and calling out assignments, but he does not have the size to be an effective run blocker. Plus, he is undersized to be able to hold up to the beating of trying to block the big uglies at DT on an everydown basis--this was especially true on Sunday. He got beaten horribly on at least 3 plays that I can remember. Unless they have visions of the guy from the Browns being starting material, I wouldn't be surprised to see Goldberg slide into the starting center spot in a few weeks.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

If Mount McKinnie can not go this week Goldberg will be the starting left tackle!

They will have to have Johnson starting at right guard. Until they know if McKinnie can go this week, they will have Goldberg taking snaps at tackle!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

At LB, what about Keith Newman, he seemed to have a pretty good game while he was in. I think he excels, because aside from Cowart, he knows Cotrell's system better than the other LB's.

At O-line, they really need to call Dixon. With him at RG, the center would have a much easier time.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

lukeshkin is offline Rookie

"JDogg926" wrote:
    At LB, what about Keith Newman, he seemed to have a pretty good game while he was in. I think he excels, because aside from Cowart, he knows Cotrell's system better than the other LB's.

At O-line they really need to call Dixon With him at RG, the center would have a much easier time.
    i couldnt agree more newman played really well he may deserve a start

and you hit the nail on the head with the idea of calling up big dave if mckinnie cant go the line should look like this
    LT goldberg
    LG liwienski
    C withrow
    RG dixon
    RT Rosenthal

if mckinnie can play i think it should go like this
    LT mckinnie
    LG liwienski
    C Goldberg- i think the sooner he gets acclimated to the position the better he has more similarities to birk than withrow and we need him to step up to get the ground game/pass protection going\
    RG Dixon
    RT rosenthal

i think marcus johnson can be a great starter for us but he just isnt ready

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I am worried about our line, I am hoping that the have a much better week. I would not be bummed if they brought back Dixon, it would take him a few weeks to get into game shape.

I have not heard anything about Herrera since he was released from the hospital, hope that he is getting stronger! He had lost a bunch of weight.

I googled Melvin Fowler, here is his scouting report coming out of college.

He was drafted by Cleveland in 2002.

2002 played and started in 1 game
    2003 Played in 14 games started in 10
    2004 Played in 15 games started in 3

I do not know what to think about him, if Withrow can not do it can this guy start and do a good job?

Melvin Fowler

Class: RS Senior

Hometown: Wheatly Heights, N.Y.

High School: Half Hollow Hills

Height / Weight: 6-3 / 297

Position: Center

Birthdate: 03/31/1979

Experience: 3V

Honors: All-ACC Candidate

On Fowler: A fifth-year senior spent four seasons as the Terrapins’ starting center … rated among the top players at his position in the country … started all 44 games of his career – as well as the Orange Bowl – at center … made a remarkable position switch (from the defensive line) as a redshirt freshman in 1998 that ultimately solidified the Maryland offensive line … began fall camp in 1998 competing for time at nose tackle, but was moved to center just 10 days from the 1998 opener in a move that was embraced by Fowler and ultimately by all … a quick, explosive player who attacks the line of scrimmage … a team leader and Iron Terp who is ranked in the top three on the team in every strength discipline (strength index, bench, squat, clean, vertical jump and 40 time).

2001 (Senior): Started all 11 games at center for the fourth consecutive season … first-team All-ACC selection at center ... third-team All-America by Football News and a fourth-team All-America by The Sporting News ... one of five finalists for the Rimington Award, which is given to the nation’s top center ... rated among the top players at his position in the country … named to the Lombardi watch list for the nation’s top lineman ... one of the main reasons why Maryland ranked 11th in rushing yards per game (220.7) in Division I-A ... graded out as Maryland’s top lineman in eight games ... (vs. FSU) Played a solid game and was nominated for ACC Lineman of the Week ... helped lead the Maryland rushing attack to 214 yards and 428 total yards ... played 76 snaps ... (vs. UVa) Helped lead the offense to 480 total yards and was in on 87 plays ... (vs. WFU) Led the offensive line with four “big blocks� (pancake, knockdown, cut, etc.) ... the team’s top graded lineman who played 73 snaps ... (vs. UNC) Top-grading performer on Maryland’s offensive front ... registered a team-best seven “big blocks� ... played 70 snaps

2000 (Junior): Started all 11 games at center for the third consecutive season … named first team All-ACC by Collegefootballnews.com and honorable mention All-ACC by the Atlantic Coast Sportswriters Association … selected as the recipient of the team’s Alvin L. Aubinoe Award as Maryland’s “unsung hero� of the 2000 season … helped Terps finish No. 2 in the ACC in fewest sacks allowed.

1999 (Sophomore): An 11-game starter at center for the second consecutive season … helped key an offensive attack that rose 51 spots in final NCAA total offense rankings compared to 1998 … Maryland finished the 1999 season as the ACC’s top rushing team, ranking 12th nationally in rushing yards per game with a figure of 231.4 yards per contest … the Terps’ offensive line allowed an ACC-low 11 sacks.

1998 (Redshirt Freshman): Started all 11 games at center despite not playing the position since junior high school … shifted to offense from a nose tackle position just 10 days before Maryland's opening game vs. James Madison … one of two freshman starters on the offensive line … stabilized a line that was responsible in part for the Terps' status as the sixth-most improved NCAA I-A rushing offense … helped limit opponent sacks from 56 in 1997 to just 30 in 1998.

1997 (Freshman): Redshirt season.

High School: A 1997 graduate of Half Hollow Hills High School ... earned All-Long Island and all-county honors from the Long Island Sporting News ... named Long Island’s top lineman in a vote of area coaches ... was a finalist for the 1996 Bob Zellner Award ... a three-sport standout who also excelled in basketball and lacrosse ... was an active volunteer in SADD and the Special Olympics ... a member of the honor roll.

Personal: Melvin Thaddeus Fowler, Jr. was born March 31, 1979 ... son of Lucinda and Melvin Fowler, Sr. ... majoring in communications.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Newman was a wildman Sunday.

As far the the O-Line goes, Johnson needs at least a year before he should see the field again. If McKinny is out, we are in for a world of hurt. That means Withrow, Goldberg and Johnson will be on the field at the same time.

[color=red]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast