Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Start Tarvaris? No, start THINKING.

After reading far too many people say that Tarvaris Jackson should start, I thought I would send a list of reasons why he shouldn't.
    Primarily, this list deals with what I feel are the real problems the Vikings are having, and why Tarvaris won't fix them.

#1:
    The O-Line isn't doing it's job.
    Hicks and Johnson are looking more and more like turnstiles (When Johnson isn't drawing a penalty), and McKinnie struggles with speed guys.
    That means that Brad seldom has time to make multiple reads, or for receivers to get open.
    Putting Jackson in might add to that available time via his mobility, but it also means that a unpolished small-school kid gets subjected to a lot of heat out of the chute...bad idea.

#2:
    Our Receivers aren't getting open, and aren't making plays when they do.
    The primary blame lies with Troy Williamson.
    In his second year as a pro, Troy has yet to master the basic concept of "Catch the ball".
    His inability to do so diminishes Brad Johnson's confidence in him, and that can't be too high as it is.
    Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson have been the only two to be productive (Yes, Travis dropped a couple and fumbled a biggie), but they aren't supposed to be carrying the load.
    So, if we put in Tarvaris Jackson, do our receivers start getting open or catching all of a sudden?
    I doubt it.
    Again, bad idea.

#3:
    And this is where I tread dangerous ground.
    I believe that Darrell Bevel was brought in to be an empty title Coordinator.
    Brad Childress knew Darrell from his UW days, and brought him in because he knew he wouldn't rock the boat.
    That means that everything we see comes straight from Brad Childress...and it's not pretty.
    Aside from a handful of trick plays, Childress has shown a stunning lack of imagination in play calling.
    Couple that with our receiver's inability to catch, and you have a recipe for 2 kinds of plays;

A:
    Run Chester Taylor

B:
    Short dump off passes.
    With 8 weeks of film to back this up, how many NFL teams aren't preparing for this?
    Only the ones too poor to afford a projector (i.e. None of them).
    So, we will increasingly see 8 and 9 men in the box as teams will try and take away our short passing and running game and make us beat them deep - which we can't do.
    Putting Tarvaris Jackson in will not change this one iota because Childress will still be the one calling plays.
    Again....bad idea.

The truth of the matter is that this team was put together intentionally to be a short pass/running team.
    They told us that all pre-season.
    They came right out and said it, over and over.
    They even cut our only legitimate deep threat for getting a DUI (A move I support for non-football reasons).
    Yet, for some silly reason, we all expected them to be the same high-flying, deep-threat scoring machine we've become familiar with.

Nope...those days are gone.

The SOLUTION isn't bringing in Tarvaris Jackson.
    By himself, the only thing Tarvaris is likely to accomplish is having his ego smashed and his confidence shattered.
    Instead, what needs to happen can only happen in the off season.
    The O-Line needs to be solidified, the WR Corps needs to be rebuilt, and a real Offensive Coordinator needs to be brought in, and Brad Childress needs to NOT CALL PLAYS.
    He needs to over see the game, not micromanage it.

The sad truth is that there is no "quick-fix" for our predicament.
    We have to ride out the season as we are now...unfortunately...and hope that Coach Childress takes a step back and realizes where the fault lies - with him.
    He brought in Mike Tomlin, and that has made all the difference on Defense.
    Wouldn't it stand to reason that bringing in a real Offensive Coordinator could help us there as well?

I think it's rather obvious.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

Re: Start Tarvaris? No, start THINKING.

Caine I tried buddy. My brain is fried from reading Madden 07 threads all day but I bookmarked it and when my eyes stop bleeding I will give it a go.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh, a dose of sanity.

I will bask in the glow of Caine for a while.....

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

#1 True
    #2 True
    #3 Very True, Bring back Jerry Burns ;D

oh, and thank you Caine nice post!

davike is offline Team Alumni

i still think that we should start tavaris jackson, i was playing madden and started him and he did really well, so i am all for it, he didn't fumble or throw any interceptions. so of course he is our best option : . jk. thanks caine, that made my day alot better to read that. i agree completley

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Del Rio Guest

#3:
    Brad Childress knew Darrell from his UW days, and brought him in because he knew he wouldn't rock the boat.
    That means that everything we see comes straight from Brad Childress...and it's not pretty.
    Aside from a handful of trick plays, Childress has shown a stunning lack of imagination in play calling.
    Couple that with our receiver's inability to catch, and you have a recipe for 2 kinds of plays;

A:
    Run Chester Taylor

B:
    Short dump off passes.
    With 8 weeks of film to back this up, how many NFL teams aren't preparing for this?
    So, we will increasingly see 8 and 9 men in the box as teams will try and take away our short passing and running game and make us beat them deep - which we can't do.
    Putting Tarvaris Jackson in will not change this one iota because Childress will still be the one calling plays.
    Again....bad idea.

How does this vanilla, and standard approach to play calling make sense of the trick plays we have tried and sometimes succeeded in trying. How can a guy with tighty whiteys who calls a very boring game all of a sudden pinch on the nipple clips and have his HB throw a pass down the field?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

clap clap clap clap clap clap
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    #3:

A:
    Run Chester Taylor

B:
    Short dump off passes.
    Again....bad idea.

How does this vanilla, and standard approach to play calling make sense of the trick plays we have tried and sometimes succeeded in trying. How can a guy with tighty whiteys who calls a very boring game all of a sudden pinch on the nipple clips and have his HB throw a pass down the field?
    Maybe he looks around and sees that the other team has fallen asleep.
    The downside is, so have our receivers.

Caine

Tarvaris will have his day.
    I would like to see them leave Johnson in and be more creative with the playcalling.
    If anyone should be benched, it should be our young receiver.....Bring in this Carter kid....it couldnt hurt and leave Williamson to return kickoffs or put him on the practice squad until he learns to catch a ball.

Williamson is ALL upside.
    He couldnt get any worse than he is now....
    but recognize his shortcomings and work on them!
    His practice week should consist of catching no less than a 1000 balls.....even if it means bringing in local highschool QB's to throw to him!
    Just like a person learning to putt....he needs to catch 10 in a row from 5 yards, than 10 yards, and so on....speed is his gift....now he had a JOB to do about his hands!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Del Rio Guest

"Caine" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    #3:

A:
    Run Chester Taylor

B:
    Short dump off passes.
    Again....bad idea.

Maybe he looks around and sees that the other team has fallen asleep.
    The downside is, so have our receivers.

Caine
    Maybe, either that or maybe he calls a very proficient set of plays that requires your team to execute. I mean if his plays are basic and your line can't block them and your WR's can't catch the ball when it hits their hands......what can we do?

If he runs Offense for dummies and his players are not making plays then I don't see what adding complexity will fix guys not catching or blocking.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast