Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Start Kelly Holcomb Thread.

"Garland" wrote:
    "Jeembo" wrote:
    I haven't read through the entire thread, but it looks like most of you are trying to crucify Jackson for having a bad game.
    I completely disagree that we should go elsewhere for a QB.
    I mean for christ sake - it was his 4TH START!
    The kid has a ton of upside and he needs an O-Line that can stop a freaking pass rusher.
    I do agree that Bollinger is an absolutely horrible QB and that we should start Holcomb if TJack can't go but everyone saying Jackson is horrible better not hop back on the bandwagon when he goes for 300 yds and 3 tds in week 13.
    Even Peyton Manning only finished with a rating of 70 his rookie year.

Manning's 2nd and 3rd games: 41/77, 381, 1 td, 5 int
    TJack's last 2 games: 30/56, 329, 1 td, 5 int

Now I'm not saying he's going to become what Manning is now - he just doesn't have the talent around him that Manning does.
    However, he's not going to turn out like the Ryan Leaf like most of the people here think he will.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Akili Smith 1st 2 starting games

17/25 177 Yards 0 TD and 2 INT

Tim Couch first 2 games
    25/56 257 yards 2 TD 1 INT so technically better than TJacks 1st 2 games

Ryan Leaf

22/55 371 yards 1 TD 2 INT

and My favorite
    Spergeon Wynn same type of small time school back ground as TJack 2nd year and had played some the year before. 1st 2 starts for the Vikes

35/69 332 yards 1TD 4 Interceptions

TJack:TJack's last 2 games: 30/56, 329, 1 td, 5 int
    Spergeon: 35/69 332 yards 1TD 4 Int

By the way Spergeon had Carter, Moss, and Jake Reed as his WR's so just because you have great talent around youu does not mean you will be a successful QB
    Thus making the point to give TJ some time.
    He doesn't have the same talent that Wynn did.
    Nor did Akili Smith, Tim Couch, or Ryan Leaf.
    I think we can all chalk it up to Wynn was just terrible or the fact that team quit and gave up that year he had his start.
    Carter was ready to move on.
    Moss was frustrated and REeed had seen his best days.

We can talk about this till we're blue in the face.
    TJ is young.
    It is way too early to tell if he is a flop.
    A few pages ago I compared Troy Aikman.
    His first 11 games he was 1 - 10 with 9 TDs and 18 INTs.
    Also a 52% completion ratio.
    Comparisons mean squat at this point.
    It cracks me up how so many people here rely on the most rediculous stats to prove a point.
    Please look past the stats.
    He has tremendous upside.
    He has all the physical tools to make it in the NFL.
    He now has to learn to not make mistakes and force everything.
    That is why running the ball at this stage in his career is what will give him more confidence and get his experience.
    the rest will come.
    If it doesn't then you look further.
    But it is too early to make that determination.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

NFL Network "Total Access" is reporting that if TJ can't start, the starter will be Brooks Bollinger. I don't know if they are just guessing or what.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

This should be the "Start anyone but TJ thread" I dont really want Holcomb either buts as long as TJ is not in there I am happy. According to ESPN Holcomb will start.

News: Holcomb took the snaps with the first-team offense in practice on Friday while Tarvaris Jackson (groin) was mostly on the sidelines, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

Spin: Although head coach Brad Childress has declined to name a starter or even a contingency plan if Jackson can't play, all signs point to Holcomb starting against Kansas City this week.

Sep. 21, 2:55 PM ET

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:
    This should be the "Start anyone but TJ thread" I dont really want Holcomb either buts as long as TJ is not in there I am happy. According to ESPN Holcomb will start.

News: Holcomb took the snaps with the first-team offense in practice on Friday while Tarvaris Jackson (groin) was mostly on the sidelines, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

Spin: Although head coach Brad Childress has declined to name a starter or even a contingency plan if Jackson can't play, all signs point to Holcomb starting against Kansas City this week.

Sep. 21, 2:55 PM ET

I agree and hope he does if TJ can't make it!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cmh6476 is offline Training Camp

Minnesota _ The Vikings list quarterback Tarvaris Jackson as doubtful for Sunday's game against the Chiefs, but Brad Childress isn't saying who will be the starting quarterback. Kelly Holcomb and Brooks Bollinger shared snaps in practice all week. Most people believe Holcomb will get the start. Childress let the quarterbacks know of his decision but neither quarterback was talking after practice.

Fullback Tony Richardson is doubtful with a forearm injury. It will be a gametime decision on halfback Chester Taylor, who is questionable with a hip injury. He will play if he can last the entire game, and that might be too much at this point.

Safeties Darren Sharper (hip) and Dwight Smith (hamstring) are questionable. Sharper said he will play. Smith was limited in Friday's practice and won't know until Sunday.

Wide receiver Troy Williamson is questionable with a hamstring injury, but the injury was considered minor and he should be able to play.

duvaldomo is offline Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    NFL Network "Total Access" is reporting that if TJ can't start, the starter will be Brooks Bollinger. I don't know if they are just guessing or what.
    Jackson took some snaps in practice thursday but childress isnt telling anyone who is starting so no one really knows but him

cmh6476 is offline Training Camp

"duvaldomo" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Jackson took some snaps in practice thursday but childress isnt telling anyone who is starting so no one really knows but him
    what I just posted came from a radio producer with espn radio, so it looks like the guy that is starting actually knows...

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

great! Let the Brohm sweepstakes begin!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"duvaldomo" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    If a was a Defensive Coordinator, I would not give 2 flips who started for this team.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Tjack should be our guy in the longrun, but if Holcomb starts get ready for QB controversy.
    Holcomb is far, far better than Bollinger, and will likely play well if given the opportunity.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819