Star Tribune picks for tonight

Look I know that this is a tough game that could go either way but look at what the StarTribune beat crew says will happen tonight:

Sid Hartman Vikings 28, Saints 27
    Patrick Reusse Vikings 31, Saints 27
    Jim Souhan Saints 31, Vikings 27
    Judd Zulgad Saints 38, Vikings 28
    Chip Scoggins Saints 31, Vikings 24
    Mark Craig Vikings 27, Saints 24

I am not looking for them to be out and out homer's, but cmon, a little optimism would be nice.......

My take is this if we can control tempo and the possession game we win.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Star Tribune picks for tonight

What I disagree with is the Saints winning by big margins and the Vikes winning by small margins. I think it's the other way around. If the Vikes can get a lead, so they can let the Big Dogs Eat, then it's going to go Vikes way big.

I don't think the Saints will win big if they win at all.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Hard to pick against the Super Bowl team that has won the opener the last 10 years.

marstc09 wrote:
    Hard to pick against the Super Bowl team that has won the opener the last 10 years.
    Agreed.
    This format is in its 6th year (Superbowl Winner getting opening game). All 5 prior games have gone to the home team. Something to me says this game is just a little different however. I dont think that any of the previous years were Conference Champion matchups.

My only thing is that they are writing for the local paper, not setting the Vegas line. I just think that they wouldve been better served to pick a close game and give the edge to the Vikes. WE have 15 more weeks to talk about the teams shortcomings. Optimism should rule the day for week 1.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

marstc09 wrote:
    I think the energy of this game is different given how the NFCC game was played and ended, compared to other SB championship teams opener.

But you are right the hoopla can definitely affect the result.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

gagarr wrote:
    What I disagree with is the Saints winning by big margins and the Vikes winning by small margins. I think it's the other way around. If the Vikes can get a lead, so they can let the Big Dogs Eat, then it's going to go Vikes way big.

I don't think the Saints will win big if they win at all.
    Biggest margin I see is 10 points....I don't consider two scores to be that "big".

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I don't know. I am kindof torn on this a bit. Seems everyone thinks this is gonna turn into a "High Flying" chuck it around event.

I am leaning more towards, atleast in the first half, a game that both teams will try to establish the run so that they can keep the others offense off the field.

Both teams love to run the ball. Both teams can chuck it around if they want. One team (Aint's) relied on thier defense last year to get some cheap points which caused the other team to get out of thier gameplan.

My pick.....Vikes 27, Aint's 20.

Vikes will run the shit out of AD (who will get two scores) with Shanc catching another one in tight. PH and Cam will catch alot of short stuff when we need to keep a drive on the line and BB will be quiet as he is used more along the lines of a deep route runner, mostly across the middle as he clears stuff out for PH and Cam short. Longwell will cap a couple long drives with FG's.

Aint's will basically get desparate when they get down (sometime around the middle of the 2nd qtr) and start chucking it around but our D will hold them off in the end.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Saints were lucky last year.

Tonight the luck runs out.

33-27 Vikings win.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think the Saints are the clear favorite. The fact that half of the local writers pick us is more than fair.

In 09 the vikings finished 9-0 at home and 4-5 on the road.
    If this game was at the dome I'd be much much more confident.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    atleast in the first half, a game that both teams will try to establish the run so that they can keep the others offense off the field.
    I strongly disagree with that. Saints want Favre on the field, trust me, they want to knock him around and rattle him and our o-line. I think they're relishing the chance to play d as much as they are o.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.